Wiring help

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker here....been reading up and finally putting together a system. ordered a used computer and new HDD this week and will be getting the rest ordered over the next coming weeks. Had a question on options to achieve the following:

my router is located in my living room next to my TV. The computer is going to need to be in a different location. my plan is to run Cat5 from the router to the PC running blue iris.

i would like the ability to run a video feed to the living room TV to view camera footage. i dont have a great spot for a monitor near the computer location. i think the remote mouse/keyboard isnt an issue since i can use wireless.... but how to get the video feed over? i heard the limit on HDMI is 50 feet and I think it would be over that. thoughts?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can run HDMI over CAT6 with a converter. You can access the video using a browser, without needing HDMI, by using the web interface, UI3, built into Blue Iris from, literally, anywhere simply by enter the IP of the Blue Iris server with the port number, as an example 192.168.1.xxx:81. That means you can use any PC, tablet or phone to view the video. Best to use a VPN rather than port forwarding for accessing the video from outside your LAN though.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
You can run HDMI over CAT6 with a converter. You can access the video using a browser, without needing HDMI, by using the web interface, UI3, built into Blue Iris from, literally, anywhere simply by enter the IP of the Blue Iris server with the port number, as an example 192.168.1.xxx:81. That means you can use any PC, tablet or phone to view the video. Best to use a VPN rather than port forwarding for accessing the video from outside your LAN though.
the HDMI over CAT6 would work i think, thank you. ill run a spare line for that. if that causes any issues, i guess i could just review on a laptop and stream that to the TV as well. that might be easier anyway now that i think about it. since i would be on my LAN, no issues accessing thru the laptop and broadcasting.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
HDMI cables can go 100ft without issues. But any longer, they come with a built in usb powered video amp. I've seen them be as long as 250 feet being sold.

Reaction score
In a emergency pinch, I was able to use HDMI at 100' since my Blue Iris machine was downstairs and my smart tv was upstairs without any issue (2 years ago? whatever version HDMI was at that time). I later added chrome to the TCL Roku TV (since Chrome was not native, it was a pain) which enabled me to use UI3 to view cameras. However, if it's not a smart TV you are working with...a long HDMI cable could still be an option along with others mentioned here.