Wiring POE cameras through the screened porch and crawlspace

jw2dotorg

n3wb
Reaction score
Planning out the addition of 2 more POE cameras on the outside of my screened porch, because -- of course -- I didn't ask for enough homeruns when I built the house. On the side of the porch in the picture, I could split the exiting Cat6 and run another cable along the soffit, but since I plan another cable on the other side, I might as well run 2 homeruns (and I prefer to not mess with a splitter).

My idea so far: horizontally, from the chase pipe in the crawlspace, out the bottom of the screened porch, across to the downspout. Then, vertically up the downspout all the way to the top and then through the fascia board either into the soffit or along the bottom/outside. Wire is already exposed anyway, so not sure it matters all that much.

• Exterior rated Cat6 cable (black) - looks like there's a link from here: IP Camera Installation Tools & Accessories
  • Something to fasten the cable to the downspout
  • Assuming a spade bit to punch through the wood under the screened porch
  • Some 0000 stainless steel wool to fill the hole?

1723999245358.png

Also, I'll swap out the floodlight with something 'black' and a bit better than the cheapest thing you can find a a big box store, but I'll keep something there to provide additional lighting at night.

Yes, there are a thousand ways to do this, and my priority is mostly detection and observation.

From the photo below, #1 is existing camera, and #2 and #3 are new:

1) covers the screened porch entrance
2) planning a 180 degree dual lens to just capture as much yard as possible
3) Possibly another 5442 for the fence gate and general side of the house

1723999158845.png

While I'm still digging through all the forums for clues, I'm looking for any tools and techniques to make this as clean as it can be, and beat out the weather and critters.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  • Something to fasten the cable to the downspout
I use these UV-rated screw clamps, single cable & 3/4" version, drive them with a drill-driver with a 1/4" hex head or Phillips head bit. On Hardi shake siding use a masonry bit and tap in a 1/4" plastic expanding anchor, these will screw right in.

Remove downspout section if you REALLY want to hide them, then re-attach downspout.

clips.jpg

• Assuming a spade bit to punch through the wood under the screened porch
If cable is un-terminated with male RJ-45's, a 3/8" will do it.
  • Some 0000 stainless steel wool to fill the hole?
Consider G & B Duct Seal....won't rust or harden, is removable.

G-B_ductseal-1lb.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First, if you wanted to do as you describe, it would be easier to run conduit straight up the wall rather than try to follow the downspout. Bending a slight offset into the conduit.

There are probably better options.
1. The walls of the screened porch aren't insulated. Can't tell how it's all put together, but it may be possible to take advantage of existing wall cavities.
2. In your picture, you could run a conduit straight up the wall to the left of the vertical all the way from the crawlspace into the soffit and then fish cables in the soffit / porch attic to the locations you want cameras.
3. You could to the same thing, but remove the vertical trim board and run it through a router table cutting a small channel for a couple cables.
4. You can get a PoE powered PoE switch and put it in the soffit and fish wires to other locations you want cameras. This type of switch has to be supplied by PoE+/PoE++ (802.3bt)

jw2dotorg

n3wb
Reaction score
2. In your picture, you could run a conduit straight up the wall to the left of the vertical all the way from the crawlspace into the soffit and then fish cables in the soffit / porch attic to the locations you want cameras.
True, it would have cleaner results, but certainly more work to fish cables through the porch attic (and patch holes, etc.). In my head, I'm imagining conduit that is painted to match the siding color. I'll dig around for examples to check the wife approval factor box.

3. You could to the same thing, but remove the vertical trim board and run it through a router table cutting a small channel for a couple cables.
Well, now you're getting all fancy. Any visual examples?

4. You can get a PoE powered PoE switch and put it in the soffit and fish wires to other locations you want cameras. This type of switch has to be supplied by PoE+/PoE++ (802.3bt)
Something bugs me about using a POE switch, even though I just checked the port utilization and it's no where near saturating a 1GB link. (...but, I have a 48-port switch with plenty of ports. Sigh).