Wondering if this would be possible

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello, I live in a small village and would like to set up a community CCTV system

Would it be technically possible to have multiple IP camera's around the village (on peoples homes, connected to their computer & their internet) and sending the images to one central Blue Iris computer ?

The 'remote' PC's wouldn't run BI, they'd just act as a point for the camera feed to access & transmit across the internet

I'm trying to figure out the best cost-effective way of blanketing our community with CCTV coverage

Any suggestions would be ever so gratefully received

Thanks in advance & Seasons Greetings to you all

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So these homeowners would all use their personal net connection to stream upload 24/7 real time video? mmmmmmmm.....

How many locations/cameras are you guessing?

You may want to check out a service such as Eagle Eye.
Cloud Video Surveillance | Eagle Eye Networks

I dont normally suggest Cloud service but you may have no other cost effective choice.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And those people would let their PC's on 24/7 ?
Wouldn't do it personally, but you could use port forwarding to make the cam accessible over the internet. Use a strong password (and non default ports), and add the (remote) cam to your blueiris setup. Depending on your internet speed (and number of cams), you might have to limit the FPS.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @bigredfish - do you know if this would be technically possible with BlueIris ? ?
Not a BI user so can’t say for sure but I would think it would.

The bigger problem I think is going to be the 24/7 streaming upload of the video feeds from your neighbors personal internet connections. Recommend calling a Pro

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
technically possible? yes. practical and cost-effective? probably not...

each cam would need to be directly accessible from the BI server over the internet (or town wifi or what-have-you),
so there's the security concerns there, as well as the bandwidth (upload from each cam might be 500kbps, depending on the cams of course)...

Now, if there's already some sort of town wi-fi setup, where some level of security could provided at the AP and the local bandwidth is not metered, it might make sense...

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
technically possible? yes. practical and cost-effective? probably not...

each cam would need to be directly accessible from the BI server over the internet (or town wifi or what-have-you),
so there's the security concerns there, as well as the bandwidth (upload from each cam might be 500kbps, depending on the cams of course)...

Now, if there's already some sort of town wi-fi setup, where some level of security could provided at the AP and the local bandwidth is not metered, it might make sense...
Thanks @pozzello

Ideally would be looking for other fibre broadband users like me with both high speed connections (66Mbps D/l, 17Mbps U/l) and unlimited data - mine is capped by a 'fair use' policy, provided I don't exceed 50Tb per month ...... so fairly safe on that count ;)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score