Workarounds for camera Quota when using shared NAS

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As per the title Im looking for workarounds so I can set a per camera quota when using a single 4TB NAS with 4 cameras (3 x 2-CD2132 and 1 x 2-CD2142). Unfortunately I've currently got a single bay WD My Cloud and that doesnt support user quotas, only the 2 bay version does.

So has anyone found a workaround for this issue?

One way I've thought of is setting the picture quota high. So say I wanted to give each camera 1TB of the 4TB NAS, I could set the Quota settings on each camera to allocate:

25% - Recordings
75% - Pictures
I presume this would work, but am learning that things aren't always as expected in Hikvision world :/

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Having done some further reading looks like my proposed workaround may not work :(

From a couple of other threads it appears if the reported NAS space decreases for any reason (i.e. one of the other cameras writing to it) the storage will uninitialise. I'm setting up the other cameras to test (need to update FW and do MTD hack). But would appreciate if anyone can save me the trouble by confirming this is a wild goose chase and I need to dump this NAS for one that can do quotas.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But would appreciate if anyone can save me the trouble by confirming this is a wild goose chase and I need to dump this NAS for one that can do quotas.
For the older firmware, eg 5.3.0 or earlier you either need to the ability to create shares of a specified volume size (not free space) usually with NFS, or the ability to limit a specific user to a quota, usually with SMB/CIFS.
The volume size maximum is a bit over 200GB.
And either way - you need a share per camera or NVR, you can't have more than one camera using the same share.
There have been a couple of posts where a much larger volume than the approx. 200GB was working OK, on newer firmware, but we didn't get any firm detail.

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For the older firmware, eg 5.3.0 or earlier you either need to the ability to create shares of a specified volume size (not free space) usually with NFS, or the ability to limit a specific user to a quota, usually with SMB/CIFS.
The volume size maximum is a bit over 200GB.
And either way - you need a share per camera or NVR, you can't have more than one camera using the same share.
There have been a couple of posts where a much larger volume than the approx. 200GB was working OK, on newer firmware, but we didn't get any firm detail.
Thanks for replying.

I do have a share per camera on the NAS, i.e. \camera1 \camera2 \camera3 \camera4. I also have a user account for each camera on the NAS. The issue is the Single bay WD My Cloud NAS doesnt support quota's per user, so the camera see's the full NAS capacity. Unfortunately when I checked before buying I hadn't noticed only the two bay version has the ability to allocate quotas per user.

The UK cameras I have are on 5.4.5 (updated due to recent thread on here about backdoor in earlier versions). The chinese ones are from 2013, so I presume I could update them after I get the MTD Hack done? I presume they havent removed anything significant in the newer FW for the old cameras? Its mainly the smart events I need.

bomack

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using nas4free with a single 3 TB drive. Zfs filesystem so I can create multiple shares. Each camera has a single share and some are 400 GB each. Even old 2232 with 5.2 firmware supports 400 GB share.

Without single shares that support quota you won't be able to use a single drive unless your NAS box can break it up.

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion the mycloud was a waste of money :/

I have an n54l on which i now plan to install expenology. I'll strip the drive from the my cloud so it wasn't a total loss (about £30 more then a WD Red 4TB would have cost me anyway). As a bonus xpenology also does openvpn, so that solves the remote access issue.

I currently have one of the cameras writing to the 4TB mycloud. It's on 4.5 and has been fine for several days. The other cameras fail to complete format, I presume because the first cam writes to the drive. But even if I could get them running the lack of quotas on the mycloud will mean they drop off eventually anyway. So expenology it is.

bomack

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is the settings for my zfs dataset for my 2232 camera. I then have a cifs share setup for the dataset which the camera connects to. Camera sees it as 400gb of storage and formats it. Been running since December 2015 if not earlier. One thing I was wrong.. my 2332 is running 5.1.0 firmware. Never attempted to update the Chinese model..

Screenshot_2017-04-15-16-21-22.png