Working on new Hikvision 4mp cameras

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm replacing my Foscams with rebranded Hikvisions and it looks like a lot of work to get them the way I would like. I don't think I'm going to be able to use them at 4mp. The difference in cpu usage is quite an increase from my 1.3mp Foscams, I use Blue Iris. Lowering to 2mp helps some, plus the night videos were very grainy at 4mp, still grainy but better at 2mp. The biggest change in cpu usage is when BI is maximized and when viewing these larger videos in BI it is common to hit 90-100% cpu, With BI minimized cpu is 42-45%. When BI is maximized cpu is 60-62%, memory used by BI about 625mb. I know I could use a better pc but I'd like to get these cameras dialed in better first. With the Foscams I could turn IR off & on from BI. With the Hikvision I have them on auto night/day until I can figure out profiles better? Here are some pics.
Foscam 1.3mp cloudy day

Hikvision cloudy day at 4mp

Hikvision more sunlight at 2mp

Foscam 1.3mp night

Hikvision at 2mp same neighbor driving by

Attachments

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, don't know about other peoples experience but one of my turrets had been up less than 24 hours and I had my first spider web, so we'll see if the turrets are less spider prone in the long run.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your pictures. Which model Hikvision camera did you purchase?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
what are your image settings? is the wdr on?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
what are your image settings? is the wdr on?
wdr is not on, like many others I'm not really happy with the wdr at this time, hopefully it can be improved. I have dnr at 50. Does higher help at night but cause ghosting in daytime? I tweaked the image settings a little yesterday to get color I liked better, brightness=31, contrast=45, saturation=49, sharpness=100. Here is a pic with a little more sun. This is at 2mp, I may try 4mp again but I didn't like the 4mp at night. I could take a pic with wdr on but you've probably seen enough of those already to see how wdr is looking.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Another thing I just realized is that I don't see any of the flashing that I heard some people mention on their 4mp cams.