Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

cardazio

n3wb
Reaction score
Spent some time dialing in the settings before going on vacation. It's great to see that the first instance where the people who were bothering us for the past 4 years came to visit I got a clear enough image for positive identification by the police.

Set it to manual exposure and 0-9 ms, 0-10 gain, 12 fps, 7168 kbps CBR. Illuminator on full and a dim porch light is used.

There is still some smearing and loss of detail, so will need to fine tune some more, but the quality is sufficient at night now it seems.

cardazio

n3wb
Reaction score
Last night there was another visitoraand I would like to improve the output (less pixelation etc). Any ideas given my setting and the scene?

Attachments

cardazio

n3wb
Reaction score
Change to H264 and a minimum 8192 bitrate. H265 macroblocks too much.

Turn on 3D NR. These cameras have a lot of processing and still needs some NR.

Why run in B/W and not color with the LED?
Thanks for the tip. I got the impression h265 was superior in most ways to h264 after reading about it online.

B/W should give better performance and I think I compared the two modes and found it to be correct. Changed to color during the day though. Was in bw by mistake.

cardazio

n3wb
Reaction score
Also remember that digital zoom will result in pixilation. You're zooming in on a fixed amount of pixels and as the magnification, which is what digital zoom actually is, increases each pixel will become larger resulting in the blocky, pixilated, appearance.
The compression really made a difference. See attached images
H265
H264H
H264H and noise reduction
Which H264 mode should I use? Got 3 to choose from

Attachments

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Before we talked with @Wildcat_1 about the H.264/H.265
Here is his opinion.
The only thing you gain from h265 is smaller files and it’s not worth the quality drop especially in fast motion and high contrast areas. I recommend and dial in all users to h264H which gives you a great image overall

@cardazio I see you use B/W color for this cam, a lttle waste on its fantastic full color capacity.

Big moonlight :p
1652450939158.png

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I generally use h.264.h

I believe @Wildcat_1 also recommends this

* you need to look at images in a real computer monitor not a phone. And you may be looking at low res on the phone.
Thanks for tagging me in @bigredfish, correct h.264H is what I recommend. For those that might be interested, did a post HERE about this

cardazio

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys The 3.6mm lens is out off stocks now on Amazon, will be in around 10days.
Can buy directly if need fast.

6mm version will be ready at middle June. Will get one to make a fast testing here.
Looking forward to a version with a longer focal length. Would need a camera at a lower angle for those perps whom are wearing baseball caps :). Will there be a successor any time soon using IMX585 btw?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I got the impression h265 was superior in most ways to h264 after reading about it online.

B/W should give better performance and I think I compared the two modes and found it to be correct. Changed to color during the day though. Was in bw by mistake.
This will explain H264 versus H265 a little better.

H265 in theory provides more storage as it compresses differently, but part of that compression means it macro blocks big areas of the image that it thinks isn't moving. It further takes more processing power of the already small CPU in the camera.

In theory it is supposed to need 30% less storage than H264, but most of us have found it isn't that much. Mine was less than few minutes per day.

The left image is H264, so all the blocks are the same size corresponding to the resolution of the camera. H265 takes areas that it doesn't think has motion and makes them into bigger blocks and in doing so lessens the resolution yet increases the CPU demand to develop these larger blocks.

In theory H265 is supposed to need half the bitrate because of the macroblocking. But if there is a lot of motion in the image, then it becomes a pixelated mess. The only way to get around that is a higher bitrate. But if you need to run the same bitrate for H265 as you do H264, then the storage savings is zero. Storage is computed based on multiplying bitrate, FPS, and resolution.

1638584913822.png

In my testing I have one camera that sees a parked car in front of my house. H265 sees that the car isn't moving, so it macroblocks the whole car and surrounding area. Then the car owner walked up to the car and got in and the motion is missed because the macroblock being so large. Or if it catches it, because the bitrate is low, it is a pixelated mess during the critical capture point and by the time H265 adjusts to there is now motion, the ideal capture is missed. That is what you are experiencing with motion.

In my case, the car is clear and defined in H264, but is blurry and soft edges in H265.

H265 is one of those theory things that sounds good, but reality use is much different.

As always, YMMV. But do not use Codec with BI or you may have trouble.

Reaction score
Quick question, I picked up two Color4K-X-2.8MM. Does this camera have built in audio? It seems too, but I read that it needs a external mic....

Attachments