Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

Domotek

n3wb
Reaction score
Does it exist in black ? It's doing my head in. Why put up a marketing a pic with it in black on the official website when i can't find it at all.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think it comes in black but you likely can't afford the $6000 minimum purchase to obtain a pallet of the black :rofl:

I feel your pain though. What about masking off the lens, and hitting it with a nice semi-satin black spray?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, paint it to match whatever color you need. I color all of mine after bench testing. Blends right in with the house. They have some of the peel off paint if you ever need to take it off. Or a wrap. Lot's of options if you are open to it.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does it exist in black ? It's doing my head in. Why put up a marketing a pic with it in black on the official website when i can't find it at all.
My desktop computer is black. The keyboard is black. The speakers are black. The monitors are black. The monitor stands are black. The printer is black. The televisions are black. The cell phone is black. The stereo equipment is black. The Blu-ray player is black. The CD player is black. The Roku units are black. The mouse pad is black. The mailbox is black. The vehicle tires are black. My shoes are black. My belts are black. The NVR is black. All the cameras are black except the two used for license plates. Yeah, I'm kind of waiting for future cameras to be black before I purchase any more. LOL

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My desktop computer is black. The keyboard is black. The speakers are black. The monitors are black. The monitor stands are black. The printer is black. The televisions are black. The cell phone is black. The stereo equipment is black. The Blu-ray player is black. The CD player is black. The Roku units are black. The mouse pad is black. The mailbox is black. The vehicle tires are black. My shoes are black. My belts are black. The NVR is black. All the cameras are black except the two used for license plates. Yeah, I'm kind of waiting for future cameras to be black before I purchase any more. LOL
Your Favorite Song? :headbang: :cool:

Domotek

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep, paint it to match whatever color you need. I color all of mine after bench testing. Blends right in with the house. They have some of the peel off paint if you ever need to take it off. Or a wrap. Lot's of options if you are open to it.
Are you suggesting to use some kind of liquid rubber coating ? In any way, i know painters that do highend residential paiting. And they are used to painting everything in a specific designated color. They use two component systems with a spray gun. That's all i know. But it's just that this is just another step in the sale when i just want it in black :smash:. But really time and time again. When you see the performance of this specific unit, there is no way around it. It's crazy good and white it will be then.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You get heaps of snow there, correct? You won't even see it after a few days, and the black would only stick out. Mine is mounted out in the open, with zero overhang for protection and right now there must be 6" of snow heaped atop it. I was watching the live feed in the middle of the night last week, when I saw a ghostly figure fly from top to bottom of frame, and out of sight and it was accompanied with a loud sickly sound like an inhalation. I nearly crapped. Played it back again and again .. turned out to be a huge snow load finally falling off of the top of the camera. Haha

Get the camera, you'll love it. For me it was an enormous upgrade to what I was using. No regerts. :)

Edit: I found the clip .. you have to imagine sitting there after 2 AM, chilling watching the live feed with the volume up...I think it was more the sound which got me. :eek:

View attachment Snow load comp.mov

Last edited:

fvdwerdt

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you suggesting to use some kind of liquid rubber coating ? In any way, i know painters that do highend residential paiting. And they are used to painting everything in a specific designated color. They use two component systems with a spray gun. That's all i know. But it's just that this is just another step in the sale when i just want it in black :smash:. But really time and time again. When you see the performance of this specific unit, there is no way around it. It's crazy good and white it will be then.
Plastidip spray works perfect.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I've painted a few of mine black. Haven't done this one (yet) but looks like it would be fairly easy to do. The whole front part around the lens already is black. That's the hardest part to mask off but don't need to.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's not hard to mask at all. Strips of masking tape, over lapping each other, tucked tight to the edge using a credit card. Trim using a single edge razor blade or small utility knife (be careful they're very sharp). Light sand, wipe with denatured alcohol, couple of coats with sufficient drying time between coats, peel the tape, mount the camera. Don't forget to stuff a tiny piece of paper towel into the mic hole, pointed tweezers can get it out easily when you're done painting.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
This one has all of the little holes for the speaker too. Looks like the casing might come apart without too much trouble. If I did it, think I'd probably try that and do it right. Better and probably easier than masking things.

Thanamite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know where in EU these IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED cameras are available as cheap as possible.

The cameras must be Dahua branded genuine international versions. The local dealers here in Finland are selling this model with extraordinary high prices which are out of this world and in addition they need to order these for me, no stock. I need 4 pcs of these. I have understood from different sources that street prices in EU/US could be as low as something like 150€ (without VAT) with small selling margins meaning that the seller is concentrating on volumes and market share rather than ripping off a few loyal idiot corporate customers. The cameras need to be original Dahua branded cameras with full warranty and able to normally upgrade official Dahua multilanguage firmwares.

It seems to me that most dealers are security companies and want to sell projects and if I just want cameras there is a hefty margin (like 300%+). I just need cameras. I have CAT7 cabling and 10pcs of normal IR cameras now and want to replace some with Full-color models. All are for my home real estate usage. There seems to be more and more junkies and "communists" sneaking around and stealing everything that is not securely bolted to huge concrete blocks.

Someone said here that to get the best prices I need register as reseller (or alike) to Dahua Europe. I just could not find how. I have a company which I could use for this purpose too. But just dunno how.

I know Andy from China is offering this in Amazon/Aliexpress but they are non-branded cameras with non-official (hacked?) firmwares. Unfortunately in my mind in that case they are not future-proof enough for me.
I got a number of this cameras from Andy's Amazon store and I am also interested to get a statement from Andy that they will accept the official Dahua firmware. For example Andy's latest firmware is as of Sep/2021 while Dahua updated the firmware as of 2022-01-10:
I am not saying that Dahua's firmware is better just because it is newer, but if this continues, five years later Dahua's firmware may get better. Being able to use the Dahua firmware is a future insurance for me.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I got a number of this cameras from Andy's Amazon store and I am also interested to get a statement from Andy that they will accept the official Dahua firmware. For example Andy's latest firmware is as of Sep/2021 while Dahua updated the firmware as of 2022-01-10:
I am not saying that Dahua's firmware is better just because it is newer, but if this continues, five years later Dahua's firmware may get better. Being able to use the Dahua firmware is a future insurance for me.
First off, both of the FW branches you mention are actually created by Dahua development. However as I mentioned above, with the work that myself and others do on testing and feeding back bugs, improvements, recommendations to Dahua (SmartIR improvements or SMD 3 re-work for an example) this forum benefits from beta builds, special FW builds (think 49225 PTZ re-enabling of Auto Tracking for example when Dahua disabled it as an official stance) that are either ahead of 'official' release OR may not be released on the main Dahua FW release branch. Either way, you absolutely have options to use the 'special' builds OR the Dahua release channel builds as you see fit and works for you. HTH

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's important to note, unless you are having an issue it is best to NOT update firmware just because.
There is always a risk of bricking or breaking something that is working with firmware upgrades.
If it's not broke, don't fix it.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It's important to note, unless you are having an issue it is best to NOT update firmware just because.
There is always a risk of bricking or breaking something that is working with firmware upgrades.
If it's not broke, don't fix it.
That advice is so hard to follow! We all want the "new shiny" features that a firmware represents. :cool:

But I agree 100%........

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And to add, here are issues I have seen people report here where they were upgrading just for the sake of upgrading:
  • A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind,
  • The Dahua 49225 PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind,
  • A Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen.
  • A Hikvision camera that the user lost ability to control the LED light function at night.
  • Countless other instances where the camera simply bricked and became useless.
  • Countless examples where the camera went into Chinese.
Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.