Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-ColorX-4K / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Intro

I’m excited to be doing another Worlds First Review. this time as I mentioned in the full color thread, I’ve been testing the new Dahua full color 4K camera. This was provided courtesy of @EMPIRETECANDY for a fair, honest, no holds barred, unbiased review. I’ll attempt to answer any and all comments as always BUT please keep those to the main topic of this thread. Andy’s model for this unit is IPC-ColorX-4K so remember to ask for that if you order from him. I’ve included both model numbers so people don’t get confused by the spec sheet.​
So lets jump in and put this potential night hunter to the test.​

The Camera

So here it is, the first Dahua 4K full color. This type of cam has been wanted in the market for a long time and although there are other 4K options, many have fallen short on delivering on the promise of ‘usable’ full color at night. This cam could change all that. With 4 illuminators (2 more than it's Hik competitor) allowing for near/far adjustments + bright f1.0 1/1.2” optics and custom SOC with advanced algorithms for detecting and utilizing light this cam has a real chance of becoming a new addition to setups looking to benefit from 4K without compromising image quality within real-world use. We’ll see as I put this through some varying light tests and compare it to the current pick of most, the 5442.​

Mounting Options

The mount options for the IPC-ColorX-4K are:​

• PFA130-E (Round Junction Box)
  • PFA122 (Square 3 hole Junction Box)
  • PFA152-E (Pole Mount)
TIP: While you can always use the PFA130E round junction box for aesthetics, I always like to offer another option which is why I list the PFA122 below (not listed on the standard spec sheet). Using a PFA 122 allows you to fast switch cams by removing the face place (with cam attached) and then placing your new/next camera mounted to another faceplate (can be PFA 122 or PFA 121 face plate) and easily attaching it to the same underlying box. Therefore if you switch your cameras out often, something that might interest you especially if you move between 3 screw hole equipped cams and 4 screw hole.​

Onto the specs

This is part of the Dahua Wizmind range so not only gets object filtering (Human, Vehicle, Non-Vehicle) as well as Face Detection, Crowd Distribution Mapping, Video Metadata and SMD (currently 2.0 but will support 3.0 when FW released). The usual IVS rules including Intrusion, Tripwire, Loitering, Parking Detection exist BUT an additional rule type (Object Monitoring) exists which allows you to track Object Placement & Object removal.​

Camera Details

Image Sensor - 1/1.2” STARVIS™ CMOS​
Effective Pixels - 3840(H) x 2160(V), 8 Megapixels​
RAM: 128MB​
ROM: 1GB​
Electronic Shutter Speed - 1/3s~1/100,000s​
Minimum Illumination
Color: 0.0005Lux@F1.0;​
Illumination Distance - Up to 40m (131.2 ft)​
Illuination On/Off Control - Auto/Manual (Near & Far controls)​
Illumination LEDs - 4 (warm light)​
Lens Information
Focal Length (Fixed Cams)
2,8mm, 3.6mm (We’ll be discussing the 3.6mm version as thats the one I have testing)​
Max. Aperture - F1.0​
Field of View
H: 91°​
V: 50°​
D: 106°​
Close Focus Distance
5.4m (17.7 ft)​
DORI Distance
3.6mm
Detect - 120.4m (395.1ft)​
Observe - 48.2m (158.1ft)​
Recognize - 24.1m (79.1ft)​
Identify - 12.0m (39.4ft)​
Size
Here’s the engineering diagram for dimensions and remember to check out the pics in post 2​
Breakdown Of Posts

As usual I will be covering configuration, setup function, tips and tricks on how to best utilize and obviously a rundown of image quality in day/night capture scenarios. Initial vids and pics in post 2, web GUI pics in post 3, feature breakdown and testing in post 4, tips and tricks on how to make these features work and other settings / menu functions in post 5 and a summary of findings / recommendations in post 6.​
The key area to focus this review will be night performance although day will be tested too of course. For night testing my goal will be to push this camera hard from no light (only on-board illuminators) then to single bulb then to spotlight and then to how to balance a scene. I want all to clearly understand the areas the camera shines in, any limitations it has and what is needed to pull the most from it in your location.​
I’ll also put the DORI range to the test at day and night.​

This will be an interesting one, you ready ? I know I am, lets go…………………………………

Attachments

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Post #2 - Pics & Video's

Size comparison pics with each model listed in the image. Here I compare a 5241-Z12, 5241 (3.6mm fixed) to the Color4K-X.

3 Cam Size Comparison - Pic 1.jpg 3 Cam Size Comparison - Pic 2.jpg

Daytime Video

As mentioned in my post below, I continue to report any issues and bugs back and have Dahua work on them. There is an issue I see currently with contrasting (dark/shadow vs light) adjustments by the camera that affects day & night. I do show how to adjust for this with WDR and the difference this causes in settings in the interim while Dahua continue to work on the fix that should be released to me later this week, early next.​
Here is the day video side by side with 5442 then with frame synced overlay. Be sure to choose 4K. Timestamps are in the description and will appear on the video timeline once YouTube finishes encoding. Enjoy !​

Night Video

Tested on current FW (awaiting new bug fix release from Dahua as of 6/16/21). Details on this video in the post HERE. Be sure to use the timestamps / chapters and forcefully select 4K so you can see full res.​

Last edited:

ljw2k

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
· Built-in warm illuminator, and the max. illumination distance is 40 m with 4 LED's

Hikvision 8mp colorVu achieves 60 m with only 2 Illuminators

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
· Built-in warm illuminator, and the max. illumination distance is 40 m with 4 LED's

Hikvision 8mp colorVu achieves 60 m with only 2 Illuminators
I would expect the Hik to be further as it would be matched to the 4mm (Hik most sold config) optics vs 3.6 (Dahua) therefore some difference to be expected due to that. However lets also not forget that those are manufacturer stated illumination distances and lets be honest at either of them 40m (131ft) and 60m (196ft) the usefulness of the illumination provided at those distances is next to useless from a target recognition and even in some cases acquisition perspective (under current AI algoorithm limitations) especially on 3.6mm and 4mm bullet cams.

I will however be looking at getting my hands on the Hik for direct comparison there too later.

ljw2k

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would think between the 3.6mm & 4mm wouldn't make that much difference or very little and as you noted in bold 4 illuminators (2 more than it's Hik competitor) sounds like the Dahua will be twice as good which it won't.
I use the Hiks LED's for my yard view and are excellent compared to without them. I will look forward to a side by side comparison with the DS-2CD2T87G2-L as I do prefer the Dahua Web GUI so hoping this new Dahua is better than now the old Hik comparison.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I would think between the 3.6mm & 4mm wouldn't make that much difference or very little and as you noted in bold 4 illuminators (2 more than it's Hik competitor) sounds like the Dahua will be twice as good which it won't.
I use the Hiks LED's for my yard view and are excellent compared to without them. I will look forward to a side by side comparison with the DS-2CD2T87G2-L as I do prefer the Dahua Web GUI so hoping this new Dahua is better than now the old Hik comparison.
There is not much difference BUT that is where cam manufacturers often times look to adjust illumination reach/distance is to pair with the underlying optics which is why I'm not surprised that their stated range is different. To be clear no one (speak for myself here) expects this to be twice as good and any illumination vs none (i.e. no direct light source such as bulb etc) will be an improvement but as I said, the ability for any cam with a 3.6/4mm to accurately detect (for things like SMD algorithms etc) out to 196ft (in the case of the Hik) is pushing it and certainly no one should expect evidential detail to be pulled from anywhere close to that distance relating to facial features etc at that range. As I mention the 4 LED's give more control over near vs far illumination and more control is always good :). This also ensures that IF the illuminators are your only source of light this control is important to ensure washout is kept to a minimum while maintaining range.

Yes, I'm really interested in testing against the Hik as a later test. I'm also interested in testing the final Dahua FW release based on the bugs I've found and fedback which will also impact overall image quality. Stay tuned. we'll see how manufacturer claims stack up against real world performance and usability and with direct comparison to 5442 + Hik.

ljw2k

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I look forward to that test WC as I know you will test both to their full ability and performance and report an unbiased report back as always. I am hoping the Dahua comes out on top as I am in the market for a few more cams including a new PTZ .

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I look forward to that test WC as I know you will test both to their full ability and performance and report an unbiased report back as always. I am hoping the Dahua comes out on top as I am in the market for a few more cams including a new PTZ .
Thanks for the kind words @ljw2k. Will be doing my best and as you know I'm the biggest advocate for NOT using color at night (as up to recently this has been a gimmick in all but the best of lighting situations) therefore I intend to pull these apart for real world use :)

Rob2020

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Wildcat, really looking forward to the test and evaluation. This new camera really has my attention.

One thing I wanted to note, the physical dimensions of the Dahua is significantly larger than the HIK. This won't matter for most but my wife about had a stroke when she saw my Dahua Full Color Bullet (4239 and mount) compared to the more trim 5442 turrets. I am all in on Dahua, I own no HIK's, I just wanted to mention the size difference for those who might be debating between the two cameras.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Wildcat, really looking forward to the test and evaluation. This new camera really has my attention.

One thing I wanted to note, the physical dimensions of the Dahua is significantly larger than the HIK. This won't matter for most but my wife about had a stroke when she saw my Dahua Full Color Bullet (4239 and mount) compared to the more trim 5442 turrets. I am all in on Dahua, I own no HIK's, I just wanted to mention the size difference for those who might be debating between the two cameras.
I’ll be putting some comparison pics against other Dahuas up tonight. Just working on editing the day video too