Worlds First Review - Dahua IPC-HFW8442-Z4-D47-LI - Dual Sensor Micro PTZ Bullet

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No more words/news, on this beast ?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
No more words/news, on this beast ?
Good timing, was about to update :) The latest I’m hearing is that Dahua may now be re-focusing this cam on the special project markets (large multi unit sales). I’ve provided feedback stating that with the power and versatility of this cam (it really is a crazy good camera this one) that many business (small and large), government (local etc as specific country stipulations allow) along with personal use cases exist and therefore they should reconsider purchase restrictions etc that a ‘special project’ label would place on it. Asking @EMPIRETECANDY to take back the same message and am hopeful that he will be able to secure some stocks for sale.

More as I hear it

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That would be a shame @Wildcat_1 if they take that approach.

As I am sure you would agree, this is probably one of the few cameras that could run on default settings. Not that I suggest one do that, but the mass general public just want to hang a camera up and it works and this one can run such a fast shutter that I think many could get a usable image at night on default.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
That would be a shame @Wildcat_1 if they take that approach.

As I am sure you would agree, this is probably one of the few cameras that could run on default settings. Not that I suggest one do that, but the mass general public just want to hang a camera up and it works and this one can run such a fast shutter that I think many could get a usable image at night on default.
That and as I showed in the videos, the optics are tack sharp on this cam with great DOF controls and expanded versatility in having the dual lenses work with each other for great coverage options.

Ace844

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That and as I showed in the videos, the optics are tack sharp on this cam with great DOF controls and expanded versatility in having the dual lenses work with each other for great coverage options.
@Wildcat_1 ,

Was Dahua able to get the issues worked out that you ID'd and also how has the performance of the camera been over the last 6 mos or so. I'm considering picking2 of these up to deploy. I'm also curious about your thoughts on it's nighttime color performance when compared to IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED?

Last edited:

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 ,

Was Dahua able to get the issues worked out that you ID'd and also how has the performance of the camera been over the last 6 mos or so. I'm considering picking2 of these up to deploy. I'm also curious about your thoughts on it's nighttime color performance when compared to IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED?
The best nighttime color at Dahua is only HFW5849T1, there is no other choice.
IPC-HFW8442-Z4-D47-LI has also become an old camera.
The new model changed to 8MP(8-56mm)+4MP(8-32mm)
But I think it’s better to buy HFW7842H-Z + HFW5849T1-ASE+LED

84.jpg

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 ,

In answer to your question, YES, this camera is still a strong candidate for sure BUT remember it has use cases that are very different than that of the 5849TI and the 5849 is a fixed lens. If you have a use case that the dual lens with PTZ & TZ can fill then this camera is still amazing. The image really is tack sharp as I showed on the 4MP + 4MP. It has been updated to 8MP + 4MP flavors now as well. The only other thing to remember is that for the most part Dahua themselves are selling this under the special project / larger business category therefore although you can still pick these up through certain resellers, they are generally sold in bulk for larger deployments.

The one thing to remember about the 5849TI is that while you gain from the f1.0 as I showed in my review, you do have a short drop-off due to a more shallow DOF caused by the sensor optic pairing. Anti Alias was also a big impact to that cam although I'm glad to say that the latest beta FW (while still having some issues I reported) improves on this a lot.

So in summary, if you have a static scene (no need for PTZ functionality including PTZ activations) and want / need good color at night (without lots of additional light) then the 5849TI is a good choice. If however you don't mind extra light, don't mind the bulkiness this camera brings (it is big), have a need for PTZ functionality, want the luxury of dual, 'regular' optics (not specialized like thermal, full time IR sensors etc), need IR, and like tack sharp images then for the right applications/deployments this cam still has a place IMO.

If you do want to dual camera the solution then as Kobe mentioned you absolutely could throw a 7x42 Ultra in the mix (still love that series) + a 5849 BUT again this all depends on your needs, installation requirements, lighting on scene, distance to target, special application requirements (face detection, recognition, LPR etc).

HTH

Ace844

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The best nighttime color at Dahua is only HFW5849T1, there is no other choice.
IPC-HFW8442-Z4-D47-LI has also become an old camera.
The new model changed to 8MP(8-56mm)+4MP(8-32mm)
But I think it’s better to buy HFW7842H-Z + HFW5849T1-ASE+LED

View attachment 102234
for the updated version what are the sensor sizes?

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
for the updated version what are the sensor sizes?
Dahua CMOS sensor 8MP 1/1.8" + 4MP 1/1.8"
If you want 1/1.2", you may have to buy Hikvision.
Example DS-2CD7U847MWD DS-2CD7C887MWD

G22.jpg

Last edited: