Worth buying Chinese imports?

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I've got an opportunity to purchase a second hand 16 channel Dahua NVR for a really good price.

The model number is listed as DH4216-16P which I'm quite certain is a chinese grey market import version of this model...

I'm not intending to ask the manufacturer for support given that i'm buying it second hand and If I accept the NVR as it is and don't attempt to update the firmware is it worth using?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
With an NVR the bandwidth it is capable of handling is the key. The 42xx series is relatively limited in that regard. 16 channels doesn't equate to 16, 4MP or 16, 8MP cameras. 16, 2MP cameras could exceed its bandwidth capacity. Check the specs very carefully.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With an NVR the bandwidth it is capable of handling is the key. The 42xx series is relatively limited in that regard. 16 channels doesn't equate to 16, 4MP or 16, 8MP cameras. 16, 2MP cameras could exceed its bandwidth capacity. Check the specs very carefully.
Thanks.
I probably wouldn't use all 16 channels anyway.

But what about it being a chinese model.
Is that such a bad thing in itself?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, there's probably no updating firmware, it's probably been hacked to get it into English. If it's not in English I hope you can read Chinese, not sure which dialect.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
But what about it being a chinese model.
Is that such a bad thing in itself?
If you follow the commonly suggested rules of never allowing your CCTV equipment to access the internet and isolating these devices from the rest of your network, then there is little to no risk of "hacking" or other nefarious activity resulting from using this equipment.

However as mentioned, worse case scenario is that all your set up screens are in Chinese. I know you already realize this, but you certainly would not want to ever upgrade the firmware on that equipment because the odds of bricking your devices would be pretty high. If you think the "risk" of those two things is worth the price, then personally I don't think there is an issue in using it.