Worth it / easy to upgrade to 5.6.5 firmware?

Chalker

n3wb
Reaction score
Hoping to get some insight on the 5.6.x series of firmware. From the 5.6.0 release notes, it appears that you can now utilize Chrome/Firefox to access the camera's without any plugins: "Optimize WEB Local service, no plug-in preview and plug-in preview.Browser version of no plug-in preview: Chrome57.0+, Firefox52.0+,Safari11+ " Am I reading that correctly?

I'm currently running version 5.4.5 and 5.5.61 on my cameras without any issues, but think it might be worth it to upgrade everything to 5.6.0? Any drawbacks / pitfalls?

Assuming I do, the 5.5.61 cameras are DS-2CD2563GO-ISYYYYMMDDAAWRCXXXXXXXX models, with firmware version properties B-R-G1-0. Should I use the EU or the US firmware version since they are WR versions?

The 5.4.5 cameras are DS-2CD2532F-IWSYYYYMMDDCCCHXXXXXXX models, which I previously used the Brickfix/MTD process to upgrade. Do I have to use that process again or can I now just flash the US firmware to upgrade?

Final question, my NVR is a DS-7608NI-E2/8P, AARR region running 3.4.95. I know it's EOL, but there is a slightly newer firmware version 3.4.103. Worth it to upgrade? Can I just upgrade it with the EU or US firmware? Any reason not to?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoping to get some insight on the 5.6.x series of firmware. From the 5.6.0 release notes, it appears that you can now utilize Chrome/Firefox to access the camera's without any plugins: "Optimize WEB Local service, no plug-in preview and plug-in preview.Browser version of no plug-in preview: Chrome57.0+, Firefox52.0+,Safari11+ " Am I reading that correctly?
Yes, that's correct.
It's a big plus for Linux users to not have to run Windows to use IE11 for live video.

The 5.4.5 cameras are DS-2CD2532F-IWSYYYYMMDDCCCHXXXXXXX models, which I previously used the Brickfix/MTD process to upgrade. Do I have to use that process again or can I now just flash the US firmware to upgrade?
That's an R0 series camera, 5.4.5 (or 5.4.41) is the last version of firmware for that series.

Chalker

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahhh. I forgot about the R0 series issue. Thanks for pointing that out. I assume I"m safe to upgrade the other ones though? I'm slightly confused which firmware to use with a WR version though.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming I do, the 5.5.61 cameras are DS-2CD2563GO-ISYYYYMMDDAAWRCXXXXXXXX models, with firmware version properties B-R-G1-0. Should I use the EU or the US firmware version since they are WR versions?
I'd use the firmware from the EU portal - I've not studied the US firmware to see if anything has been 'added' to it.
And the same for the NVR.