Would Ir illuminators give me more detail?

Reaction score
Would Ir Illuminators pointing towards the street have given me more detail in this video? I need to be able to identify vehicles make/model easier. These kids are egging our cars but I cant even tell what kind of car it is to try and identify them. Thanks for any help!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is tough gaining more usable detail at night, especially at a distance like that, on a target moving as fast as they were. I think you would need a lot of extra infrared to sufficiently light up just a small portion of the road and of course a higher zoom camera like that varifocal you were talking about in the other thread. Then remember, you will probably still get blurry pics with the camera's default settings. Increase the shutter speed in the camera's image options to combat that, then review footage of cars passing each night to fine tune your exposure time and lighting and camera position.

If you can afford it, a hikvision darkfighter or dahua starlight camera may also help, as they have better low light sensitivity right out of the box.

Reaction score
You really need a more zoomed in camera. IR isn't your issue here if you want to identify the moving car.
Thanks for the reply Del Boy. I have a DS_2CD2632F-IS that that has variable focus from 2.8mm-12mm and should be here today. Will this camera give me enough detail while zoomed in to identify the moving cars?[h=1][/h]

Reaction score
It is tough gaining more usable detail at night, especially at a distance like that, on a target moving as fast as they were. I think you would need a lot of extra infrared to sufficiently light up just a small portion of the road and of course a higher zoom camera like that varifocal you were talking about in the other thread. Then remember, you will probably still get blurry pics with the camera's default settings. Increase the shutter speed in the camera's image options to combat that, then review footage of cars passing each night to fine tune your exposure time and lighting and camera position.

If you can afford it, a hikvision darkfighter or dahua starlight camera may also help, as they have better low light sensitivity right out of the box.
Thanks for the needed info bp2008! I also have a couple ir illuminators on the way. Hopefully by Thursday I can start the fun process of fine tuning cameras!

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need to tweak the DS-2CD2632F-IS to make the image really dark (short exposure) but capture the number plate perfectly. That's what you need rather than identifying make and model of car.

The camera will be then useless for anything else but will suit what you need! Search number plate recognition on here.

Reaction score
Thanks again Del Boy! I will be setting up another camera for the License Plate recognition soon. Would another DS-2CD2632F-IS be best or get another Hikvision 2032 and get a 12 or 25 mm lens for that? I will have to set it up in a tree or birdhouse of some sort closer to the road to get a good angle for plates. Here is a clip of the new DS-2CD2632F-IS I just received today. What do you guys think? Plenty of Zoom or should I get it closer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
12mm fixed lens or Huisun v2 would actually be better.

You need more zoom, you already have a wide angle camera covering there.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You might have a helluva time just because of the angle of that roadway. Are u replacing Cam1 with it or Cam2?

Reaction score
I just put the new camera beside Cam 1 with it zoomed in on the street. It worked pretty well with one of the IR illuminators. I am now dealing with the cameras skipping a couple of seconds and freezing for a second on all three cameras. They are all off by 1 to 5 seconds. It is getting very annoying to have car go by and appear and disappear. BI seems to be unstable. I have 200mbps down and 20mbps upload and a very fast custom built gaming computer so I know its not my system. Any advise for settings? Thanks all again.

arw01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not quite to putting a camera up to see the street per say, but interested ir the IR illumination you just bought to help brighten things out there.

Reaction score
Not quite to putting a camera up to see the street per say, but interested ir the IR illumination you just bought to help brighten things out there.
I just bought 2 tri-Illuminators from Wrightwood Surveillance. They are very bright!

Reaction score
You can see in the video above the before and here is a still with the new IR from 15-20 ft away from truck. Spider web making a blur across this picture. sorry

Attachments

Reaction score
Still gonna need that Huisun v2 or 12mm bullet to get those number plates!
Yep or I might move the new camera closer the the street in a bird house or something and set it at 12mm. I also need to figure out why my 3 cameras are off sync to each other by a few seconds and freeze/pausing. Ive never had this problem before.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure not too bright or you'll get nice casper faces.
Haha. Can't you just solve that problem with camera settings? Like faster shutter speed? Then you've got better sharpness on a moving person and probably less noise too.