Would like to replace my IPC-HDW5231R-Z

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive been outta the game for a bit, and still doin some research. Looking for an upgrade to my current IPC-HDW5231R-Z. Currently its at the max zoomed in position at like 13mm.

Would like a turret, with the better lens, low light, etc.

do they make any of these new turrets with the better sensor and Varifocal?

Not sure what I want. Alot of the fix lens are like 2.8, 3.6, and maybe an optional 6mm.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
5442T-ZE is probably the best all-around vari-focal turret with IR. 4MP on a 1/1.8 sensor.
I agree with one caveat, and apologies to anyone who sees me as beating a dead horse: If you're wanting the replacement camera to detect animals, the 5442T-ZE will not do the job. If you want it for human and vehicle detection only, it's a great choice. If you're considering a fixed-focal camera, my side-by-side testing shows that a digitally zoomed 6 mm 5442TM-AS is so close in image quality to a fully zoomed 5231R-Z that it's reasonable to call it a draw, plus you have a much wider FOV if that is of any use, and much improved low light quality. Naturally a fully zoomed 5442T-ZE will beat the 6mm 5442 image in the narrower FOV. And for low light sensitivity the 4k-X and 4k-T fixed focal, non-IR cameras beat the pants off of all the rest.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't think there is one yet. Of your wants: turret, IR, 1/1.2, vari-focal, and longer zoom, you can kind of get any two that you want. ; )

With IR, there's the B5442E-Z4E which will give you more range and varifocal but not a turret and 1/1.8. The 5241E-Z12 for a lot more range and varifocal but it's a bullet too and 2MP.

For 1/1.2 there's the Color4K-T as a turret but no varifocal and no IR so you'd need light.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with one caveat, and apologies to anyone who sees me as beating a dead horse: If you're wanting the replacement camera to detect animals, the 5442T-ZE will not do the job. If you want it for human and vehicle detection only, it's a great choice. If you're considering a fixed-focal camera, my side-by-side testing shows that a digitally zoomed 6 mm 5442TM-AS is so close in image quality to a fully zoomed 5231R-Z that it's reasonable to call it a draw, plus you have a much wider FOV if that is of any use, and much improved low light quality. Naturally a fully zoomed 5442T-ZE will beat the 6mm 5442 image in the narrower FOV. And for low light sensitivity the 4k-X and 4k-T fixed focal, non-IR cameras beat the pants off of all the rest.
maybe ill try this one...

Sighthound AI that I use detect animals, people and cars so no need for on board AI.