WTI Sidewinder SW720??

WantechD

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Sidewinder Sw720-H.264-SD? My higher ups at work have purchased one of these and want to me to test it. Just looking to pick some brains and check on the ease of setup, durability, and maintenance of these cameras. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have included a link to the camera's info page which also has spec sheets.

Thank you,

WantechD

http://www.gotowti.com/sidewinder/sidewinder_standard.asp

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Sidewinder Sw720-H.264-SD? My higher ups at work have purchased one of these and want to me to test it. Just looking to pick some brains and check on the ease of setup, durability, and maintenance of these cameras. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have included a link to the camera's info page which also has spec sheets.

Thank you,

WantechD

http://www.gotowti.com/sidewinder/sidewinder_standard.asp
Welcome to the forum. What application is this being used for?..its very rare that you need a camera to have 360 on both axis...if this being used for general surveillance then its simply WAY overpriced junk...a 700 dollar dahua/hikvision would perform better in every which way and produce a much sharper image. This is a very low resolution camera - I cant believe they are selling this stuff for the 5k....no way its worth anything close to that.

WantechD

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman,

Thank you for the reply. These cameras would be use for traffic monitoring. I work for the department of transportation in my state. We currently have a bunch of old analog cameras running off of AXIS encoders. We have purchased a handful of AXIS cameras that I think are great. The higher ups haven't made a commitment as far as what cameras to purchase going forward. I'm going to be pushing for the AXIS Q6044 and P5532. I have no experience with the dahua or hikvision. I will look more into these, as I see there are a few threads on these brands.
Thank you for you insight.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman,

Thank you for the reply. These cameras would be use for traffic monitoring. I work for the department of transportation in my state. We currently have a bunch of old analog cameras running off of AXIS encoders. We have purchased a handful of AXIS cameras that I think are great. The higher ups haven't made a commitment as far as what cameras to purchase going forward. I'm going to be pushing for the AXIS Q6044 and P5532. I have no experience with the dahua or hikvision. I will look more into these, as I see there are a few threads on these brands.
Thank you for you insight.
That camera is a complete waste for traffic monitoring. The resolution is terrible. The p5532 is D1 resolution and is an INDOOR camera.....Why are you guys using very low res cameras? are the cameras connected via cellular? do you have bandwidth considerations. Axis is great, look at their higher res cameras.

WantechD

n3wb
Reaction score
They were the cameras that were being used before I was hired. We do have quite a few locations where we are connected via cellular devices. The other areas are connected via our fiber network or a Verizon 10MB TLS fiber connection. I was under the impression that the P5532 was an indoor/outdoor camera. I think they purchased the lower res cameras maybe just to test. I am not sure why we wouldn't go with the Q6045. Maybe just cost, since they were just testing. I'll be talking more to the project manager and senior network engineer Monday.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There are two versions of the p5532...the p5532 is indoor..the p5532-e is outdoor...regardless they are both D1, and WAY overpriced for what they are.

WantechD

n3wb
Reaction score
We use the P5532-E but yes, they are D1. I am not sure what the reasoning for going with the lower resolution was. I've only been there 6 months. There was a senior network engineer that was there for 12 years, who made the decisions, but he left in April. I started in February, and was just doing maintenance and troubleshooting on the network. Being that the new senior network engineer started in May and has little to no knowledge of cameras, I am being looked at as the subject matter expert. Thank you for all the info and opening my eyes to some things. It definitely has been helpful.

Another question for you: We are currently using Cisco VSOM for managing and viewing our cameras. We are moving to Genetec probably with in the next 6 months to a year. Any other suggestions? I haven't really looked at any other systems. I Recording is not a huge priority. We do work with local and state police sometimes, but do not record video on a regular basis. Genetec was suggested by the AXIS sales rep that comes by. I am not sure how many other systems they looked at. Checking out the forums and talking to you, I am realizing I really don't know a whole lot about the camera side of the world.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We use the P5532-E but yes, they are D1. I am not sure what the reasoning for going with the lower resolution was. I've only been there 6 months. There was a senior network engineer that was there for 12 years, who made the decisions, but he left in April. I started in February, and was just doing maintenance and troubleshooting on the network. Being that the new senior network engineer started in May and has little to no knowledge of cameras, I am being looked at as the subject matter expert. Thank you for all the info and opening my eyes to some things. It definitely has been helpful.

Another question for you: We are currently using Cisco VSOM for managing and viewing our cameras. We are moving to Genetec probably with in the next 6 months to a year. Any other suggestions? I haven't really looked at any other systems. I Recording is not a huge priority. We do work with local and state police sometimes, but do not record video on a regular basis. Genetec was suggested by the AXIS sales rep that comes by. I am not sure how many other systems they looked at. Checking out the forums and talking to you, I am realizing I really don't know a whole lot about the camera side of the world.
Look at Avignon. You can contact member @ak357, he is an avigilon installer dealer. You guys need to spend time and some money looking at the best options. Most of the time large sums of money is spent by government agencies simply because they have the cash..there needs to be concern for taxpayer money. Spending 3-5k on a D1 camera makes me feel sick.