Xc-2042wdi?

eskimojo

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased some Hikvision 4MP cameras from a vendor that seemed to be recommended here. I was expecting a USA version, but they came in a brown box with model numbers XC-2042WDI, XC-2642FWDI, and XC-2342WDI. Does anyone know what the difference is between XC and DS models? Did I get the chinese version?

Also, has anyone had any luck adding the 4MP cameras to synology surveillance station? I can get the cameras to work on iVMS4200 and I can access the settings in the browser, but I can't add them on SS. The camera is found when searching with ONVIF, but it says 'failed to load camera capabilities values' when I try to add it. Thanks for the help.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They're not Hikvision but they are probably Hikvision OEM. but they might not even be that.

tripnotics

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a XC-2342WDI that I purchased from Nelly's Security. I don't know if it's a US or Chinese version, but it came in a brown box as described by you. I was also expecting US version, and the box is different than a DS-2CD2332-I I purchased from a seller on Amazon (that one came in the white/red box).

Regardless, I have this camera working fine with a Synology Surveillance Station. What exactly isn't working for you? Maybe I could help.

rustbelt

n3wb
Reaction score
WTF same thing here today cams cam Brown Box XC-2042WDI also ordered from Nelly's thinking they need to explain this, Are theses cams going to take US firmware Updates ?

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered the 2T42WD-I8 4MP EXIR IP Bullet Security Camera 6mm from Nelly's. Before I ordered, I noticed that Nelly's referred to these cameras as "H Series," so I emailed them to ask whether these were truly Hikvision cameras or not. I asked them specifically if the H Series were in the red and white Hikvision box and if they displayed the Hikvision logo on the cameras. They responded that these were 100% Hikvision cameras. However, when my XC-2T42WD-I8 arrived it was in a brown box and there was nothing on the camera or box anywhere that said "Hikvision." I was extremely dissappointed - mostly because I felt I had been lied to.

I can tell you that my camera did take a US firmware update (upgraded from 5.3.3 to 5.3.6) with no problem. I should also say that Nelly's was very responsive in helping me overcome some initial image ghosting problems. Nelly's is currently trying to help me solve another problem with the camera. I am unable to get NAS storage set up on the camera. I can set it up to store on a share and it works for 1 or 2 minutes, but then it quits and the status changes from normal to uninitialized.

Another frustration regarding the fact that this camera came in a brown box is that, before I purchased from Nelly's, I had considered ordering from an authorized Hikvision distributor. If I had done that, maybe I could get some help from Hikvision in resolving the NAS storage problem. I have low expectations that Nelly's will be able to help with this. In reality, I am not sure Hikvision would be that much help either.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I completely understand why you would think it's not an actual Hikvision camera, some sort of generic, or a hacked chinese model. I answer this question multiple times everyday and I can guarantee you it's not any of those. Since early last year Hikvision started sending out cameras to different distributors with changes made to the first two letters of the model numbers, packaged in brown or black and white boxes and "unbranded" meaning no Hikvision logo on the camera or box. I believe this was put into effect to push people to buy from larger distributors who have branded products in retail packaging and of course who sell the cameras at a higher price. However, I can guarantee the cameras you've received from us are genuine Hikvision cameras that are not hacked chinese models or knock offs and you can rest assured they are fully upgradeable with Hikvision US firmwares.

If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Thanks.