Xmas porch pirate team 12/23

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Sometimes our police do post the pictures and/or video on their FB feed and/or local "Next Door" social media with a "do you know these people?" request.

thinking of ways to use something like this:
Sonoff SV - ITEAD Wiki
and this:
Amazon.com: DEVMO JF-0530B DC12V 300mA 5N/10mm Pull-Push-Type DC Solenoid Electromagnet: Computers & Accessories
to pull the pin on one or more of these:
12 Gauge Perimeter Trip Alarm w/209 Adapter
maybe 20 seconds after the unit is no longer connected to my house Wi-Fi...

imagine if a couple of shotgun blanks went off in their car as they left the scene... :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree, very nice camera shots. Plenty of info for the police to work with if they chose to do so.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@pozzello - I like looney2ns' suggestions. As posted above, how about sending your video and clips over to the local news station to see if they will pick up the story. Stealing your kid's xmas present is a great headline for them to pitch. You have such a clear shot of her face why not publicly shame her on TV. I was so hoping she was going to trip and fall heading back to the car since she was wearing heels. Please keep us posted if the police have any updates.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Around here, they have one person follow the UPS or Amazon truck, and txt the addresses to others that come by and pick up the loot.
There are times they will ring the door bell and if you answer the door, they will try to "sell you something".

They also will ring the door bell a couple days in a row to see if anyone is home. If not, they might come back and break in.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sometimes our police do post the pictures and/or video on their FB feed and/or local "Next Door" social media with a "do you know these people?" request.

thinking of ways to use something like this:
Sonoff SV - ITEAD Wiki
and this:
Amazon.com: DEVMO JF-0530B DC12V 300mA 5N/10mm Pull-Push-Type DC Solenoid Electromagnet: Computers & Accessories
to pull the pin on one or more of these:
12 Gauge Perimeter Trip Alarm w/209 Adapter
maybe 20 seconds after the unit is no longer connected to my house Wi-Fi...

imagine if a couple of shotgun blanks went off in their car as they left the scene... :)
40 bucks?! I should start selling mine then! I've made these several times in about 15mins with my kids in the garage. Its a fun project. As for "blanks", it actually cheaper to cut the end off a normal, cheap shell and drain the pellets out.

I do totally agree that you did all you could and it was clearly the fault of the driver if they didnt put it in a secure drop box/garage. It IS a shame that people steal off the front porch still though.

I look forward to hearing what the police do about this. I can't say I'm super confident though that anything will happen. At this point, I'd expect them to simply say "you did get your stuff though eventually so no work needed for us to do".

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What kind of secure drop box do you have?

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
40 bucks?! I should start selling mine then! I've made these several times in about 15mins with my kids in the garage. Its a fun project. As for "blanks", it actually cheaper to cut the end off a normal, cheap shell and drain the pellets out.

I do totally agree that you did all you could and it was clearly the fault of the driver if they didnt put it in a secure drop box/garage. It IS a shame that people steal off the front porch still though.

I look forward to hearing what the police do about this. I can't say I'm super confident though that anything will happen. At this point, I'd expect them to simply say "you did get your stuff though eventually so no work needed for us to do".
Not the way it works in smaller jurisdictions but I can imagine that being said in bigger towns

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Police have responded to my online report with a request for more information (the original videos vs the ones posted to social media,) so i take that as a sign they feel they may have something they can do something about...

Reaction score
She has too much weight for a crack addict.

Ringing the bell is a way to see if anyone is home. Since they saw your cameras, they did not want to be caught red handed if you spied them on camera and opened the door as she was picking up the package. That would lead to a confrontation that she did not want. Once she felt no one was home then she picks up box and takes off. If you answer the door, she just asks if so and so is home, or want to talk about Jesus, or some other ruse.

Reconsider about booby trapping a package. Even 'blanks' can maim or kill and you will be facing some hefty jail time.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
what city in Cali was this?
I'm naturally curious too but we need to keep in mind that this isn't only found in certain cities. I have friends who work at AWS (the technical infrastructure side of Amazon) and they've said this is seen in all cities, in all neighborhoods. It's not predominately any size city, neighborhood or race.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is no way that package was seen from the street as they drove by. In the lpeast video, she is looking through some kind of paper. I wonder if it is a list of delivery addresses.
I have been wondering if the delivery service employees are in on it, releasing delivery addresses to their fellow scum. In this video it did seem like they knew where they were going. I also noticed that recently I had a delivery coming from FedEx. I have not had a FedEx delivery in MONTHS, but on the day the tracking info said it was to be delivered, I got a couple of emails in my spam folder saying they were from FedEx, and were about a package that could not be delivered. A quick check of the senders email address and I knew it was phishing so I reported them (does that really do anything???). But how did these slimy pieces of crap know? The package was delivered later that evening.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
She doesn't pick up the packages until she sees the getaway car right there, ready to pick her up, so that probably lessens her risk to some extent. Dirtbags! I hope they are both caught and effectively prosecuted.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Funny how those old junk/worthless Huisun mini PTZ cameras are still alive and well ;)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Pity the camera in the porch wasn't a really high MP one. Would have been great to have been able to zoom in on the phone number on her phone screen.

It's also a pity that US society has become so corrupt that's there's this level of crime. Around me there have been packages left on doorsteps all day and they're still there when you come home. These days the companies do usually tend to leave with neighbours but again, there isn't a single neighbour I know in any direction that I wouldn't trust to take a package in.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Start making these videos public and upload them to YouTube

slambram

n3wb
Reaction score
When the delivery companies hire temporary help around the holidays, I'm convinced some of the drivers are in on it.

Last year I had a $500 DVD player delivered on 12/23 (backordered), and watched the driver carefully place it right on the edge of my porch steps, in full view of the road. This runs completely contrary to every other delivery from the same company, where just sliding it a few feet left or right hides it behind a shrub.

Later the same day the police dept. sent a warning about porch pirate activity in the area (only time that's ever happened).
Coincidence? I think not.

Luckily I have great neighbors who were home, saw what was happening, and retrieved the package until I got home from work.