XProtect Essential+ install - "Could not configure the server..."

Jim Kailey

n3wb
Reaction score
Trying to install and keep getting the same error, have the correct .net frameworks installed.

Any ideas?

peng

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same issue, it is a stand-alone system.

Jim Kailey

n3wb
Reaction score
It's a stand alone server running Windows 7.

The error log states:

1/29/2017 2:20:15 PM Error An error occurred: 'Error authenticating user, service is down'. Error details: at VideoOS.Server.Admin.Utilities.IisHelper.ValidateWebService(AccountInfo account, String atServer, Int32 atServerPort, String websiteId)
at VideoOS.Server.Admin.Utilities.ServerUtilities.SetWebServiceAccount(AccountInfo serviceAccount, String serverAddress, Int32 serverPort, String websiteId)
at VideoOS.Installer.ServerConfiguratorPlugin.ServerConfigurator.RunInstall()
at VideoOS.Installer.ServerConfiguratorPlugin.ConfigurationTaskInstall.DoRun()

Found an article on their site: Developer Forum

Completed the following steps from the article:

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS
  1. Uninstall all components of the XProtect Corporate Installation from Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features.
  2. Remove IIS and Windows Process Activation (WPA) from the server.
  3. Restart the Server.
  4. Re-install WPA then restart the Server.
  5. Install Corporate utilizing a User Account that is a member of the Administrators and IIS_IUSRS group.
  6. Allow Corporate to install the necessary IIS Components for you.
Now it's having issues with IIS. Gotta say I'm not real impressed so far...

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Gotta say I'm not real impressed so far...
Hi,

I'm new here but have a fair amount of experience with XProtect.

Try completely uninstalling MSSQL (including any left over folders) before re-installation. Hang in there, the results are worth it.

Jim Kailey

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, thanks. Did that (and deleted remaining files), now it's coming up with an error about an "unauthorized download site" so I'm uninstalling it and will try again. I definitely got it from their site.

edit: now it won't even uninstall...

Jim Kailey

n3wb
Reaction score
I got it, thanks. It does look like it was worth the effort.

Re-installed Windows 7, updated, installed .net 4.51 and 3.5 sp1 (turned on in Windows components) and wala!

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Congratulations on the result. I'm actually surprised more people here don't mention Milestone for small PC based setups given that it's free.

Jim Kailey

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I have a buddy that manages a large commercial system using Milestone, he highly recommended it.

Bostjan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as Jim did. Unfortunately I can't re-install Windows 10 x64. BTW I'm trying to install Milestone XProtect VMS Products 2017 R3. But when I tried to install it on fresh virtual machine it worked.
I've digged a little bit and this error does not seems to be so rare at all, but there is no cure or any real reason also :(
Anyone know what could be the real reason?

Kevin P

n3wb
Reaction score
Same exactly error message. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but still issue exists. Uninstalled MS SQL Server and same error result.

How do I solve this run of errors?

12/19/2017 1:09:52 AM Error An error occurred: 'Error authenticating user, service is down'. Error details: at VideoOS.Server.Admin.Utilities.IisHelper.ValidateWebService(AccountInfo account, String atServer, Int32 atServerPort, String websiteId)
at VideoOS.Server.Admin.Utilities.ServerUtilities.SetWebServiceAccount(AccountInfo serviceAccount, String serverAddress, Int32 serverPort, String websiteId)
12/19/2017 1:09:52 AM Information Last error: {0}
12/19/2017 1:09:52 AM Error An error occurred: 'Could not configure the server. See the log file for more information.'. Error details: at VideoOS.Installer.ServerConfiguratorPlugin.ConfigurationTaskInstall.DoRun()
at VideoOS.SoftwareManager.Core.Task.Task.Start()
12/19/2017 1:09:52 AM Error An error occurred: 'Error authenticating user, service is down'. Error details: at VideoOS.Server.Admin.Utilities.IisHelper.ValidateWebService(AccountInfo account, String atServer, Int32 atServerPort, String websiteId)
12/19/2017 1:09:52 AM Error Install failed.VideoOS.Installer.Sequencer.ErrorHandling.InstallerSequencerException: Could not configure the server. See the log file for more information. ---> VideoOS.Server.Admin.ServerAdminException: Error authenticating user, service is down
at VideoOS.Server.Admin.Utilities.IisHelper.ValidateWebService(AccountInfo account, String atServer, Int32 atServerPort, String websiteId)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Last edited:

Kevin P

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure it is fully removed. The Windows uninstaller seems to leave behind a database instance name and some folders.
I deleted the entire MS SQL directory with every file and folder removed. Still getting the error

12/19/2017 2:11:14 AM Error An error occurred: 'Error authenticating user, service is down'. Error details: at VideoOS.Server.Admin.Utilities.IisHelper.ValidateWebService(AccountInfo account, String atServer, Int32 atServerPort, String websiteId)
12/19/2017 2:11:14 AM Information Last error: {0}
12/19/2017 2:11:14 AM Error An error occurred: 'Could not configure the server. See the log file for more information.'. Error details: at VideoOS.Installer.ServerConfiguratorPlugin.ConfigurationTaskInstall.DoRun()
at VideoOS.SoftwareManager.Core.Task.Task.Start()
12/19/2017 2:11:14 AM Error An error occurred: 'Error authenticating user, service is down'. Error details: at VideoOS.Server.Admin.Utilities.IisHelper.ValidateWebService(AccountInfo account, String atServer, Int32 atServerPort, String websiteId)
12/19/2017 2:11:14 AM Error Install failed.VideoOS.Installer.Sequencer.ErrorHandling.InstallerSequencerException: Could not configure the server. See the log file for more information. ---> VideoOS.Server.Admin.ServerAdminException: Error authenticating user, service is down
at VideoOS.Server.Admin.Utilities.IisHelper.ValidateWebService(AccountInfo account, String atServer, Int32 atServerPort, String websiteId)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
at VideoOS.Installer.Sequencer.SequenceManager.Install()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
at VideoOS.Installer.Sequencer.SequenceManager.BeginInstallDelegate.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
at VideoOS.Installer.UI.WizardPageInstall.InstallationEnded(IAsyncResult ar)

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you have full administrative rights when installing ?

Is it a paid version ?, If so, just open a case with Milestone.

Bostjan

n3wb
Reaction score
I've found the cause of the problem - there was some other application that was listening on port 80. Once I've closed it, installation finished just fine.

yepyep

n3wb
Reaction score
The first thing to know is the computer name of 'NVR' doesn't work. Yet 'NVR001' does. So I'm guessing there's some issue with short computer names.

This is also what I did to get it working after 4days of trying things on VMs.

Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 1803. (I did this on a HyperV VM).
Pause Windows Updates.
Turn UAC to second from the bottom setting.
Add current user account to IIS_IUSRS group.
Make sure current user is part of Administrators group.
Make sure IIS and Windows Process Activation Service are not checked in Windows Features.
Download and run .NET 3.5 SP1 (http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe).
Let .NET 3.5 SP1 download a few more files and let it install. Should say .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) has installed successfully.
Restart.
Renamed PC to NVR001.
Restarted.
Download and run as administrator Milestone XProtect VMS Products 2018 R2 System Installer.exe
Successful.