Xprotect Smart Client Downscaled - Pixelated Streams

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone else notice this?

https://supportcommunity.milestonesys.com/s/article/Smart-Client-visual-impairment-of-downscaled-views?language=en_US

I have been noticing this pixelation much more recently as I am looking to add a 4K monitor. (one of the workarounds Milestone mentions).

There was an open ticket for this issue which was supposed to be resolved in 2018 R1 but it didn't get resolved even in R2. Is this just bad coding?

The issue is super apparent if you have an 8 camera view. For example, load up a Smart Client 8 camera view, then load up your favorite browser with a direct stream from your camera and look at them side by side. The degradation is quite substantial. Curious if there are any other tweaks that can address the problem. The workarounds in the article are pretty week (except for the 4K monitor item which makes the most sense).

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think the effect you are referring to has no relationship to the Milestone Smart client or software at all and is largely scene dependant. Per the article "Please note that Moiré is not an error or bug, it is a natural phenomenon.", so I don't see why you would expect a fix in their software ?

For example, load up a Smart Client 8 camera view, then load up your favorite browser with a direct stream from your camera and look at them side by side. The degradation is quite substantial

The Milestone article also states that when you open the image in full size, the issue goes away "When switching to the full 1 x 1 view or full-screen view of the Smart Client, the issue seems to disappear."

Issue corrects itself on the Milestone Smart client, not only in the camera's web page as you have stated.

Regardless, a 4K monitor may benefit you.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the effect you are referring to has no relationship to the Milestone Smart client or software at all and is largely scene dependant. Per the article "Please note that Moiré is not an error or bug, it is a natural phenomenon.", so I don't see why you would expect a fix in their software ?

The Milestone article also states that when you open the image in full size, the issue goes away "When switching to the full 1 x 1 view or full-screen view of the Smart Client, the issue seems to disappear."

Issue corrects itself on the Milestone Smart client, not only in the camera's web page as you have stated.

Regardless, a 4K monitor may benefit you.
That article doesn't quite explain it very well. This one goes into a little more detail.

https://supportcommunity.milestonesys.com/s/question/0D50O000049u1hySAA/smart-client-images-blurry-or-pixelated?language=da

The problem is also noticeable on 4K screens as well. I added a 4k screen and the issue isn't as noticeable but it's still there. It's just a lot more noticeable on 1080p screens. You have to have Xprotect in canvas mode (8 screens or more) and then load up the same camera stream as one of the 8 and then do a side by side comparison. You will notice that the web browser stream is much clearer and less pixelized than the one in Xprotect. They mentioned fixing it with 2018 R1 but it doesn't appear to be fixed even in R2 yet. I'm holding out for R3 but was hoping someone might know of a temporary workaround (besides adding 4K and besides what is listed in the KB article).

https://supportcommunity.milestonesys.com/s/question/0D50O00004RWf3bSAD/smart-client-images-are-pixelated?language=da

"The upcoming Smart Client 2018 R2 (later this week) should improve on this, in particular if the Smart Client PC has an Nvidia graphics card installed. Also, check this KB for further insights:"

Last edited: