Xprotect Smart Client takes too long to load.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Running client on my main PC and VMS box is running the server stuff.

Not sure why but the client takes literally minutes to load up. Works fine after that.

It gets stuck on "Running tasks for: Metadata Search Plugin, Access controls" but then it will eventually load after a few minutes.

Any ideas ?

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you make this support request in the Milestone website's support forum? Probably get more answers there.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Could be a name resolution issue. How are you connecting on the smart client? Computename\user ? Try adding the hostnames in the hosts file on both machines of each device.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Could be a name resolution issue. How are you connecting on the smart client? Computename\user ? Try adding the hostnames in the hosts file on both machines of each device.
Local IP address for Computer

Computename\user for User Name

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Try adding the hosts entries, not too much effort. See if that helps.
What exactly am I adding there ?

I did 192.168.1.3 VMS
It made no difference. I'm pretty sure it connects fine. I can even RDP to the machine fine. It's just something about metadata search plugin, access control. One or both of those cause it to hang.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Edit the hosts file in here - c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Just put the IP addresses and names of the 2x machines one on each line, then do the same on the other computer.

ip 1 Computer1
IP2 Computer2

The hosts file will help the computer locate other devices on the network (similar to DNS), but locally.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What exactly am I adding there ?

I did 192.168.1.3 VMS
It made no difference. I'm pretty sure it connects fine. I can even RDP to the machine fine. It's just something about metadata search plugin, access control. One or both of those cause it to hang.
Try IP's/computer in the hosts file on both machines because they resolve against each other.

Fair enough, Also check the time is closely synchronised between recorder and smart client machine.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Try IP's/computer in the hosts file on both machines because they resolve against each other.

Fair enough, Also check the time is closely synchronised between recorder and smart client machine.
Did both, no dice. Time is same on both and all 4 cameras. I need to perhaps disable this metadata plugin thing, not sure how so I'm googling it but no luck.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
How do you like the overall Milestone Ecosytem? I used it for a year and I found the whole program bloated and not nearly as configurable as BI.

I actually had the paid version of Xprotect.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How do you like the overall Milestone Ecosytem? I used it for a year and I found the whole program bloated and not nearly as configurable as BI.

I actually had the paid version of Xprotect.
So far so good, I only have 4 cameras. 3x 4MP and 1x 8MP.

Only issue is the long load time for smart client. Motion detection also has lots of false positives but it's ok during the night when I really need it.

I have not tried advanced stuff like connecting it to camera IVF or whatever its called. The AI based person/object detection etc. Not even sure how to do that but maybe that's what I'll try next.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm struggling with Milestone, they went to a new essential +, leaving me at essential, stuck at 2019R2. Paid version, 12 cams, thinking about BI and dumping it altogether.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just an update. Milestone is awesome. I have intrusion/line crossing working on my 5442 and it logs so easy to find people.

My issue with slow start-up is also fixed I don't know how. I tinkered around and it fixed it. Just applied some hotfixes too.

4 cams so far but room for 4 more free.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm struggling with Milestone, they went to a new essential +, leaving me at essential, stuck at 2019R2. Paid version, 12 cams, thinking about BI and dumping it altogether.
How much does it cost? I don't have anymore issues with milestone but I'm thinking 12 cam might be too expensive with milestone.

Imho milestone better for up to 8 cams. Then above 8 BI might be better until you hit enterprise levels of cams.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How much does it cost? I don't have anymore issues with milestone but I'm thinking 12 cam might be too expensive with milestone.

Imho milestone better for up to 8 cams. Then above 8 BI might be better until you hit enterprise levels of cams.
When I started off on Essential @ $39/camera back in 2015. But Essential got upgraded to Express, which costs more, now express is replaced by express+, which is $75/camera. They keep dropping the lowest cost versions, which is upping the price to get beyond the free 8 camera system. Now to do 9 cameras, you are at $694 (9x$75 + $19base) + tax, quite the jump from free @ 8. Then it's an ongoing maintenance per camera, at around $26/camera yearly if you want the latest upgrades. This used to be $13/year.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When I started off on Essential @ $39/camera back in 2015. But Essential got upgraded to Express, which costs more, now express is replaced by express+, which is $75/camera. They keep dropping the lowest cost versions, which is upping the price to get beyond the free 8 camera system. Now to do 9 cameras, you are at $694 (9x$75 + $19base) + tax, quite the jump from free @ 8. Then it's an ongoing maintenance per camera, at around $26/camera yearly if you want the latest upgrades. This used to be $13/year.
Yikes.

But it's fine with 8 cams.

Granted I am having issues. It's not perfect. I upgraded to 2020 R3 and now I have issues with mobile app and web view. The feeds keep crashing and I have to restart mobile server.

Also having issues with metadata / logging now. Trying to fix it now.

EDIT: Had to reinstall Dahua metadata plugin because I didn't stop services first time.

Last edited:

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yikes.

But it's fine with 8 cams.

Granted I am having issues. It's not perfect. I upgraded to 2020 R3 and now I have issues with mobile app and web view. The feeds keep crashing and I have to restart mobile server.

Also having issues with metadata / logging now. Trying to fix it now.

How did your upgrade to R3 go?. Mine crashed out during the upgrade process and I had to back out and reinstall Release 2. Usually the upgrade process is quite smooth. It's been painful this time around.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How did your upgrade to R3 go?. Mine crashed out during the upgrade process and I had to back out and reinstall Release 2. Usually the upgrade process is quite smooth. It's been painful this time around.
It worked fine. Did you stop ALL the services first ?

I had problem with Dahua Metadata plugin because when I installed it I forgot to stop all the services.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it and problem solved.