Y'alls thoughts on this video capture

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Our goal with this camera is to monitor the time clock and, if needed, be able to tell what products (bag looks and names) that are on the pallets being carried by the lifts.

As you can tell, we have some problematic outdoor light coming in from the left of the screen from a large warehouse door. I'm not sure if this is normal, but as you may be able to see, once you stop the clip, it's a little blurry.

Exported from UI3 with the following setting:

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 11.02.38.png

IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 camera settings:

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 11.11.03.pngScreenshot 2024-02-16 at 11.10.25.png

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 11.10.46.png

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 11.11.41.png

Video clip:

View attachment Cam1.20240216_105542-105547.8.mp4

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And thank you to everyone here for your time and help to get us this far with our build! One in particular, you know who you are, THANK YOU so much!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the day settings if that sun will be prominent most of the day, I would lower all the parameters - brightness, gamma, gain, etc. And drop NR to about 30 or so. Have contrast about 8 points higher than brightness.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Its not horrible. I can ID a face
forklift1.jpg

To mitigate the light from outside you can try and apply a little bit of backlight-WDR OR SSA if available. Thats what its meant for. To even out the bright/dark areas. Careful and just enough to make a difference as it can wash out the picture and create blur with too much.

To lessen the blur you need a faster shutter. In daylight you should be able to run 2x as fast at least, try 0-4

Also lower your 2D/3D NR. Try 30-35 on both. DNR creates blur especially at 50+ and in daylight you can get away with it a lot lower

Reaction score
You guys are on it today. My suggestion was to drop shutter to 0-4, gain to 40, and NR to 35 or so and see if that’s still bright enough. If not bump up gain from there but at the speed of the forklift I think 4ms is about as high you’ll be able to get away with and still get a clean shot of what’s on the pallet

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Per your suggestions, made the following changes:

• Changed shutter to 0-4.
  • Moved gain to 45.
  • Changed 2D/3D to 40

Now, in the stream, it looks as if the concrete is moving a bit.

Reaction score
Sub or main stream? Either way that tends to happen, the important part is can you tell what headed out the door on the pallet?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember, all we can do is get in the ballpark. When I'm tweeking settings for a camera for a specific scene, I may easily spend an hour+ and another hour or more for the night scene.

And its typical that over the first few weeks of a new camera install I'll do that whole thing again 2-3 more times

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Concrete moving means lack of light.

Id put the image settings back were you and them and focus on Shutter and DNR and then see if SSA helps

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as you have DNR toned down and shutter fast enough (0-2 to 0-4) it shouldnt be noticeable with relation to blur

Not sure if you have an intensity slider on SSA or just on/off?

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
AI SSA is turned off. I was not familiar with this setting, so I haven't touched it.

Reaction score
I haven’t messed with SSA much but I do run WDR at between 5-15 on a few that the sun really affects during certain times of day. For whatever reason the jump between WDR 44 and 45 really changes the picture.

And I just checked one of the barn cameras that has a similar scene, large opening with sunlight during part of the day.. SSA is on, don’t remember doing that but it does make it look much better

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Both SSA and WDR can mess with your image and both can induce some blur. That said if you have DNR low enough and shutter fast enough they can solve problems in certain scenes.
I only use them when nothing else works. Last resort.

I don’t recommend either in very low light or at night.

Reaction score
AI SSA and backlight SSA are two different things.

Using BI you will not want to use AI SSA.
Good catch, I forgot about AI SSA. I’m sure I haven’t used that as all are on customized scene and times set accordingly if they have the new interface

Edit: Which I guess is still listed under Customized Scene, I was thinking of Self-adaptive under Working Mode

Last edited: