Yard sensors- Laser perimeter sensors or ?

MMcCawley

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

My family is moving to Uganda in a month where we will work as missionaries for the next couple years. There has been an uptick in home invasions/robberies over the past couple months so in addition to my Lorex camera system, Ring alarm and LED motion detectors I'm looking for additional sensors to notify us if someone has jumped the fence and gained access into our yard.

Any suggestions on what I should be considering?

Also, I came across these laser perimeter sensors that are reasonably priced: Solar Powered Photoelectric Beam Barrier Sensor Has anyone tried these and would like to provide some feedback?

Thanks,
Matt

Edit: I think I may have posted this in the wrong forum. Moderator- please move if so. Thanks!

Last edited:

MMcCawley

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion GCoco. I've looked into similar technology and was a little concerned about false alarms with motion type systems. There's quite a bit of wildlife that will likely be in our yard so I thought they may set off motion type alarms. What are your thoughts?

Reaction score
For two reasons I suggest you rent your home. The first is an occupied home is less likely to invite undesirables and second, most homeowner insurance policies will cancel your policy after 30 days of vacancy.

Are your perimeters hardscaped meaning that animals won’t trip sensors? It doesn’t sound like it.

I would probably go with Simply Safe and protect the interior. It’s professionally monitored.

Here, we mostly use cameras with Blue Iris to trigger events in HomeSeer, our HA software. Our openings are monitored by z-wave door and window devices which trigger events if opened or closed.

I’m thinking that it would be difficult to monitor and maintain a HA system from Uganda because of no/slow Internet.

We applaud you for your mission activities. Good luck and stay safe.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To clarify, you're looking for security for your house in the USA and not wherever you'll be in Uganda?

There are outdoor motion sensors that are pretty reliable, the better ones combine 2-3 motion sensors (1-2 PIR and/or microwave motion).
I'm not sure I'd try to cover the whole yard or perimeter. I'd focus on closer to the house, especially close to doors. Maybe a dual tech request to exit sensor like the Interlogix/GE RCR-REX (hardwired).

What sort of wildlife is typically in your yard? Little things like rabbits you may be able to eliminate with a pet immunity setting. You aren't going to eliminate things like deer.

The beam sensors generally aren't actually laser, I'd go for hardwired over solar/wireless

MMcCawley

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sorry for the confusion, the security is for our place in Uganda, not the US. To the best of my knowledge, there is a 360 degree wall that surrounds the property with barbed wire at the top but despite these measures, break-ins are still occurring fairly frequently in similar properties.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you buying a home in Uganda or renting (or is it owned by a church / nonprofit)? This could impact what you can do to the property.
Any photos or a satellite view or even a sketch?
What lorex camera system do you have?

MMcCawley

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Tangent,

We're renting a home and are fairly open as to what we can do to the property assuming it doesn't negatively impact the property. Aside from a couple photos we have limited information but know someone who has lived on the property recently and did not have any incidences. Attached is an image off Google Maps though the resolution is not great. I have the Lorex 4KHDIP822 system and have ordered 2 Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlights from Andy.

Attachments

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Even thou the Solar Power Photoelectric Beam (link) looks promising, any idea about pricing? As GCoco mentioned, check Dakota Alert BBT-2500 Break Beam Transmitter. Is a wireless/solar powered system, and could be combined up to 4-pairs, creating a criss-cross perimeter of 300FT (max) apart. Even each pair cost about $250, the total solution is around $1K, plus the receiver (DCR-2500, about $80).