Yes, I locked my car doors doors

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice catch! Have you given this to the police?

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just found it today as I was on vacation when it happen. I was comparing old night setting with new ones when I ran across it. I have it on a thumb drive and was going to take it to the station.

What is it called when people do that?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Well that would be committing a crime lol. Maybe the cops will recognize this local scalawag.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought there was a street name for what he is doing.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They have been doing this lately around my area. They check for unlocked doors, than come back much later at night when everyone is sleeping. The past 3 people that had their cars entered into, claim they feel that they accidentally left the door unlocked. There was no proof of forced entry, so we are assuming that the doors were open. It's still wrong to enter in the car and take stuff, but like 1 percent of me, doesn't blame the bad guy. I mean, at least he didn't break a window or jimmy the lock? LOL

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like this guy tried the old fashioned 'pull handle to see if it's locked' routine on both cars and found both locked. I didn't see any kind of interior lights come on in the F-150 either, so he apparently didn't have one of the new 'high tech' devices they speak of here. This info has been out a few month now but it's news to me and it might explain some of the thefts Vector 18 speaks of. Some of those folks just may have had their doors locked but the thief or thieves employed one of the little remote entry keyfob doo-hickeys as mentioned here. I'm not comparing them to murderers, child molesters, elderly mistreaters, rapists, or pet or animal abusers, but for some reason I'd just as soon shoot a thief as I would one of the aformentioned a$$holes. I have zero tolerance for them.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
should have been a nice thumb print on the handle...
I was on vacation that week and didn't know the occurrence for almost a month. The only reason I saw it was because I was changing nighttime image settings and wanted to compare to a previous time.

Anyone notice the teddy bear hanging from the backpack?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
It's the teddy bear burglar! You got him! That thing was probably hanging on a rear view mirror from some other poor schmuck who left HIS car open! That actually is good footage. If he would have had a reason to stick around longer, like your car being open, you might have gotten some good ID on him. Thankfully you had the doors locked. Still great footage to hand over. Isn't it funny how you find the most startling things without even looking for it? I stumble on stuff all the time. I don't routinely review footage like I used to when I first started recording. I bet I miss a lot of possible crapola not doing so. But every so often I'll take a look through motion events and go, HUH!

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ive been in Law Enforcement for quite some time. Ive never seen someone actually force a door open that I could see in this small town. I would imagine its the same way in the bigger cities. Ive taken hundreds of reports for car burglaries and believe me we appreciate it when people keep their doors locked or dont keep anything of value in their vehicle.

Please take it to the Police Department as soon as possible so they can make a report. You may have helped them solve quite a bit of crimes.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That footage could help ID the guy down the road, he might even be known already from previous crimes. At a minimum it can be linked and help solve a rash of thefts that occurred that particular night of the recording and beyond that be linked to a whole batch more around town, as it is unlikely this was his only night walk.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ive been in Law Enforcement for quite some time. Ive never seen someone actually force a door open that I could see in this small town. I would imagine its the same way in the bigger cities. Ive taken hundreds of reports for car burglaries and believe me we appreciate it when people keep their doors locked or dont keep anything of value in their vehicle.

Please take it to the Police Department as soon as possible so they can make a report. You may have helped them solve quite a bit of crimes.
I had a chance to take the video to my local PD and they didn't want anything to do with it unless I make a criminal report. I explained to them that nothing was stolen and I didn't feel that I should fill out a criminal report. I guess that stuff about see something that looks wrong and report it is just PR junk.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, on the police side of things there has to be a record as to where the footage came from and how it came about. They can't just accept it without a trail and start distributing photos from your video, without the first link in the chain.

The problem I've seen/heard a few times is the "nothing actually happened" line, where they won't take a report nor even classify whatever happened as an attempted theft from vehicle, break-in, house invasion, car theft, or whatever. That's surprised me several times ... even if without much or any actionable evidence it would just be more of an informational report for statistical purposes. And when you're dealing with actual footage that can lead to a positive ID. I don't know. Maybe it is a different continent, judicial system, culture, ... thing

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They did say if the person touched the handle on the car, I could file a criminal report. I just didn't want to file a criminal report because nothing was stolen.

The video was shown to a person at an adjoining city, completely different police department, from someone the works there. The person that saw it made some prints and handed them out to other people. I'm not sure if this was a detective or officer that did this.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Police departments have "systems" that are used to track events.
Filing a report is the only way to get it officially in the system.
What may seem like a waste of time could be the answer to stopping a one man crime wave.
Also, if you know the patrolmen in this area you could load the video onto a laptop and show it to them. It could be the answer they are looking for.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You should file a true criminal report. Law enforcement likes to discourage these filings because its screws up their "low crime" statistics.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes and no. Statistics work both ways. While low to no crime is good/better/more desirable in general. Departments also have to prove their need for manpower and equipment to do more crime prevention and crime solving. Certain things won't change or get funded unless the need is proven.