Yes Using AMD APU

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all,

My current PC specs...

Amd A8-5600K APU with Ratdeon HD 3.60ghz

24gb of ram windows 10 pro.

Running 13 IP cameras on BI.....3 Camera hardwired Other 10 are wireless average frame rate 20fps..... My Cpu after installing the 13th Ip Cam now is slamming 100%cpu usage... I am running dual monitors and using teamviewer as remote connection.... The pc also is used email and such.

My mother board is an Gigabyte F2A88x-D3HP which is an Fm2+..........I am pretty sure I have slammed the cpu. How do you calculate cpu load/camera load? I have built the Pc with a oem prowindows 10 license- if I change the mother board out I am pretty sure I will have to repurchase the windows10 pro license.

So basically i need to stick with the AMD platform....

So what would be best a "normal cpu" (I already have a secondary gpu in the pc).... or stay with APU line ?

AMD Athlon X4 880K with 125W Thermal Solution 4.0 4 Socket FM2+ AD880KXBJCSBX 99.00

or the Apu

AMD A10 7890K A-Series APU with Radeon R7 Graphics & Wraith Cooler 4.1 4 AD789KXDJCHBX 148.00

So I have some cameras that are 3mp....Do you need to lower the camera both in BI and the camera software itself? How does that effect the cpu Load?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Will be cheaper to buy a haswell i5 box for 250.. You will be paying your electric company in perpetuity.. search the forum for optiplex or elietedesk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
AMD is not competitive with Intel right now. Not even a little bit. Even if their new Zen architecture helps with that in a few months, Intel will still be king in Blue Iris due to Intel Quick Sync Video being used for hardware acceleration. Also, that many wireless cameras is just asking for instability. I am surprised they work at all after two or three.

Anyway, if you've reached 100% CPU usage, there are a few ways to try to bring that down besides buying a faster PC as fenderman has suggested. If you do not have Direct to Disk recording enabled on all the cameras, enable it (in Blue Iris, camera properties, record tab, ). If you have already done that, as I suspect you have given your numbers, then try reducing the frame rates. Do this in the camera's interface, because doing it in Blue Iris will not change the frame rate. You can change it in Blue Iris too if you want, but do not change it only in Blue Iris because Blue Iris does not actually have any control over the camera's frame rate. Anything encoding higher than 15 FPS is an easy pick- reduce it to 15 FPS. Encoding higher than about 15, you do not gain much but each frame still costs CPU time to process. I run many of my cameras at 10 FPS, some even at 6 or 3.

Another thing you can do to reduce the frame rate, and this is particularly effective if your monitor is high resolution, is to go to Blue Iris Options, Cameras tab, and check "Limit live preview rate" and enter a low frame rate in the box to the right. I run mine at 7 currently, trying to keep CPU usage under control as I recently upgraded BI to a 4K TV.

The last thing I would do is reduce camera resolution, but it can also be very effective at reducing CPU usage. Again, this is an option controlled in the camera's interface, not in Blue Iris.

I am pretty sure I have slammed the cpu. How do you calculate cpu load/camera load?
Check out http://cpubenchmark.net/ where you can get an idea of a CPU's relative performance compared to others. But also keep in mind that any Intel CPU with Quick Sync Video (all recent i3, i5, i7, plus a few others) has a huge additional advantage in Blue Iris. For me, hardware acceleration more than doubles the load I can run on the system.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Ok ..I have always been a "system builder" and have never purchased a desktop- as a result I have traditionally went the AMD route on my builds. I noticed on a couple of Intel boxes I "scrapped" (given to me for scrap)....the processors and or the memory chips where NOT removable!?!! So they reinforced me staying with AMD riggs !?!! I guess I didnt really pay attention to the fact that Intel was kicking AMD Butt!?!! I hate starting again!?!! Well okay I am going to start to look for a new intel pc - I have a Custom case I will be moving the hardware into-so scratch and dent maybe the way to go...

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't see a lot of desktop computers with an unremovable CPU, and even fewer with unremovable memory. No wonder they were given to you for scrap :)

Beware a lot of the big PC builders like HP, Dell, or Lenovo, may use proprietary or at least rare motherboards and power supplies, so you might have trouble transplanting into a different case. Also I've seen custom CPU cooling solutions that wouldn't be compatible with all cases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the problem is you need hardware video acceleration, and your using software video acceleration.. Intel QuickSync = Hardware Acceleration, anything else = Software.

so yeah in BI's situation Intel is kicking AMD's ass up one wall and down the other, it wont use your radeon's for anything.

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You don't see a lot of desktop computers with an unremovable CPU, and even fewer with unremovable memory. No wonder they were given to you for scrap :)

Beware a lot of the big PC builders like HP, Dell, or Lenovo, may use proprietary or at least rare motherboards and power supplies, so you might have trouble transplanting into a different case. Also I've seen custom CPU cooling solutions that wouldn't be compatible with all cases.

RRRRR okay Crap!?!! Thanks everyone!!