Yet ANOTHER computer thread lol

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to setup alerts...so you know right away...the skylake optiplex system was on ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-7040-Mini-Tower-Intel-6th-Gen-i7-6700-8GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-DVD-RW-/231957607370?hash=item3601c033ca:g:GF0AAOSwd2xXQIQ8
Well worth the extra 45 dollars over the xps
That's the same machine, from the same seller, which I just purchased. I've also ordered a 500GB SSD which will run as the system drive, and I'll (eventually) also purchase a 2GB drive to store BI video and I'll also add another 8GB Ram in the future...however...you don't need to do any of that right now. That system right there bud is a damn fine machine IMO.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Video Card, by definition can be removed.. its embedded graphics that cannot, (also by definition) but they can be disabled if nessicary.

unless hard-set in the bios, PC's will disable or enable embedded graphics automatically based upon the presence or lack of a video card.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have emailed the seller and asked them that if the vid card is removed does it intel with QuickSync on board graphics with an hdmi port.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have emailed the seller and asked them that if the vid card is removed does it intel with QuickSync on board graphics with an hdmi port.
Bro, go to Dell and DL the user or service manual for that machine.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why are you hung up on the xps when the optiplex i7-6700 is be better design, has dual digtal outputs (displayport), a three year next business day warranty and is cheaper.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why are you hung up on the xps when the optiplex i7-6700 is be better design, has dual digtal outputs (displayport), a three year next business day warranty, windows 10 pro vs home on the xps and is cheaper.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why are you hung up on the xps when the optiplex i7-6700 is be better design, has dual digtal outputs (displayport), a three year next business day warranty, windows 10 pro vs home on the xps and is cheaper.
Well, it may all be moot now. I have taken to long to make up my mind and the wife has now pretty much said fixing the deck is more important. (she does have a point as you have to watch where you step or your gong to go through) But the reasons for the hesitation was:

1) Optiplex 8RAM xps 16RAM
2) Optiplex 500gb HD xps 1TB and 1 model for almost the same 2TB HD
3) Optiplex Display ports vs xps HDMI - Every monitor I have is VGA and HDMI. HDMI has been a solid standard for a long time. I have heard of a lot of trouble going from display port to hdmi using an adaptor. Be my luck I would be in that boat.

But bringing the optiplex up in ram and up in hd will make the optiplex a lot more expensive than the already go xps. And I can just imagine my wife if I were to tell her thanks babe for letting me get this pc for our home safety, but now I need.... lol

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There are zero issues going from display Port to HDMI...I do it on all my bi systems as well as almost every PC in the office...
The optiplex is a much better choice...you can use the 45 dollar savings for them memory...all you would need is a drive...

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, probably in about 6-8 months (maybe a tad longer) I will be back looking for a pc. That deck is getting pretty bad. The deck planks started rotting out so fast. When we first bought this place almost 8 years ago the deck just about looked brand new. So, I can almost bet the home owner did it themselves and did not use pressure treated 2x6's. Plus to boot all the deck planks were laid with the crown side down so every time it rained there would be a nice little cup shape to puddle and hold the water on the deck along the whole length of every single board. **sigh**