Yet another post about router choice...

Moonville

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What networks will you require?
Personal (2 people, each with a laptop and iPhone) - no children
BI PC
possibly a guest

That's all I can think of but I may be missing something. What about smart devices like a Honeywell thermostat?

Reaction score
Smart devices (thermostats, vacuums, wifi light bulbs, wifi fridge/dryer/washer) should have their own network as well. They are called Internet Of Things ( IoT ).
The problem with ASUS or TP-Link or home gaming routers is that the manufacturer pages do not list how many VLAN subnets you can make (1 VLAN Subnet for each network). They only list "guest" network along with the regular network. So that's only 2 networks.
Other folks with these routers will have to jump in to advise
When I had my ASUS router 6 years ago, it could only do 2 networks (main and guest).
Is why I moved to the Ubiquiti UDM router where I could create 5+ networks (personal, IoT#1, IoT#2, guest, roomate/children).

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I was wrong with the model number, it's an Asus RT-AC86U. Supports two laptops, two phones, video doorbell, smart TV and any guests that drop by with no problem. It's a dual band and has VPN built in. There is also Merlin firmware for it that will allow more features. The laptop I'm using normally connects at 1.3Gb/ps. The other one, not as powerful a WiFi dongle is at 200Mb/ps. TV streams with no problem at all. Should be in the $100 range or less.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was wrong with the model number, it's an Asus TC-AC86U. Supports two laptops, two phones, video doorbell, smart TV and any guests that drop by with no problem. It's a dual band and has VPN built in. There is also Merlin firmware for it that will allow more features. The laptop I'm using normally connects at 1.3Gb/ps. The other one, not as powerful a WiFi dongle is at 200Mb/ps. TV streams with no problem at all. Should be in the $100 range or less.
can do VLAN subnet networks on that Asus?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, supposedly with the Merlin firmware you can do a couple if I remember correctly. I could easily be wrong about that though.

From the description I think two networks will work fine for this case. The IOT stuff can go on the guest network and the guest network can be blocked from access to the main network.

Reaction score
Yeah, supposedly with the Merlin firmware you can do a couple if I remember correctly. I could easily be wrong about that though.

From the description I think two networks will work fine for this case. The IOT stuff can go on the guest network and the guest network can be blocked from access to the main network.
Since OP is new, tossing in Merlin FW might be ..... advanced :)
True. IoT and cameras could be on the same network with MAC and/or IP blockage of the cameras.

Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 86U cannot get VLAN with merlin. The 68 version can get VLAN with tomato firmware. Tomato firmware for the 86 doesn't exist. Chipset issue or something like that.

The 68U is in the $100 range. The 86U is in the 170ish range.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, @wittaj I'm not an expert on Asus routers or alternative firmware and half remembered VLANs on Asus from somewhere. Even without a VLAN the 68U should work out in this application though.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I learned too late that the newer 86U, while faster, has less flexibility than the older 68U. But yeah, for the OP use case, the 68U is plenty.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just configured an OpenVPN server on an Asus combo router in LAS a few weeks back for the purpose of configuring a Speco NVR and a few cameras.

Took 5 minutes to configure OpenVPN server on this router. This is the first time I have ever done anything to this router or even used one of these.

Very easy and plug n play.

Connected to the VPN server just now...and see my IPv4 address as:

IP Address Location Information for 68.xx.xx.xx
City: Las Vegas
State: Nevada

Interesting that my IPv6 address is local.

Personally here with XFinity utilize an Arris SB6190 (LTE failover combo modem), PFSense box (6 NICs), Ruckus APs, Managed Gb switches, Ooma and Obi VOIP. 2 locations identical with XFinity set ups.

Zoneminder (Ubuntu 20.04) and testing Blue Iris (W2016 server)

It really depends on your service tier on both sides of your VPN tunnel which will always be your bottleneck. Today any SOHO router does OpenVPN and IPSec VPN. I like OpenWRT here an would most likely install it on an Asus router. First remote site router I used was a Linksys WRT54G (DDWRT OS) bridged to a FIOS router in FL many many years ago. The best would be what you are most comfortable with.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
One thing that I don't like about the Asus 68U routers is that they limit the number of devices that you can directly block from Internet access. I think that it's a max of 16. Which isn't too hard to surpass with a bunch of cams and other things. Some ways around that in other ways but would be better if they gave you more that could be done easily. Managing that's also not all that clear when you have devices that are no longer active. You have to go in a delete them otherwise they continue to hold one of those spots.