Your domestic property, how many cameras for external cover

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Currently I think I need cover on at least on three sides, with two cameras per side, totalling 6 cameras for starters. The 4th side has no windows or entry points. Assuming an average domestic property, how many cameras do you have or suggest.
It's all to easy to focus on the recording and display of human intruders on a cctv system but also I've cats and foxes often triggering our PIR sensors, hedgehogs, rabbits, possibly hares in winter, possibly even deer, who knows.

How many cameras do you have externally. Aside from people what non-human animals have you seen on your cctv that otherwise you might not have have realised were passing through and across your property?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got 5 cameras in trees looking at the house, one straight on and the others from corners. Depends a lot on where the trees are! The other 9 cameras cover a long driveway, a couple of acres, and the chicken coop. Animal list in order of numbers: Deer, feral cats, raccoons, coyotes, skunks, badger, porcupine, fox. Lots of birds, too. The deer, badger, and birds are the only ones I see during daylight. I occasionally have a problem with a feral cat following our cats through the kitty door, and a bluejay in the chicken coop breaking eggs. The cameras are an integral part of trapping them.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks tigerwillow1.
Too easy for me to concentrate just asking how you setup and power the cameras in the trees, but your wild life is a testament to an often hidden advantage of having a home cctv system.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
8 outside a modest 1900sq ft home. Looking to add 2 more

2 for the driveway
2 for the fr/back doors
4 for sides of house (depends on trees/fence/bushes.. etc)

I'm adding another to the patio/pool/backdoor area and an overview cam for the backyard behind the pool to see to the fence line (about 100')

Then you have to think about internal cams... for me 2

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Powering a camera in a tree is no different than anywhere else with POE. Just need to get the network cable out to it. A few of the trees are old and have hollow trunks, and I was able to fish the cable up the trunk from a few inches underground. Too much time on my hands, obviously, and I wrecked a few fairly expensive drill bits.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Currently I think I need cover on at least on three sides, with two cameras per side, totalling 6 cameras for starters. The 4th side has no windows or entry points. Assuming an average domestic property, how many cameras do you have or suggest.
It's all to easy to focus on the recording and display of human intruders on a cctv system but also I've cats and foxes often triggering our PIR sensors, hedgehogs, rabbits, possibly hares in winter, possibly even deer, who knows.

How many cameras do you have externally. Aside from people what non-human animals have you seen on your cctv that otherwise you might not have have realised were passing through and across your property?
If you haven"t, study this: cliff notes