Your idea about future of CCTV

Reaction score
As a fan of the sector I wanted to propose a game. I would like to know your ideas on the future of CCTV. In your opinion, what is currently missing in the world of CCTV? What product, what hardware or what new functionality could improve or be a turning point in the market? I am sure that many would think of AI of course, but specifically how and for what specific function would AI bring the improvement?

Thanks in advance for your reply ;)

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
As a fan of the sector I wanted to propose a game. I would like to know your ideas on the future of CCTV. In your opinion, what is currently missing in the world of CCTV? What product, what hardware or what new functionality could improve or be a turning point in the market? I am sure that many would think of AI of course, but specifically how and for what specific function would AI bring the improvement?

Thanks in advance for your reply ;)
RTC: Don’t understand how come such a cheap component isn’t incorporated into every camera.

NTP: Have more than one field to enter another or three NTP servers.

SPD: Pretty much every vendor offers shit surge protection. Would like to see GDT, SAD, and resettable PTC.

1/1.2 - 1/1.8” as standard issue and stop using all the other random shit.

AI: Real tired of reading this abbreviation because there is NO AI involved! It’s literally a Fucken filter (fixed) that can’t be changed, taught, or learn!

How can these cunts do better? How about a novel ideas of letting me just upload an image of what ever to track!!! Only a stupid idiot would not have come up with this simple idea!

Speaker / Microphone: Every camera should have one built in. Having both I/O for those who need better quality and output is of course required. Lastly, provide a 12 VDC for the fucking microphone too so stupid people don’t need to use a splitter!

Plugins: It’s only 2024 and the requirement to have full access to all the features in a camera by needing to use 1990 web browser plugins / extensions is ridiculous!

HTML5 You stupid cunts . . .

Bidirectional Linking / Tracking: Every camera should be able to call, push, send meta data to other cameras. Obviously this would help those using a PTZ to help reduce a target being lost.

Storage: Support a minimum of 512GB Micro SD. All of these cameras should be able to detect bad sectors and publish the health data that covers first use, time in use, R/W done, wear levelling if available etc.

SNMP: Pretty much every single vendor sucks complete ass relating to offering any meaningful data via SNMP! I want to see and know the following you stupid cunts!

Uptime, any errors, CPU, RAM, temperature, SNMP Traps, Access / Denied Login, All network attributes, POE / 12 VDC voltage, power, current, etc.

Much more but that’s the top ones!

Reaction score
There are different markets, which are part of CCTV world..
And those have different problems...

There are consumer brands... which offers cheap but not so good (very often very bad) hardware.. wifi and poe based.. often with cloud subscriptions which are required to have all features... in plus: they offer easy to install/configure product... and usually very easy and nice looking mobile apps. plus some end-user support and documentation...

and there are "profesional" brands.. profesional in this case usually means that they require profesional installer.
Low and medium price bracket in this market is mostly dominated by Chinese brands... and theirs OEM's.. OK - there are exceptions like Unifi Protect..

Biggest plus: wide selection of models with different levels of quality/functionality and price. The largest suppliers (HIK/Dahua) have hundreds of cams models, which are often hard to navigate.

Biggest problem: they are difficult to configure (for the average user).. they have non-intuitive mobile/computer apps and web panel applications.. setup process for a few cameras / intercom with an NVR and a mobile application so that all the features work (human detection, notifications, history events and search) often requires a high specialized knowledge what magical option You must configure somewhere at 5th level of NVR menu.

For a normal user without any previous knowledge, it is difficult to go through. In addition, technologically backward / problems: old / limited application UI / features, problematic html5 support, numerous errors, very mixed support for different features in mobile apps.. Not finished / integrated / very well worked features... Lack of documentation. Lack of support for end-users (and not so good for installers). Very short life and support time.

Reaction score
Plugins: It’s only 2024 and the requirement to have full access to all the features in a camera by needing to use 1990 web browser plugins / extensions is ridiculous!
+100

Replacement lens covers.

Ability to easily replace the lens to different telephoto lenses.

Built-in high-power laser to zap a perp and leave very little ash.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Teken, very interesting.
I answer you on some point:

RTC: Don’t understand how come such a cheap component isn’t incorporated into every camera.
Maybe I'm wrong, but when I turn off and on again a camera....the clock is still synchronized. RTC has a different function?

AI: Real tired of reading this abbreviation because there is NO AI involved! It’s literally a Fucken filter (fixed) that can’t be changed, taught, or learn!
How can these cunts do better? How about a novel ideas of letting me just upload an image of what ever to track!!! Only a stupid idiot would not have come up with this simple idea!
I know for sure that this functions exist... and not for so expensive cameras. One model I tested allow to insert an image of a false alarm to teach the alghorithm to filter it in future (learning by example).

Speaker / Microphone: Every camera should have one built in. Having both I/O for those who need better quality and output is of course required. Lastly, provide a 12 VDC for the fucking microphone too so stupid people don’t need to use a splitter!
There's a lot of camera models on the market for each brand, and in the catalog there's a full offer that include models with one o two mic onboard or Audio input with 12V output for microphone.

Bidirectional Linking / Tracking: Every camera should be able to call, push, send meta data to other cameras. Obviously this would help those using a PTZ to help reduce a target being lost.
This is very interesting. now there's only integrated fixed + PTZ camera models that have linkage, but with the function you propose integration would be limitless.

Storage: Support a minimum of 512GB Micro SD. All of these cameras should be able to detect bad sectors and publish the health data that covers first use, time in use, R/W done, wear levelling if available etc.
I know there are models that show only the % of the status of SD card, it would be interesting to have the other informations.

SNMP: Pretty much every single vendor sucks complete ass relating to offering any meaningful data via SNMP! I want to see and know the following you stupid cunts!

Uptime, any errors, CPU, RAM, temperature, SNMP Traps, Access / Denied Login, All network attributes, POE / 12 VDC voltage, power, current, etc.
I totally agree with you, I see only 3 trap for famous brand cameras: on, off and reboot. It's not enough.

Reaction score
Biggest problem: they are difficult to configure (for the average user).. they have non-intuitive mobile/computer apps and web panel applications.. setup process for a few cameras / intercom with an NVR and a mobile application so that all the features work (human detection, notifications, history events and search) often requires a high specialized knowledge what magical option You must configure somewhere at 5th level of NVR menu.
About professional cameras I think it's better if they have a more difficult configuration and are the prerogative of professional installers. High levels of CCTV shouldn't be for everyone.
Thanks ;)

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The time may come back but without NTP the clock in all my Dahua cameras does drift by quite a lot so the built in clock should be more accurate.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Figure out how to do firmware updates without bricking your shit.

Other industries have managed to figure it out to the point that it has now become trivial.

Clucky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The future is going to be drones flying everywhere with cameras and CCTV nano technology in your vaccines so Bill Gates and his pedo friends like Jeffrey E. can all spy on you during the next Bohevian Grove festival.

That's what Alex Jones said on the air today.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
RTC: The purpose of the RTC is to allow the system to operate for longer period of time with a level of accuracy.

Once NTP has been setup it will also keep the RTC accurate in time keeping. In the worst case scenario the RTC could be the master clock vs relying on the system clock. The benefits of the RTC is it survives a reboot, first power up, and loss of power scenarios.

GPS: This technology has become so cheap like RTC that it’s just a give me feature to have. This feature would be intended on at least two fronts.

The obvious one is where the camera is physically installed. The other is related to range finding, tracking, and determining the coordinates of where the camera is pointing at.

Radar: This is another technology that has gone down in price that costs pennies on the dollar. Combined with the GPS it will determine the speed, direction, height, of an object. Linked with the GPS it can determine the actual location of the target object.

This obviously offers great benefits for PTZ but also fixed cameras. Some vendors call it EPTZ where all the functions are done electronically / software.

There’s no reason a fixed camera could not integrate both radar / GPS. Obviously there’s more benefit in a PTZ. But given the less moving parts it would help reduce the price too in the fixed cameras.

Watch Dog: I have not seen this feature deployed as successfully like in other industries. In the most simple examples some just ping to a destination.

While others ping but also send key metrics to affirm the system is fully operational in all aspects.

Firmware: I agree with the other member that this specific area needs improvement! In 2024 there’s zero excuses for bricking a system due to a firmware upgrade.

Almost everything I work on has partition sectors that either save the previous firmware in a secure area. Should the user need to go back for what ever reason they can easily roll back!

Cheaper systems save the upgrade process in high memory. This only works if the power is reliable otherwise it’s a shit show!

Reaction score
Ok for box camera, for bullet and turret maybe would be lost the IP66-67.
OK, you asked for things currently missing. I answered with one. Don't say something negative about it. I want that for all my cams and it should be available without losing the IP66-67 rating.

Another one:

The ability to get accurate facial reconstruction behind masks.

Last edited:

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
More accurate AI will improve accuracy and allow external monitoring companies to monitor your home and business using video analytics, it's already kinda here and easier to do for business, but homes are harder.

Not sure exactly how it will work but it will be big.