Zero Tier remote access to Blue Iris

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It does not need to show there.
TimG on the other forums explained it well when he replied
"That's because ZT is a local LAN connection as far as your BI5 pc is concerned, even though it can connect to the other side of the planet. My WAN setting is empty there in BI5, and my LAN is still set on the home LAN. You should be able to see your ZT IP there as a LAN IP, but don't change to it ! "

emersonvier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It does not need to show there.
TimG on the other forums explained it well when he replied
"That's because ZT is a local LAN connection as far as your BI5 pc is concerned, even though it can connect to the other side of the planet. My WAN setting is empty there in BI5, and my LAN is still set on the home LAN. You should be able to see your ZT IP there as a LAN IP, but don't change to it ! "
Thank you for your information, but I can't access Blue Iris through my cell phone when I'm off Wifi.

emersonvier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I made another test here.

I use the ping command from Blue Iris to Android Phone - It works
I ping from my Android Phone to Blue Iris - it works

Open the Android browser and try to see the ui3 - Did not work

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you entering 172.28.60.180:81 from your phone?
assuming your are using the BI default port 81. I use a different one.
EDITED: I tried to login using my Iphone and the above did not work.
I entered my ZT ip in the LAN box on the BI ap and that worked.
Now I am having issues loggin into my neighbors BI system from my PC.

I would suggest trying Tailscale as I find it more reliable myself. I use them both but prefer Tailscale.

Last edited:

emersonvier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you entering 172.28.60.180:81 from your phone?
assuming your are using the BI default port 81. I use a different one.
I use diffeent port too, I write down correctly port.

But I made other test too changed BlueIris to port 81 and tried, same results, nothing works.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I corrected my message above but you beat me to it.
I originaly tried to install ZT a couple years ago and it just didn't want to work so I tried Tailscale and it worked. I finally got ZT working but there are times when it doesn't
Tailscale has never let me down.
edited: Was trying to replicate the problem by accessing my neighbors BI pc from my phone and it would not connect using the browser but would work with the BI ap.
I just now tried again and ZT worked from the browser.... I'm sticking to Tailscale

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I originaly tried to install ZT a couple years ago and it just didn't want to work so I tried Tailscale and it worked. I finally got ZT working but there are times when it doesn't
Over the last two months or so ZT has acted funny for me. Could have been when I switched to a new phone...either way, went to TS and its been perfect.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you reviewed this YouTube? It presents the setup steps well…
I really enjoyed that guy's YouTube channel and he had tons of content but a few months ago something happened and his channel was gone. A couple months later he/or someone started the Learn Blue Iris channel and added his BI related videos to it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed that guy's YouTube channel and he had tons of content but a few months ago something happened and his channel was gone. A couple months later he/or someone started the Learn Blue Iris channel and added his BI related videos to it.
Its him. In the channel trailer you can see its him introducing the channel.

emersonvier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
edited: Was trying to replicate the problem by accessing my neighbors BI pc from my phone and it would not connect using the browser but would work with the BI ap.
I just now tried again and ZT worked from the browser.... I'm sticking to Tailscale
Late last night yesterday I tested the Tailscale, so pings work OK, but not the Blue Iris App or UE3.

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
in the BI Webserver tab, you can select the ZT created adapter. If I remember correctly, once you select the ZT adapter (which has the ZT IP address in the name), it inserts the ZT IP in the external IP field.