ZeroTier?

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm new to ZeroTier, so I'm sorry if this is a silly question... Does ZeroTier work with UI3 on a laptop/MacBook away from your LAN?

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sure, Install it on those devices, choose the same Zerotier network that you set up in BI, login to myzerotier dot com and check the "Auth?" box. Within a couple of minutes it will show in the "Last seen" box if it is working.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sure, Install it on those devices, choose the same Zerotier network that you set up in BI, login to myzerotier dot com and check the "Auth?" box. Within a couple of minutes it will show in the "Last seen" box if it is working.

I appreciate your feedback. I now have my BI server and laptop added to the ZeroTier network.

Within the BI Web Server settings - Remote, external (WAN/Internet) access, do I put the server's ZeroTier Managed IP or physical IP?

Sir V Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm interested in using ZeroTier for remote access to my Blue Iris PC. It sounds like a good solution for me since my current router isn't capable of hosting OpenVPN. Maybe someday I'll have a 42U rack filled with the coolest networking gear, but for now my budget is focused on a half dozen good cameras and a Blue Iris PC. The ZeroTier price (free) is very compatible with my budget. :)

So I have a couple questions for the networking ninjas...

- I am definitely going to dual-NIC the Blue Iris PC and use all the recommended settings to completely isolate the camera subnet from the internet. Is it only necessary to install ZeroTier on the one Blue Iris PC and the one iPhone I plan to use for remote access? Or for proper security, do I need to install it on every PC and device on the home subnet side of the Blue Iris PC? I only want to access Blue Iris remotely, I have no plans for remotely accessing any other PC or device on the home network. My confusion comes from the fact that ZeroTier is not running on the "front door" of my network, sitting between the modem and the router like OpenVPN would. Does the ZeroTier tunnel between the Blue Iris PC and the iPhone subject the other machines on my home network to security risks if they are not running ZeroTier?

- Regarding the dual-NIC setup for the Blue Iris PC, if I use the motherboard GB ethernet connection for the camera subnet, is it possible to use the WiFi adapter (802.11ax) for reach back to the home subnet? Will this provide sufficient bandwidth to connect to Blue Iris from another PC on the home network using UI3 and/or connect remotely to Blue Iris with an iPhone using the app? Or do I need to add a GB dongle on a USB 3.0 port to get the necessary performance? I am not using the home network WiFi for any other bandwidth intensive purposes. I'm really just trying to avoid running another cable to the location I plan to setup the Blue Iris PC. But I will if it is critical for performance and reliability.

Looking forward to your great insight and critique...

Reaction score
Is it only necessary to install ZeroTier on the one Blue Iris PC and the one iPhone I plan to use for remote access?
Yes.
do I need to install it on every PC and device on the home subnet side of the Blue Iris PC?
No.
Does the ZeroTier tunnel between the Blue Iris PC and the iPhone subject the other machines on my home network to security risks if they are not running ZeroTier?
No.
- Regarding the dual-NIC setup for the Blue Iris PC, if I use the motherboard GB ethernet connection for the camera subnet, is it possible to use the WiFi adapter (802.11ax) for reach back to the home subnet? Will this provide sufficient bandwidth to connect to Blue Iris from another PC on the home network using UI3 and/or connect remotely to Blue Iris with an iPhone using the app? Or do I need to add a GB dongle on a USB 3.0 port to get the necessary performance? I am not using the home network WiFi for any other bandwidth intensive purposes. I'm really just trying to avoid running another cable to the location I plan to setup the Blue Iris PC. But I will if it is critical for performance and reliability.
You can probably get by using the WIFI for back connecting to the BI PC for using UI3 without any issues. But I am not sure how performant it will be for connecting to the internet and using ZT to your iPhone. The only real way to know is to try it. If it is not performant, then you could run another cable.

If you go to the bother of running another cable, then instead of using an USB dongle, install an PCI network card. They can be had for $40-$50.

Here is one:
Amazon.com: Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter EXPI9301CTBLK : Electronics

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Sir V Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you go to the bother of running another cable, then instead of using an USB dongle, install an PCI network card. They can be had for $40-$50.
Thanks for the info samplenhold. It looks like ZeroTier will be a good solution for me initially.