Zmodo POE Cameras

Reaction score
I have 4 cameras from my Zmodo system, but want to start using blue iris. But when I hook them up to my cisco POE switch they do not power on. Has anyone encountered this before? I know it is not the switch because it will power up my POE VOIP phones. Thanks in advance.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know it is not the switch because it will power up my POE VOIP phones. Thanks in advance.
uh yeah dont be so quick to rule that out; Cisco had POE out before a standard was developed for it; and thus there was a long period where Cisco gear was using non-standard PoE.. Its often called PoE Legacy/Pre-Standard and really only works on other cisco devices, like VoIP phones. My Cisco 7970 phones support both legacy and standard PoE. iirc Cisco Legacy PoE has the polarity reversed from standard PoE, and thus cannot be made standard via a software update.

Whats the model # of your switch? Its very possible it does not support 802.3af PoE

edit: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet#Cisco

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 4 cameras from my Zmodo system, but want to start using blue iris. But when I hook them up to my cisco POE switch they do not power on. Has anyone encountered this before? I know it is not the switch because it will power up my POE VOIP phones. Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I'm running two Zmodo 4 Channel sPoE system and accessing the cameras from Blue Iris as well.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to use the Zmodo NVR for power and 24/7 recording and use Blue Iris as well for primary event monitoring, etc? It's like having a back-up device, but even better since you can use all the Blue Iris features.

Tiger

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm running two Zmodo 4 Channel sPoE system and accessing the cameras from Blue Iris as well.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to use the Zmodo NVR for power and 24/7 recording and use Blue Iris as well for primary event monitoring, etc? It's like having a back-up device, but even better since you can use all the Blue Iris features.

Tiger
Well I did not want to run new cables. I just wanted to use my existing POE switch, but I have since found out they do not use the standard poe voltage making me have to use their nvr. Now I am trying to add the cameras/nvr to the blue iris software.

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I did not want to run new cables. I just wanted to use my existing POE switch, but I have since found out they do not use the standard poe voltage making me have to use their nvr. Now I am trying to add the cameras/nvr to the blue iris software.
Hi there,

It's a snap pointing BI to each IPC device once you identify their individual IP address. I installed the Zmodo (Zviewer) PC application (Download from Zmodo web site). This application makes identifying IP's and individual IPC configs much easier.

I would recommend using the NVR for recording 24/7 only. Avoid setting up email and sms alerts on the Zmodo NVR or PC application. It will drive you crazy because the Zmodo software doesn't allow you to fine tune motion sensitivity like BI and thus causes multiple alarms. I set all my cameras to the highest image quality.

When configuring cams inside BI make sure to select (Zmodo ZH/ZMD/ZP RSTP port 10554) for each device. This is assuming that your using the 720p sPoE system. I would also recommend setting your receive buffer for each camera (same screen as camera selection) from 0.5 to 3.0.

Tiger

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi there,

It's a snap pointing BI to each IPC device once you identify their individual IP address. I installed the Zmodo (Zviewer) PC application (Download from Zmodo web site). This application makes identifying IP's and individual IPC configs much easier.

I would recommend using the NVR for recording 24/7 only. Avoid setting up email and sms alerts on the Zmodo NVR or PC application. It will drive you crazy because the Zmodo software doesn't allow you to fine tune motion sensitivity like BI and thus causes multiple alarms. I set all my cameras to the highest image quality.

When configuring cams inside BI make sure to select (Zmodo ZH/ZMD/ZP RSTP port 10554) for each device. This is assuming that your using the 720p sPoE system. I would also recommend setting your receive buffer for each camera (same screen as camera selection) from 0.5 to 3.0.

Tiger

Thank you. This is the part I needed to know. Now I just have to buy a license and stop using the demo.

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you. This is the part I needed to know. Now I just have to buy a license and stop using the demo.
Your welcome bro.

Your investment in Blue Iris is worth every penny and you will know doubt enjoy the results. If you need any setup help with either the Zmodo NVR or BI just ask.

Tiger