zone crossing fine tuning

dstinson

n3wb
Reaction score
hi everyone, i recently learned (from this forum) what zone crossing is and I love it. It has changed my life. Thanks to the great videos i have minimized my alerts drastically from the sun and wind. I have one cam that i cannot get to where i want it and was hoping someone might have some experience with this. I have been playing with this bullet Hikvision cam for quite some time and started with 3 zones and than i maxed out the zones to A-F for testing purposes but i still cannot get it just right. I cannot get it to sense me walking to the gate (see screen shot below), and only sometimes does it actually fire when i open the gate all the way. I made large zones and then i made a bunch of small zones (arrows below pointing to them) but I would like to the cam to start recording when i am walking to the gate. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

PS screen shots included and the one that shows all the zones was for screen shot purposes only, I turned off the entire zone so you all can see the different zones.

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 6.38.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 6.38.02 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 6.37.53 PM.png

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the Min. object size is too large to detect you behind the fence. And it can't be made any smaller it seems.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do not think you will ever get any good results w/ movement behind your fence. You will have to add a cam on the other side, or move the existing one. I find best results using 3 zones and the equation like AB>C. Your zones are too small for the "object travels 65" pixels" setting. Remember, as you look downrange, there are less pixels to use because targets are smaller. Use the "highlight motion" option and watch motion on your phone as you walk around. Also try rotating your cam 90 degrees and change video in BI to compensate, so you are not staring at your blank wall on right. Not much action there.

Last edited:

dstinson

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks, can you explain more in detail what the AB>C actually does?

dstinson

n3wb
Reaction score
cool. thanks all
I think i will move the cam and tweak the BI settings.