Zone specific alerts to mobile on motion trigger

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running BI 5 and the Android app. I tried to set up alerts to my phone and found a useful YouTube video by HomeTech that addressed this setup, using PushOver, albeit for BI4. On BI 5 the screens and settings look different, particularly around mobile device tags. I've got our mobiles set up in the mobile devices tab and I see a device ID but cannot figure out how to link the alert and the mobile. Also, I'm not clear if I need to use PushOver or if the BI app (Android) will do the job. One minor point is I cannot see how to send the alert on trigger only for a specific zone. For example, I have three zones set up at the front door (far(A)/mid(B)/near(C). I want to record activity in all three zones and, for example, trigger an alert in the near zone C (effectively, a doorbell alert) and a separate alert for an object in the far zone A (e.g. where the car is parked) How can I achieve that? I think I might be able to do the doorbell alert with object crosses zones B>C?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Don’t know if there might be other ways to do this but one way is to clone the camera and then add your zones, rules and alerts to the new clones cam so that it only alerts when it see motion up against the front door.

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've managed to get the triggers working OK, e.g. A>B, B-C, and the camera records any such activity.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get alerts to my phone please? It's somewhere in Settings/Alerts/Actions/On Alert/Configure Push Notification. Text:?, Sound: (doorbell), Required Mobile Device Tags: ?

LT20

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe "pushover" is just for the Blue Iris Tools "BIT" add-ons. I'm not in front of my pc with Blue Iris on it, but if I recall correctly. You'll want to go to the "Mobile Devices" tab on the settings page on Blue Iris. I was able to add a device tag to my phone, which was already listed as I had already set it up for the Blue Iris app.

After you have your device listed and know it's "tag"; Go to a Camera's settings, Alert tab, then I believe "On Trigger" at the bottom and you can create a rule.

It's on p.47 of the BI5 manual/pdf. I'm not sure if It came with the BI5 download, or if I found it online.

edit- I found the manual through an Amcrest link, Michael Marsh is sharing it on google drive -

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe "pushover" is just for the Blue Iris Tools "BIT" add-ons. I'm not in front of my pc with Blue Iris on it, but if I recall correctly. You'll want to go to the "Mobile Devices" tab on the settings page on Blue Iris. I was able to add a device tag to my phone, which was already listed as I had already set it up for the Blue Iris app.

After you have your device listed and know it's "tag"; Go to a Camera's settings, Alert tab, then I believe "On Trigger" at the bottom and you can create a rule.

It's on p.47 of the BI5 manual/pdf. I'm not sure if It came with the BI5 download, or if I found it online.

edit- I found the manual through an Amcrest link, Michael Marsh is sharing it on google drive -
Bi 5 manual is installed with bi. Click the big ? At top of window.

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

You are correct about Pushover (I'll deal with that later). Meantime, I cannot get push notifications (alerts) to my mobile which is set in mobile devices as "OnePlus" Is that the tag I should use in the alerts field?

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have another issue right now. The camera is streaming OK but BI is not picking up on triggers at all. I have one or two clips recorded from 31 Jan, which is after the firmware upgrade 30 Jan. I've rebooted the camera again but no change. Any suggestions where to start investigating?

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have another issue right now. The camera is streaming OK but BI is not picking up on triggers at all. I have one or two clips recorded from 31 Jan, which is after the firmware upgrade 30 Jan. I've rebooted the camera again but no change. Any suggestions where to start investigating?
Edit. I applied the recent (BI) updates.

Also, I'm able to manually start/stop recording and take a snapshot via BI UI. Are the camera settings (as accessed directly on the camera) for motion detection, etc. effective when using BI? I guess some of them went to default after the firmware update.

Last edited:

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just in case anyone encounters this problem I cleared some of the checkbox settings on the camera directly. BI triggers and alerts now working OK.