Zoom In and CENTER w/BI5?

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This should be extremely simple. I finally upgraded to BI5 from BI4.

I noticed in the live shots of my cameras, while I can still zoom in, I can't move the view around so that I can see a zoomed-in object. If there's, say, a vehicle in the upper right-hand portion of the screen at 100% view, I can zoom in the view to, say, 300%, but I can't move the view around to see the vehicle anymore. It only zooms in on the center. I was able zoom and move around the view in BI4 with my mouse. Is this very basic feature not available in BI5 or am I just unaware how to do it (and if so, what's the secret)?

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try placing your cursor on the object, like the upper right hand corner, and then scroll/zoom from there.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This should be extremely simple. I finally upgraded to BI5 from BI4.

I noticed in the live shots of my cameras, while I can still zoom in, I can't move the view around so that I can see a zoomed-in object. If there's, say, a vehicle in the upper right-hand portion of the screen at 100% view, I can zoom in the view to, say, 300%, but I can't move the view around to see the vehicle anymore. It only zooms in on the center. I was able zoom and move around the view in BI4 with my mouse. Is this very basic feature not available in BI5 or am I just unaware how to do it (and if so, what's the secret)?
Still works for me, you should see a small hand icon appear on the cam in question after zooming, and then click and hold on the left mouse button will "grab" the image and you can move it around.

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bizarre. It certainly still works in the CLIPS that have been recorded -- I'm able to "grab" the image and move it around; but I am still unable to do the same with the live shots. Perhaps it's some setting that is or isn't checked. I'll wait for some more thoughts but evidently I do now have BI support itself for a year itself since I paid the $29.95 the other day. Thanks for your reply - at least that tells me it SHOULD be working.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine works as yours does in live view. I don't get a hand, just the + and cannot pan while zoomed. I rarely use the console so haven't noticed before or looked to see if there's some setting to change that behavior. UI3 works as you described it previously working - can pan while zoomed in.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Clicking and dragging to pan still works in BI5. What kind of input device are you using? Is it a regular mouse with a mouse wheel?

The only setting I'm aware of to affect this is here:

1648148306448.png

But unchecking that disables mouse wheel zoom for live views, and it sounds like that isn't your problem.

There is only one issue I'm aware of with Blue Iris's digital zoom, and that is when you zoom in with the mouse wheel, it is supposed to keep the spot under your pointer from moving as you zoom. But that hasn't been working correctly in a long time now. It is normally still possible to pan it to where you want by click and drag so I haven't bothered sending a bug report to BI support.

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I'm using a very standard Logitech M510 mouse with a top wheel.

I saw -- and thank you for the print-screen -- the "Use mouse wheel for digital zoom" button IS checked. I tried to troubleshoot that by unchecking it, and rechecking it, and logging out and logging back in - the whole gamut. What's IRONIC however, is I noticed that when I UNCHECKED that feature, my mouse, zoom and pan STILL worked for my clips, but still didn't for my live views.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm... on further looking mine seems to vary by cam.

Most are working (or not working) as you describe. I click to get a single-cam view. Touch the mouse wheel and the cursor changes to the magnifying glass. From there I can zoom but cannot pan.

For a couple of little Wyze cams that I have, it works differently. Click to get single cam view and the cursor stays as an arrow. If I zoom using the wheel, the cursor changes to a hand and I can zoom and pan.

I'll look some and see if I can find whatever difference there is in the setup for those cams vs others.

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, et al. for your help and thoughts. Hey, between Covid and the Ukraine, this is entirely a first-world problem so if it doesn't get fixed, well, that's OK.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I see no obvious difference in settings for the cams. :idk:

I thought maybe it was cams that I added after moving to BI5 which would be the case for the Wyze cams but that's not right since I'm sure I added two others that don't pan after. Not resolution. Not WiFi which I thought maybe since the Wyze are about all I have but I remembered that I also have an Annke cube running WiFi and it doesn't pan.

As you say, no big deal since I generally don't use the console and wouldn't have noticed other than testing to see what you described.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhhh! I think I found it. Try disabling PTZ controls for the non-working cams.

Not sure why most of my non-PTZ cams have ended up with it enabled but they are and that seems to control whether you get the pan when zoomed. Maybe because they're most all vari-focal and I had that set to enable the optical zoom/focus and have copied things around.

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
THAT FIXED IT! OMG, thank you BP (and all others who weighed in of course)! I would never have thought of that. I admit, I DO like to use that feature if I see something suspicious to zoom in an move the cam to keep the activity in view, and would've hated to be with out it.

Count that as double-good deed for the day BP! :)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Now Ya tell me! been here 2 years and still learning stuff about BI. I'll admit I was a skeptic at first. Thought this had some advantages over NVR interface, of which I'm no expert, but found frustrating when looking for the crime.
But after 2 years. I hope it's around for along time. I can spend less time looking for crime and get on with my Maintenance job.