Zoom lens for a Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS

Reaction score
I have a Dahua (Loryta) IPC-T5442TM-AS that I would like to put a zoom lens on (probably 16mm) to use it for being able to see license plate numbers at night. Is it possible to put a zoom lens on this? Or is this not a good camera to try to use for that?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua doesn't offer a way to change the lens. You are set with the focal length you buy. They do make a varifocal turret already out to 12mm.

How far away are the car plates you need to capture? 16mm isn't much zoom. The cars would have to be very close in order to read plates.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
See these threads:

Notice that these mods are on bullet cams. Turret cams usually do not have enough room for bigger lenses.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I learned a lot. I didn't even know "LPR" was a thing. I have a lot more reading I need to do now.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a Dahua (Loryta) IPC-T5442TM-AS that I would like to put a zoom lens on (probably 16mm) to use it for being able to see license plate numbers at night. Is it possible to put a zoom lens on this? Or is this not a good camera to try to use for that?
I use a camera (IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E) zoomed to 64mm to capture plates at ~120 feet away.

Reaction score
I use a camera (IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E) zoomed to 64mm to capture plates at ~120 feet away.
Yeah, I would just prefer to have a turret camera if I can. The distance for ours is about 30-40 feet, so the 16mm zoom seems to be about all we need.