ZOSI Camera Software Issues

shank

n3wb
Reaction score
ModelNo: ZR08EN
Amazon ASIN: B083324G8D

We just had the above ZOSI x 8 cameras installed. The cameras appear to be OK, but the ZOSI PC Client software is total crap. I can't get the playback timeline to pull up the correct time stamped video. It's a day off, hours off, unpredictable and really annoying. Hopefully someone has had the same issues and cab offer guidance. It's been 4 days with tech support and I'm getting nowhere.

Is there another software that will work with the ZOSI NVR?

What's involved in replacing the entire ZOSI NVR and software with something more reliable? What do I need to consider when replacing? Do I assume the ZOSI POE cameras will work with any POE system? Does anyone have an NVR and software they like? Suggestions?

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most recommend that you match camera brand with NVR to ensure functionality. So these may work with another NVR or they may not. But those are pretty low-end cameras, so probably not. Quick look didn't say if the cameras are ONVIF compliant. A lot of these systems use proprietary firmware to keep people tied to their brand.

An NVR isn't like a computer, so there isn't software that you can add to it. And many find that NVR viewing software is crap. Especially lower end units.

Regarding other software, I'd recommend you consider a Blue Iris/computer combo as an NVR. Keep in mind an NVR is simply a stripped down computer after all... And this would allow you the flexibility to mix camera brands.

You don't need to buy components and build one, or buy a new computer either.

When I was looking at replacing an existing NVR, once I realized that not all NVRs are created equal, and once I priced out a good one, it was cheaper to buy a refurbished computer than an NVR.

Many of us buy refurbished computers that are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that.

A member here a couple months ago found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. Blue Iris has a demo, so try it out on an existing computer and see if you like it.

Blue Iris has a demo, so try it out on an existing computer and see if you like it. You can probably pull the cameras from the NVR right into Blue Iris by simply adding in the IP address of the NVR in the camera IP address of Blue Iris and putting in a user and password then down about halfway is a camera # and you just select the camera number to bring in.

There is a big Blue Iris or NVR debate here LOL. Some people love Blue Iris and think NVRs are clunky and hard to use and others think Blue Iris is clunky and hard to use. I have done both and prefer Blue Iris. As with everything YMMV...

And you can disable Windows updates and set up the computer to automatically restart in a power failure, and then you have a more powerful NVR with a nice mobile viewing interface.

Blue Iris is great and works with probably more camera brands than most VMS programs, but there are brands that don't work well or not at all - Rings, Arlos, Nest, Some Zmodo cams use proprietary systems and cannot be used with Blue Iris, and for a lot of people Reolink doesn't work well either. But we would recommend staying away from those brands even if you go the NVR route with one of those brands...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ModelNo: ZR08EN
Amazon ASIN: B083324G8D

We just had the above ZOSI x 8 cameras installed. The cameras appear to be OK, but the ZOSI PC Client software is total crap. I can't get the playback timeline to pull up the correct time stamped video. It's a day off, hours off, unpredictable and really annoying. Hopefully someone has had the same issues and cab offer guidance. It's been 4 days with tech support and I'm getting nowhere.

Is there another software that will work with the ZOSI NVR?

What's involved in replacing the entire ZOSI NVR and software with something more reliable? What do I need to consider when replacing? Do I assume the ZOSI POE cameras will work with any POE system? Does anyone have an NVR and software they like? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Welcome @shank

ZOSI a brand that we have little info on, and having trouble finding info specs on the cameras.

Try to see if you can get an rtsp feed from the cameras, if so you can pass them to a 3rd party kit like Blue Iris to process...

If the ZOSI cameras meet ONVIF specs, or if just the basics like proper PoE specs + rtsp you could try a PoE switch and Blue Iris or similar VMS software.. I'd try that with a small PoE switch and test with VLC if you can see the stream.

FYI - more info on the cameras for those following this thread

1628195636163.png

shank

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I installed both Blue Iris and Ividean and neither would find the cameras. I can ping the ZOSI NVR at 192.168.1.2 from my workstation. But neither software will connect to the NVR or cameras. Below are the camera IP addresses (2 of the 8 cameras). I cannot ping them. I assume that's because they are behind the NVR. I did not disconnect the cameras from the ZOSI NVR and connect to a switch to our router, bypassing the NVR. I'd like the NVR to do it's job with the internal 1TB HDD. I'm just trying to get a software that's better than the ZOSI. Still welcoming solutions.

2 of 8 Camera IP 's:
etc...

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I installed both Blue Iris and Ividean and neither would find the cameras. I can ping the ZOSI NVR at 192.168.1.2 from my workstation. But neither software will connect to the NVR or cameras. Below are the camera IP addresses (2 of the 8 cameras). I cannot ping them. I assume that's because they are behind the NVR. I did not disconnect the cameras from the ZOSI NVR and connect to a switch to our router, bypassing the NVR. I'd like the NVR to do it's job with the internal 1TB HDD. I'm just trying to get a software that's better than the ZOSI. Still welcoming solutions.

2 of 8 Camera IP 's:
etc...

Thanks!
Hi @shank

Try ZOSI tech support and ask what the format is for getting the rtsp video stream to VLC .. or how to stream another software ..

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i have a Zosi ( because i was Green {stop laughing at me}) it was my second try at a 2mp Coax analog HD cam. It works on a Nightowl dvr. but were not talking apples to apples.
Looks like you can download a piece of Zosi desktop software. to view from a PC.

shank

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I installed the Win 10 PC Client and that's where I've been having the trouble with ZOSI software. Just a POS. I had AVSS v1.7.2. Overnight, ZOSI tech sent me AVSS v1.7.3 and it won't even install. Wow, did I make a mistake buying this camera system.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any chance you can return it?

shank

n3wb
Reaction score
Not really. Everything is installed and packaging was tossed once everything was up and running. It was a couple weeks that passed when I first needed to harvest clips. That's when I figured out how miserable ZOSI actually is. Live and learn. In time, I will either get ZOSI to improve or I will replace the NVR and, of course, software. I'm going to be changing internet providers which means equipment change. So as soon as the dust settles, I will have a better idea of what I need to do. I like the look of Blue Iris software so compatibility with that is on the list.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can keep blue iris even if it doesn't work on Zosi. then you'll alreay have the license when you go a different direction. The Amcrest NVR's can work with/alongside Blue Iris. they are Dahua OEM's.
I found this out the hard way. ( by buying Nightowl Dvr's that don't import into BI)
Im thinking you get an 8channel from them, from ebay with the AmcrestDirect seller. put the Zosi hard drive in that. then your kind of future ready to migrate away from Zosi.
i got this one.
this one here ----> i have running out in a remote Garage. i have the capability to either log onto the NVR interface, or import individual by using the Cam1/Cam2/Cam3 method in Blue Iris.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.