Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all. Need some help as have been tearing what's left of my hair out all afternoon!

Just received three of these from Andy and am trying to add the first to an XVR7416L DVR. I've changed the IP address to static, changed the admin password and can successfully login via a browser and view the stream and settings. However I cannot get the NVR to successfully show the stream. It sees the camera but there's a red circle under status indicating failed connection. I've checked the username and password but it often states account locked in the display screen for the camera. Tried a reboot after checking password but no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated. It's my first IP install as I'm used to analogue so apologies for being stupid.
My personal experience learns me that the NVR is best suited to "auto-initialize" any (Dahua) IPC - so I would suggest to factory reset the cam (open it up, find the reset pin, powercycle the cam and hold the pin for 30sec). It will get the default IP (192.168.1.108), but the NVR will still find it, and auto-configure (initialize) the camera.

Good luck!

Andyh747

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I did let the NVR initialise the camera but it failed to connect. However I've now got it working but don't know why. I created another user account and used this to authenticate the camera on the NVR. That has worked. However the admin account didn't work. Anyone suggest why this is?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I did let the NVR initialise the camera but it failed to connect. However I've now got it working but don't know why. I created another user account and used this to authenticate the camera on the NVR. That has worked. However the admin account didn't work. Anyone suggest why this is?
Try the NVR admin/pass account as credentials on the IPC, that might work.

Andyh747

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK I still haven't worked out what's wrong here as I did initially use the NVR admin/pass account for the camera. Creating a new user solved that one but again unsure why.

I've just added a second camera and this time I left the NVR to it's own devices without altering the default settings apart from the IP address. The NVR found it and all displays perfectly. However I now can't login to the camera web interface with admin/admin. It says incorrect login details when trying to login via a browser. So what credentials has the NVR set for this camera?? I thought selecting the NVR to initialise with default details would leave the camera with its default credentials but obviously not.

So anyone know why I can't now login to the camera web interface with the default credentials? I also tried the NVR admin and password just in case that's what the NVR had set for the camera but no luck.

UPDATE:
OK as usual with these things, human error! The NVR does indeed give a new camera it's own admin and password. I'd obviously typed in the NVR password incorrectly but retried and now have access. It's a pity this isn't made clear somewhere in the manual for the NVR when you add a camera. Hope my mistake might help somebody else.

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
UPDATE:
OK as usual with these things, human error! The NVR does indeed give a new camera it's own admin and password. I'd obviously typed in the NVR password incorrectly but retried and now have access. It's a pity this isn't made clear somewhere in the manual for the NVR when you add a camera. Hope my mistake might help somebody else.
My prof at university called this "EBKAC" ;-)

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This model has a newer firmware 20180813, suit for IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and old model IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .Will post tomorrow after we make a testing here.
Happy to test here thanks @EMPIRETECANDY

I rolled back all the other cameras to the Bobber 2017 firmware as they all seem to work better with that when 128GB microSDs are fitted.

I was starting to wonder if they've got a new microSD library across Rhea and EOS which is why all my cameras played up on the newer firmwares.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Happy to test here thanks @EMPIRETECANDY

I rolled back all the other cameras to the Bobber 2017 firmware as they all seem to work better with that when 128GB microSDs are fitted.

I was starting to wonder if they've got a new microSD library across Rhea and EOS which is why all my cameras played up on the newer firmwares.
DAHUA make a upgrade for the SD card fail ISSUES about reading or working. Maybe you can make a try later.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Andy, is there an easy way to determine what the model number of my Dahua cameras are without physically going to each camera to look at the label? The PTZ versions indicate on the config tool with the model number, but the turrets simply show up as "IP Camera".

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Andy, is there an easy way to determine what the model number of my Dahua cameras are without physically going to each camera to look at the label? The PTZ versions indicate on the config tool with the model number, but the turrets simply show up as "IP Camera".
Settings>Information>Version via the direct setup webgui.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns - that's the first place I looked. But unless one can determine the model number from the SN or the current firmware versions, I don't know how this would help me figure out what I have...

upload_2018-8-30_12-55-47.png
upload_2018-8-30_12-57-10.png