Find the cat :)

BobbyArcher

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With cold weather coming up, I want to at least give her a chance to make the winter. Walmart had the cooler on sale for 24.99. The local animal store had straw for 9 bucks a bale (I now have most of a bale of straw on hand). The reflective insulated layer is leftovers from insulating my telescope a few years back. Finally, who doesn't have duct tape? :p So basically, her shelter cost me 35 bucks.

View attachment 181148View attachment 181149View attachment 181150View attachment 181151View attachment 181152View attachment 181153View attachment 181147

The last pic is a WiFi cam I have setup in BI to keep an eye on the entrance. I placed the shelter in a protected area on the south side of my house with the entrance facing east. That's all I've got...
I tried that for a feral cat a couple of years ago, using a large styrofoam cooler but she wouldn't use it. I ended up making a lean-to with small openings on both ends and a pet heating pad, she used it all winter!

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I tried that for a feral cat a couple of years ago, using a large styrofoam cooler but she wouldn't use it. I ended up making a lean-to with small openings on both ends and a pet heating pad, she used it all winter!
Yeah, a lot of those same orgs make them out of Styrofoam like you did. I just wanted something a little sturdier. Time will tell...

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
With cold weather coming up, I want to at least give her a chance to make the winter. Walmart had the cooler on sale for 24.99. The local animal store had straw for 9 bucks a bale (I now have most of a bale of straw on hand). The reflective insulated layer is leftovers from insulating my telescope a few years back. Finally, who doesn't have duct tape? :p So basically, her shelter cost me 35 bucks.

View attachment 181148View attachment 181149View attachment 181150View attachment 181151View attachment 181152View attachment 181153View attachment 181147

The last pic is a WiFi cam I have setup in BI to keep an eye on the entrance. I placed the shelter in a protected area on the south side of my house with the entrance facing east. That's all I've got...
Time to stream a live "Cat Cam" to YT!

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
A little catnip went into the house made from a cooler. The other one is by the full-window kitchen door where we feed her (unfortunately on the north side of the house but it is what it is). I only put it up yesterday morning and I'm betting she'll use it first and until the heavy snow hits.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Will it let you get close yet?
When I put food out, she'll touch the back of my hand with her nose and whiskers a few times. But, if I turn my hand around, even slowly, to try and pet her, she immediately backs off. I don't know if it's just because she's partially feral now, or if her previous owner smacked her around. Regardless, I keep working on it.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Maybe letting Ssayer's face get close to her left hook right now.:lol:
Haha! Seriously, I would never let my face get close to a cat or a dog that I am not 100% sure has bonded with me. I had an incident with a German Shepard when I was a kid that had "never bitten" anyone before. The outcome was a bunch of stitches and a ruined 2 week vacation.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Today was the first day I'd say she officially used the house. She showed up at 5:43am and stayed there until she heard me just before 7am and ran to the back door for breakfast. After she had breakfast she went back to where she normally goes to sleep. We have 5"+ of snow coming so, I'm thinking that will change. Also, today was the first day that I was allowed to actually pet her, albeit with the back of my hand. She didn't back up until I turned my hand around. Tiny steps...

First time actually going in for a real length of time
1704978523400.jpeg

Boacat.20240111_054352005.264.jpg

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Very strange! I know overlays work in BI/UI3 here, I'm looking at my weather cam right now with the temp overlay working in UI3. I've set up the exact same thing for this cam, but it's ONLY showing correctly in the local console. On the UI3 side, I get the overlay when that cam is in the camera group, but if I select just that camera, no overlay. I've gone back and forth and back and forth between the two cams and I'm just not seeing what I'm doing wrong. I know it's going to be something that makes me really feel dumb, but...

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Very strange! I know overlays work in BI/UI3 here, I'm looking at my weather cam right now with the temp overlay working in UI3. I've set up the exact same thing for this cam, but it's ONLY showing correctly in the local console. On the UI3 side, I get the overlay when that cam is in the camera group, but if I select just that camera, no overlay. I've gone back and forth and back and forth between the two cams and I'm just not seeing what I'm doing wrong. I know it's going to be something that makes me really feel dumb, but...
Same issue for me and others... there's another thread here somewhere that may have had a workaround but I gave up on it.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Same issue for me and others... there's another thread here somewhere that may have had a workaround but I gave up on it.
Found thread:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
There we go, thanks! bp2008's (of course) advice was, "The only cause I can think of is having enabled "direct to wire" streaming. That would be in Blue Iris Settings > Web Server > Advanced > Configure ". As soon as I disabled direct to wire, it worked!