Not able to see Text Overlay when viewing through ui3 in single view mode

roechas

n3wb
Reaction score
When viewing cameras through web browser ui3. I can select a camera group. I can see all the cameras and the text overlay on each one. If I click on a camera shot. It pulls that shot up full screen. But the text overlay goes away. This just started happening recently. Not sure how to get the text overlay to show up when I have a single shot pulled up.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure you're not zoomed in when you do that? What versions for BI and UI3? Any recent updates?

roechas

n3wb
Reaction score
It doesnt appear to zoom in when I click on the camera. I am able to see the same top of the shot in group and single cam view.
BI Ver: 5.6.2.4
UI3 Ver: 223
I dont think I have done any recent updates. I did update BI. But I was having this issue prior to the BI update.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
When did the problem first appear? There have been multiple problems with the 5.6.x.x series of BI updates. I do have 5.6.2.3 running on a test machine and see no problems with single view. You are using the date/time stamp from the camera and not from BI, right?

roechas

n3wb
Reaction score
I am not sure when it happened. I typically use a group view and don't have an issue seeing the overlay text.. Someone else who views my cameras just notified me recently about the issue.
No I am not using the camera's date/time stamp. I have a BI overlay text that posts temp /wind speed/precipitation values.
1665435597183.png
On this camera I have the temp displayed. On the other cameras, I just have the date/time overlayed. None of the overlay is visible when in single view.
1665435790205.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Check the camera config. The webcast tab and make sure the selection for all three options in the top area are selected.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Take the temperature overlay off and see what happens. How are you generating that overlay?

roechas

n3wb
Reaction score
Its happening on all my cameras. And only happens when viewing them in a web browser and clicking to view the camera in a single shot.
Only one camera has an overlay with the temperature. All my other cameras have the same overlay option enabled but just show date and time.
When I click to view the other cameras in single camera view the date/time is not present.
When I open Blue Iris App and view the camera single shot it does show the date and time.
So I feel like this is an issue with the UI3 settings. But I haven't changed anything, so not sure what turned this overlay option off.
I am generating this overlay just using BI standard overlay option
Camera Properties-->Video--> Edit overlays... button
Then added the date /time text box to the image.
Display overlays live is checked.

roechas

n3wb
Reaction score
Sitting here thinking about it. I am wondering if it's writing the overlay to the substream. Buts its not writing to the Main Stream. So when I am viewing as a group, its displays substream with overlay text. When I click to view camera full screen its switching streams from Sub to Main. The Main stream is not showing overlay text.
But I am not sure where to go from here to see if overlay is writing to the main stream...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any commonality with the browser being used?

Something is going wrong with the overlay. In the second screen cap you posted it appears as an arced line of semi-graphics to me with the date/time stamp being missing. That's why I mentioned shutting off the temperature overlay.

All I can say is that the date/time stamps, camera name stamp and camera model stamps are visible in all of mine, both main and sub streams. I am using them strictly from the cameras only and nothing from BI, which again leads me to suggest shutting off that overlay.

roechas

n3wb
Reaction score
I've tried Chrome and Edge Browser. Both act the same. I removed the substream from the front camera. Didnt change the issue. Overlay still didnt show up in single view.
None of the overlays show up when I click on the camera view in full screen view.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Remove the overlay that is being added by Blue Iris. Sub streams have nothing to do with it. When you single view a camera it is the main stream you're looking at.

erikskyten

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you ever get a fix for this?

This is happening to me. I have 11 cameras, all configured the same, but this problem is happening on two of the cameras.

In the BI admin app, the overlays are there. But, in the UI3 browser app, overlay is missing. But, for the camera where the overlay is missing, if i right click and look at information->HLS stream, I see the overlay in the stream!!

I am running BI 5.7.7.18

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Same issue, I had another thread on it recently, still happening. (I'm on 5.5.9.6)

erikskyten

n3wb
Reaction score
One more clue. If I look at the mjpg stream coming from BI, the stream has the overlay.
So, it appears this problem is only with the the UI3 client

erikskyten

n3wb
Reaction score
OK ... I hacked around until I got it to work. I do not know why 9 of my cameras are fine, and it is just the 2 cameras with the issue... but this is what I found.

If I go to the camera settings->record->video file format and change the video compression from 'direct-to-disk' to 're-encode with settings' ... the overlay showed up in UI3.

I can change this reliably and have the overlay show up or disappear. So, what ever the bug is ... this is what was causing the problem.

before anyone jumps on me for this ... I do have the checkbox selected for overlays in the webcast for all the cameras

The immediate side effect of this was my cpu utilization went up, but I had plenty to spare so for now not an issue.

I hope they fix this, and until then, I hope this helps someone else too

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
OK ... I hacked around until I got it to work. I do not know why 9 of my cameras are fine, and it is just the 2 cameras with the issue... but this is what I found.

If I go to the camera settings->record->video file format and change the video compression from 'direct-to-disk' to 're-encode with settings' ... the overlay showed up in UI3.

I can change this reliably and have the overlay show up or disappear. So, what ever the bug is ... this is what was causing the problem.

before anyone jumps on me for this ... I do have the checkbox selected for overlays in the webcast for all the cameras

The immediate side effect of this was my cpu utilization went up, but I had plenty to spare so for now not an issue.

I hope they fix this, and until then, I hope this helps someone else too
D'oh, didn't even think of that. Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The only cause I can think of is having enabled "direct to wire" streaming. That would be in Blue Iris Settings > Web Server > Advanced > Configure, or in UI3's own streaming profile configuration.

Direct to wire works for live viewing in UI3 and mobile apps, only for cameras that natively send H.264 video. And it may require "direct to disk" recording also, I'm not sure.

For troubleshooting purposes, you can force Blue Iris to use a sub stream when sending video to UI3 if you choose a streaming quality option that is equal or lower resolution than your sub stream (e.g. 360p).