Help with initialisation of empiretech cameras?

BuseyCB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks big red. I only need 3 channels. The third for real time viewing when needed. The second is more in my price range.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn’t shop extensively.
basically you’ll see the 2000, 4000, and 5000 series in the model number.
Next number is how many hard drives, then how many channels
So 4208= 4000 series, 2 hard drive slots, 8 channels

stay away from the 2000 series if you can, and go for 8 even if you only need 4. The added horsepower is worth it even if you run only 4 cameras

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks big red. I only need 3 channels. The third for real time viewing when needed. The second is more in my price range.
Channels are number of cameras, not for real time viewing.

So a 4 channel NVR can support 4 cameras and you can real time view. Unless of course you get a cheapo crappy NVR with low bandwidth and decoding capacity.

BuseyCB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will I need anything in addition to this and also how is the installation I’m hoping it’s as plug and play as possible. Also this is 4 tb where as the one you posted earlier had 6tb. But required a

@wittaj I’ve been taking your advice before I signed up. Which is why I got the cameras. I was in lurk mode before signing up.

Truthfully I was hoping to spend less than £200 but I’ll be purchasing later today if the nvr quoted is the best fit.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't tell if the HD is included or not? I dont think so.
Basically they'll accept whatever size HD you want to put in them within reason. Use WD Purple drives and buy as big as you can afford. 8TB would be great, 4 will be fine

That one has a built in PoE switch so no you wont need anything else

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua NVRs typically don't come with a HDD.

When I click on the link, it only shows a picture of an NVR and a HDD, but no text that is written to confirm it comes with it? I could take that as either it comes with the HDD or it is capable of that drive size.

Many items are advertised with other peripherals that do not come with the purchase.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's someone in the UK you can call (Phone: 0333 3399 549) about that same Dahua NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2 and ask about HDD included, if not how much for 4TB or 8TB, etc.

BuseyCB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok guys got the nvr yesterday on expedited shipping. Which means I’m a part of the Dhua owners group lol.

My laptop is singing. So I’ll setup the nvr as soon as I get some advice/answer to the following. Is the nvr plug and play or do I need a router? If there’s a vid or guide already out there please direct me to it. I’m hoping I can connect the cameras and use a laptop to adjust the settings but I suspect it may not be that simple. I await your directions as always.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I told you that your laptop wouldn't like this 24/7 streaming LOL.

Follow this guide or you will have trouble. Big key is DO NOT PLUG all the cameras in at the same time.

You only need to connect it to the router if you plan to view it remotely.

And yes, you simply connect the laptop to the NVR via a web browser and the IP address of the NVR and then access the cameras that way.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok guys got the nvr yesterday on expedited shipping. Which means I’m a part of the Dhua owners group lol.

My laptop is singing. So I’ll setup the nvr as soon as I get some advice/answer to the following. Is the nvr plug and play or do I need a router? If there’s a vid or guide already out there please direct me to it. I’m hoping I can connect the cameras and use a laptop to adjust the settings but I suspect it may not be that simple. I await your directions as always.
You will first install your HD in the NVR
Before you start, make sure you know the IP range of your home network. (the range your router is using for all devices on your network. Possibly 192.168.1.x but you need to be sure)
Then plug the NVR in and using a monitor and mouse, do the initial basic NVR setup and give it new IP address (default is 192.168.1.108, so change that to something else like 192.168.1.200)
Then you will plug your NVR ethernet LAN port into your home network (switch or router if you must)
Now you can connect to the NVR on the same network via your laptop using its web GUI using the address you gave it (ex: 192.168.1.200)
Follow the basic guidelines of the PSA thread to connect each camera one at a time

BuseyCB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey again guys. Again my apologies.

Do I power the net and connect it to a router?

or

Do I power the nvr and connect it to my laptop?

In my defence, the instructions jumps from power to setup which is why I’m uncertain. Please advise.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Where are you in the priocess?

Did you install the HD?
Did you connect the NVR to a monitor and mouse (not laptop) for initial setup?

BuseyCB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HDD is already installed. I do not have a ‘monitor’ I do have both Mac and windows laptops.

The NVR has a hdmi port which I believe I can connect to my tv and use that as a ‘monitor’

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You can try but I dont think it will work. Typically initial setup of an NVR requires a monitor of some type and a mouse.

Once you have done the basic steps of setup, password and IP address) you can then connect it to your network and access the web GUI on your laptop for all other setup and settings forever.