IPC-HDW5442T-ZE New cam from Dahua :)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with comparing the stated sensor sizes against each other. After re-reading the wikipedia article realize now I made a false statement earlier about the stated size being the diameter of the circle the sensor would fit into. What the article says is the stated size is the outside diameter of a round TV camera tube, whose light sensitive area is about 2/3 of the outside diameter, done this way for the purpose of FOV calculations. Seems to me this created a long-term complication for the purpose of trying to keep it simple for the masses in the short term. So if you believe what the specs say a sensor size is, you're ok comparing against other make-believe sensor sizes. Just not good for believing the size is really what the camera spec says it is.

greymanlife

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I'm a couple years behind and wanting to jump back in and finally get a camera system.

I assume these cameras have been replaced with a better version, what is the updated model I should be looking at now?

Does Dahua have a 4k version of this camera yet?

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

greymanlife

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Excellent! I'm glad I had to wait and there are now 4k turrets available for an affordable price!

What's the best cable to use to install these, CAT6?

Turrets are a lot better than domes right?

What receiver/recorder (not sure of the proper term) to you suggest to use for these 4k cameras and can do up to 8 cameras?

Do you suggest to supplement with IR lighting for the night? I was even considering just going with regular lighting at night, so I don't even know if IR is needed

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Excellent! I'm glad I had to wait and there are now 4k turrets available for an affordable price!

What's the best cable to use to install these, CAT6?

Turrets are a lot better than domes right?

What receiver/recorder (not sure of the proper term) to you suggest to use for these 4k cameras and can do up to 8 cameras?

Do you suggest to supplement with IR lighting for the night? I was even considering just going with regular lighting at night, so I don't even know if IR is needed
If you want to use full color, the IPC-Color4K-T turret is the best for you. The camera led illumination, and give gerat full color pics. Turret always better than dome, but for some business places indoor, dome is better. Dome one not easy to watch where they are watching at.
Amazon.com : EmpireTech IPC-Color4K-T 4K Full-Color Ultra Low Light 8MP 1/1.2" CMOS Smart AI Starlight Turret IP Camera,Build-in Warm LED, Built-in Mic,SMD 3.0,PoE and ePoE,IPC-Color4K-T 3.6mm : Electronics
NVR use this one
amazon.com/EmpireTech-Recognition-Recording-Bandwidth-NVR8CH-8P-2AI/dp/B0BXX3PYXJ/ref=sr_1_1?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.DqLM_jnhHVEP9JrMIeraWNexnGHXk8efW9izDJ-KKuKxwBQIQFr2TetdFWW5JzXOYYx4tcm0ciBoeipq5KWbmA.sBFCDz3xT5ZjR9K2rmjclDiw5gu2hBRUIRMkY9fDpJo&dib_tag=se&keywords=NVR8CH&m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&qid=1716683907&s=merchant-items&sr=1-1

greymanlife

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its still a 4K camera on an undersize sensor, so no it wont be as sensitive as a 4MP with the same sensor.

If you want color at night in a 4K camera and have enough external light or are willing to use the builtin white LEDs, look at the 4K-T or 4K-X.
X- IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Dahua International

T- IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED - Dahua International
Ok sticking with the turrets, I would go with the T model then

@EMPIRETECANDY I see you also suggested this camera in your store:

It seems it's less expensive than the S3 you suggested before - so what is the real difference between these two for the 4K-T to be cheaper. but it's actually better?

The S3 doesn't have color at night? So the footage is black & white at night then?

Thanks!

Last edited:

greymanlife

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm this about this Dahua 4kT camera:

CAMERA IS INFECTED WITH MALWARE!!
Reviewed in the United States on March 19, 2024
Style: 2.8mmVerified Purchase
I always setup network connected devices in an isolated environment, and in this case that approach really paid off.
During setup, the camera prompts you to download (from the cameras embedded firmware) a "webplugin.exe" file, and install it on your computer, to enable viewing the cameras imaging in a browser. The first thing I do with software like that is run it through Virustotal(dot com), and when I did, it lit up with malware warnings from 28 different analyses. (the virustotal identifier for reference is 469705fb3df80c89c67927f4d07e0b3a22ce19811272e86789c18e26e35a8add ).
This camera's going back, and my test environment will be completely wiped.

So now I'm hesitant to trust any of these Dahua cameras.

This is not a knock on you Andy, as I know you are a top seller on here.

But what is this underlying malware issue these cameras seem to come with?

This one too:

3.0 out of 5 stars Good camera but
Reviewed in the United States on November 11, 2023
Style: 6mmVerified Purchase
Good picture quality and easy to adjust settings but I get a lot of notifications from my router blocking the camera from trying to connect to malicious sites. Chinese company so buyer beware limit connection to local only and do not let it connect to the Internet if possible.

Is it just these Dahua cameras that are trying to do this?

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine doesnt try to call home with or without the plugin.
FWIW, Malwatebytes, CCleaner, Bitdefender, and my firewall appliance all ignore it.

If I had to venture a guess with the guy claiming it contacts “malicious sites” , P2P was turned on (default) which by design contacts Dahuas P2P server, that’s how it works. It had nothing to do with the plugin

And BTW, you can just say NO, ignore the plugin request, and the camera works fine.

Security is a valid concern with anything you connect to your network. Those who are all bent around the axle about this plugin should take a look at what their Samsung TV does on outbound connections.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442 S3 he referenced is a traditional camera with IR. ANY camera, with enough light, can run in color at night. For most, there is NOT enough light and thus B&W with IR is the best choice.

BTW - ALL 5442 series have been updated to S3 version many months ago. It’s an upgrade to an existing series, not a “new” camera.

The 4K-T and X are more light sensitive due to a much bigger sensor. The trade off is they do not have IR capabilities. They do have onboard white LEDs to allow them to run in color at night if you’re ok with bright white LEDs running all night.

So different cameras for different use cases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm this about this Dahua 4kT camera:

CAMERA IS INFECTED WITH MALWARE!!
Reviewed in the United States on March 19, 2024
Style: 2.8mmVerified Purchase
I always setup network connected devices in an isolated environment, and in this case that approach really paid off.
During setup, the camera prompts you to download (from the cameras embedded firmware) a "webplugin.exe" file, and install it on your computer, to enable viewing the cameras imaging in a browser. The first thing I do with software like that is run it through Virustotal(dot com), and when I did, it lit up with malware warnings from 28 different analyses. (the virustotal identifier for reference is 469705fb3df80c89c67927f4d07e0b3a22ce19811272e86789c18e26e35a8add ).
This camera's going back, and my test environment will be completely wiped.

So now I'm hesitant to trust any of these Dahua cameras.

This is not a knock on you Andy, as I know you are a top seller on here.

But what is this underlying malware issue these cameras seem to come with?

This one too:

3.0 out of 5 stars Good camera but
Reviewed in the United States on November 11, 2023
Style: 6mmVerified Purchase
Good picture quality and easy to adjust settings but I get a lot of notifications from my router blocking the camera from trying to connect to malicious sites. Chinese company so buyer beware limit connection to local only and do not let it connect to the Internet if possible.

Is it just these Dahua cameras that are trying to do this?

Did you read that whole "malware" thread or just going with the click-bait?

As pointed out in that thread, almost any .exe file that isn't widely used will show up as a virus.

Create your own .exe file and it will show as a virus.

There just aren't many people with that camera exposing it to the internet and thus the antivirus software to make it safe.

As pointed out in that thread, someone ran the .exe and then ran VirusTotal on the files opened up and they are safe.

As @bigredfish points out, there are probably many other things on your network that are more worrisome.

It is why we say do not let these types of devices or any IoT device touch the internet.

And as pointed out - cameras either come with white LED or infrared LED (well some come with both but not the cameras you are looking at).

There is nothing magic about the 4K/T and it still needs light. The camera doesn't defy physics. But if you do not have enough visible light and refuse to use the built-in white LED, then the camera will perform poorly.

greymanlife

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any maleware thread - can you please link to it?

Also, can you also please link to an article about setting up a secured network for these cameras to run on so they won't connect to the internet?

This is my first go at this, so I'm totally new to all of this and want to do it right, and as secure as possible.

I'm adding an Asus VPN router to my home this week, would this help with the online function of these cameras, or the network in general?

I've decided to go with the 4K-T 8MP 1/1.2" full color turrets.

I'm going to order one next week I think and try it out before I build out the entire system.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any maleware thread - can you please link to it?

Also, can you also please link to an article about setting up a secured network for these cameras to run on so they won't connect to the internet?

This is my first go at this, so I'm totally new to all of this and want to do it right, and as secure as possible.

I'm adding an Asus VPN router to my home this week, would this help with the online function of these cameras, or the network in general?

I've decided to go with the 4K-T 8MP 1/1.2" full color turrets.

I'm going to order one next week I think and try it out before I build out the entire system.
1717156179867.png

Reaction score

greymanlife

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I received my 4k-T camera yesterday and trying to figure out what cable to use

I see this camera has a lot of different tails to connect to, what is the best one? Cat6 or 7?

What do I do with the other tails, just tape them up?

What is the exposed wire tail for?