Mini-Review - 5442-ZE-S3 AKA T54IR-ZE-S3 - Replacement to 5442-ZE

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
How do you set the different shutter speeds for day and night with self-adapting? What about different image settings for day and night?
Good question. Right now, I have been doing the daytime settings as I just installed it. I tried to look at the night settings and I could not do it. I will see what happens when it switches over to the nighttime settings. On the other camera I was working with the Day/Night mode and made most of the changes were made at that time. When I went to Self-Adapting most of the changes were still there.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For those with BI, using self-adaptive can result in phantom "No Signal" errors, so if you are OCD and don't like the little triangle and hundreds of "No Signal" warnings, best to stay away from self-adaptiv.

It records fine, but something about it makes BI think a signal is lost.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
RE: The nice thing about this camera is that you can see what is going on in the area. You are not just restricted to the license plate.

I'd say I have to agree about that...with my older 5442-z4's on LPR duty. they are not at 1/250 but they do the job at 1/500 or 1/1000
You can get some other info beside the plates.....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Update on Andy's IPC-B54IR-Z4E-S3 camera located in the pine tree AKA LP4. I am still fighting the same issue with some of the close in plates getting too much light and doing a white out. Shielding the security camera has helped some and also the LP3 location which is doing great. I think I have figured out the problem. I think the problem is that this camera does not like plates close in depending on the angle of the plate. The North bound cars on the other side of the street showing their front plates are doing just fine. Most of the South bound cars showing their rear plates are doing fine but a bunch of them are whiting out. Nothing I have tried is working. So, I think I will move the camera over to the edge of the tree and above my 6B camera and that way I can focus the camera a little further down the street and get more distance in. That is what I will be working on today.
Have you been putting these in the wrong thread :lmao:

There is a Z4E review thread as well

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you been putting these in the wrong thread :lmao:

There is a Z4E review thread as well

Will do. I forgot about that. Thank You.

Cookie Monster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just received this camera from Empiretecandy last Friday and set it up with the recommended setting (from Wittaj?) and so far I have to say that I am very impressed with it, particularly the night vision. Additionally, I have set up a simple tripwire as my main alert, and it has not given any false positives and the moment, whereas previous cameras did. Again, very impressed.

Currently, I have the working mode set to Day/Night Switch - not sure how the other 2 modes differ? However, one thing that I have noticed is that at dusk when it switches over to the Night Profile, it will switch back and forth between colour and B&W even though it is the night profile. A similar thing happens if my security light comes on. It will keep switching between colour & B&W. I had hoped that there may be a setting (I've not been able to find one) that forces the camera to always be in B&W when it is in the night profile. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just received this camera from Empiretecandy last Friday and set it up with the recommended setting (from Wittaj?) and so far I have to say that I am very impressed with it, particularly the night vision. Additionally, I have set up a simple tripwire as my main alert, and it has not given any false positives and the moment, whereas previous cameras did. Again, very impressed.

Currently, I have the working mode set to Day/Night Switch - not sure how the other 2 modes differ? However, one thing that I have noticed is that at dusk when it switches over to the Night Profile, it will switch back and forth between colour and B&W even though it is the night profile. A similar thing happens if my security light comes on. It will keep switching between colour & B&W. I had hoped that there may be a setting (I've not been able to find one) that forces the camera to always be in B&W when it is in the night profile. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Glad you like the camera!

Yes you have to take the day/night setting below off of auto and force it to what you want. So if you want the night to be B/W then switch it to B/W. That will prevent the back and forth.

1701723508379.png

Cookie Monster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply. Attached are my current Night Profile settings. There is another one for day time. As mentioned, even though the camera switches to Night Profile at dusk, it seems if the camera can't decide whether to be in colour or black & white and will switch back and forth between the 2. The same happens when the security light is activated. I'm just looking to see if there is a setting that forces the camera to be always in Black & White when in the Night Profile.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to set up a day profile with shutter speeds and settings appropriate for the day and a night profile with shutter speeds and settings appropriate for the night.

Now this camera is good enough that in the right setting, the settings could be the same for day and night, except the night settings would only work with infrared, so you then need two profiles to force it either color or B/W.

Then under that Day/Night you make day Color and night B/W.

If you don't do that then it will bounce back and forth like you are seeing now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting, I have two of the Z4E -S3 models and they switch from day to night without going back and forth. Now my older 5442 models will go back and forth for a bit during the change from day to night.
It is certainly field of view dependent and camera setup dependent. You are using it for LPR, so the shutter is faster and wouldn't be as touchy as a shutter slowing down to 1/80s

Cookie Monster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is anyone able to advise why I am suddenly not getting any live view, or any camera view whether in the camera settings or IVS settings. Has been working perfectly, but when logging in on my PC tonight, there is no view from the camera. I have logged out several times and also re-booted the camera with no luck.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is anyone able to advise why I am suddenly not getting any live view, or any camera view whether in the camera settings or IVS settings. Has been working perfectly, but when logging in on my PC tonight, there is no view from the camera. I have logged out several times and also re-booted the camera with no luck.
Are you using Internet Explorer or Pale Moon? Maybe Windows switched to Wdge or something weird.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not convinced there's any improvement in daytime. The picture you posted looks brighter but then when you look at the grass it looks less saturated. It looks to me as if the contrast has simply been reduced. The real improvement appears to be at night though. Those colour night time pics are definately a big improvement over the existing ZE. How fast a shutter can you go now at night? Also, whats the DOF comparison or is that still to come, as one of the greats of the old camera was the amount of picture kept in focus.