Mini-Review - 5442-ZE-S3 AKA T54IR-ZE-S3 - Replacement to 5442-ZE

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would you advise to use the timeplan in camera settings for example day and night?
While it is a royal pain to set up the time plan in the new GUI, the fact that we have more than just two profiles to use and can set up a profile for that pesky 2 hour window that needs WDR, I am becoming a fan of the new format.

If all you need are day and night and using BI or some other system that can automate based on sunrise/sunset, then using the APIs to call that probably makes more sense.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Someone in this thread wrote to use self-adaptive to work around the day/night CGI issue. I can't find the original posting, but thank you!

This does provide a work around for getting the day / night profile CGI to function as expected. Works around seems to work on the Z12-S2 as well.

1. Do all your day and night profile settings with camera in Customized Scene mode. I also set all my schedules in customized scene to full time night. Save your settings.
2. Switch the camera to self-adaptive mode. That moves the camera out of Customized Scene mode AND enables the CGI to accept day / night profile changes. I also set self-adaptive to B/W full time, but that is probably not necessary.
The camera will initially operate with the self-adaptive mode settings. However, it WILL accept CGI day / night profile command and actually switch to your previously saved day and night profile settings.
3. Send a day profile, or night profile CGI command (or let Dahua day/night utiltity do it). That will actually switch profiles and that profile will continue to be active.

This takes advantage of what appears to be a useful bug in the firmware. Self-adaptive mode accepts and executes day / night profile changes.

NB: If you go back into the camera GUI, it will switch back Customized Scene mode. Just be sure to switch back to self-adaptive mode and send an appropriate CGI command to set your desired day or night profile.

Last edited:

snapo6

n3wb
Reaction score
Someone in this thread wrote to use self-adaptive to work around the day/night CGI issue. I can't find the original posting, but thank you!

This does provide a work around for getting the day / night profile CGI to function as expected. Works around seems to work on the Z12-S2 as well.

1. Do all your day and night profile settings with camera in Customized Scene mode. I also set all my schedules in customized scene to full time night. Save your settings.
2. Switch the camera to self-adaptive mode. That moves the camera out of Customized Scene mode AND enables the CGI to accept day / night profile changes. I also set self-adaptive to B/W full time, but that is probably not necessary.
The camera will initially operate with the self-adaptive mode settings. However, it WILL accept CGI day / night profile command and actually switch to your previously saved day and night profile settings.
3. Send a day profile, or night profile CGI command (or let Dahua day/night utiltity do it). That will actually switch profiles and that profile will continue to be active.

This takes advantage of what appears to be a useful bug in the firmware. Self-adaptive mode accepts and executes day / night profile changes.

NB: If you go back into the camera GUI, it will switch back Customized Scene mode. Just be sure to switch back to self-adaptive mode and send an appropriate CGI command to set your desired day or night profile.
Thnx, not that familiar as you so what do you actually mean with "send an appropriate CGI command to set your desired day or night profile"?

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

The CGI commands for switching between night and day profiles are….

for night
http://192.168.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].Config[0]=1

for day
http://192.168.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].Config[0]=0

Those CGI commands worked great with older cameras, but don’t work with the new Web 3.0 interfaces firmware unless ones does the Self-Adaptive mode work around
You manually send the CGI commands via a browser or programatically. In python, I do the following two day and night scripts

#==================== NIGHT MODE Python Script =======================

import requests
from requests.auth import HTTPDigestAuth
import time

#street west night ====================
try:
#night profile
url = 'http://192.168.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].Config[0]=1'
requests.get(url, auth=HTTPDigestAuth('user', 'password'))
time.sleep(10)

#focus mode manual = 4, auto = 2, semi auto = 3
url = 'http://192.168.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInFocus[0][1].Mode=4'
time.sleep(1)

#zoom and focus for night position
url = 'http://192.168.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=adjustFocus&focus=0.840556&zoom=0.549917'
time.sleep(1)

#force autofocus
url = 'http://192.168.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=autoFocus&channel=1'
time.sleep(1)
except:
a = 1

#==================== DAY MODE Python Script =======================
import requests
from requests.auth import HTTPDigestAuth
import time

#street west ====================
try:
#day profile
url = 'http://192.168.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].Config[0]=0'
time.sleep(10)

#focus mode manual = 4, auto = 2, semi auto = 3
url = 'http://192.168.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInFocus[0][0].Mode=4'
time.sleep(1)

#set zoom and focus for day position
url = 'http://192.168.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=adjustFocus&focus=0.886111&zoom=0.639767'
time.sleep(1)

#force autofocus
url = 'http://192.168.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=autoFocus&channel=1'
time.sleep(1)
except:
a = 1

fixxxer0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
im scouring all the reviews and threads and having hard time finding out of the 5442 fixed turrets are also upgraded to s3 and have improvements?

one of my 5442 is fogging up internally all of a sudden now, so i think i have to replace it. i have decent light but still need IR, so i think the 4kcolors are going to be a downgrade.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
im scouring all the reviews and threads and having hard time finding out of the 5442 fixed turrets are also upgraded to s3 and have improvements?

one of my 5442 is fogging up internally all of a sudden now, so i think i have to replace it. i have decent light but still need IR, so i think the 4kcolors are going to be a downgrade.
Yes the 5442 fixed turrets are also the S3 update.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Usually can be taken apart and fixed.

fixxxer0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Usually can be taken apart and fixed.
Hmm maybe worth a shot. If water got in somehow, wouldn't it be through a bad gasket or something and will happen again?

There's no 1/1.2" sensor 4mp turret cams right?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Where I've had it with a couple of the Dahau turrets, the fit between the halves loosened up for whatever reason. Opened it up and let it dry out, made sure the rubber gasket surfaces were clean, and tightened the screws. No problems since.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm really impressed with the IPC-T54IR-ZE camera. It definitely seems to be an upgrade compared to my 5442s with night image quality. I'm still trying to dial in my exposure settings. How do these look for Day and Night? Thanks!

1712588122693.png
1712588149188.png

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
looks fine
You know they’re the same camera , just updated to S3
In @wittaj first post. The minimum illumination specs are better, right?

Minimum Illumination old Z4E:
0.002Lux/F1.5 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE)
0.020Lux/F1.5 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE)
0Lux/F1.5 (IR on) IR Distance Distance up to 200m (656ft)

Minimum Illumination new Z4E-S3:
0.0007 lux @ F1.5 (Color, 30 IRE)
0.0004 lux @ F1.5 (B/W, 30 IRE)
0 lux (Illuminator on)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In @wittaj first post. The minimum illumination specs are better, right?

Minimum Illumination old Z4E:
0.002Lux/F1.5 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE)
0.020Lux/F1.5 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE)
0Lux/F1.5 (IR on) IR Distance Distance up to 200m (656ft)

Minimum Illumination new Z4E-S3:
0.0007 lux @ F1.5 (Color, 30 IRE)
0.0004 lux @ F1.5 (B/W, 30 IRE)
0 lux (Illuminator on)
Yes the new S3 chipset is a much better sensor over the original chipset.

But the camera is the same model.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, with the new S3 and the smart plan, does a person even need to use hot spots with BI anymore to get certain areas tripped for movement? Or maybe I'm looking at in incorrectly. Any advice on that? Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, with the new S3 and the smart plan, does a person even need to use hot spots with BI anymore to get certain areas tripped for movement? Or maybe I'm looking at in incorrectly. Any advice on that? Thanks.
Depends on your use case.

The newer AI of the Dahua OEM cameras only trigger for people and vehicles.

So if you want to trigger for animals or anything else, then using BI motion would be the better choice.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about animals I guess, but what else is there other than people and vehicles? Aliens? :)
So, would I even need the motion sensor box checked? Or do I need to at least keep that checking in BI?
Thanks for always willing to be of help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you plan to not use BI motion, then keep that box unchecked and make sure you tell BI to pull ONVIF triggers and tell it to trigger on motion.