PoE Camera Install and Camera Placement

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's a lot better. I've been thinking about putting something up by my camera like a flashing light or something that would force people to look right at it. :D

Another thing to think about (that I learned the hardway) is which direction do people naturally turn around when they leave the door? Here's my current front door cam. The way my property is designed people ALWAYS turn around counter-clockwise because of where the sidewalk is (well, whats left of my sidewalk anyways). So my cam is on the wrong side of the porch and gets their backs a lot.
After looking at your pic, if you are not going to have two cameras there, yes I would move it to catch them as they are at the door and when they turn around to walk away.

I personally liked your first position better. It was closer but could also see the walkup steps a bit better.
I think your right. Glad I found this forum and decided to make some posts. Very helpful... I always say two heads are better than one LOL

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On mine the cam is gonna stay, it's nice to be able to see the ground so you know if you have packages waiting for you, but I have a good spot for a 2nd cam that will get people as they approach. Hopefully this weekend I'll get motivated to work on it.
That's cool...

I was also looking into some of these IRs, are there any posts on them?
not for my pouch, but for my boat and truck parking area.

Long Range 300-400ft IR Illuminator
http://amzn.to/2kyMoj3

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure if any of the daytime or nighttime images are good quality or not...

What are other members videos looking like? Day and Night?

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The project continues... I can tell this install is going to take a long time...

Although I would have liked to have found some round Junction box's, I could only find square Junction box's at Home Depot.

So this is what I did.
I drilled a 1/2" hole into the top side of the junction box, then using a NPT thread tapper, I threaded the hole, and I will be installing a watertight strain relief to run the network cable through.

PC090152.JPG

Tapping in progress LOL

PC090154.JPG

I also drilled a 1/2" hole into the cover of the junction box for the camera cabling to go through.

PC090153.JPG

Here is what the junction box looks like with the cabling in the box, I am also using a thin Cord Channel I got at home depot, it fits into the watertight strain relief snugly... I think I am going to cut off the swivel on the watertight strain relief?, it will depend on how it looks when installed and painted?.

I am also thinking that it would be best to use bolts with nuts to mount the camera to the junction box, because screws may puncture the cabling.

Any Thoughts?

PC090155.JPG

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First, I purchased a Reolink system, when it came in, I decided to search some installs. and this is how I found this forum.
The start of my install...

Then after reading on how some members of this forum do not like Reolink
Reolink - good & bad

It made me do some thinking...

So I stopped posting my Reolink install, before anyone got on my case!
besides I did have an issue with the night vision being blurry

It was than that I started reading on other systems and cameras.

My main purpose is to video all four sides of my house. two on my front porch, two on my back porch. two on the north side of my house , and three on the south side of my house. (garage parking area).

than I have two boats, and need two on poles for the boats, and would like one wireless inside my offshore boat.

So now that I know there is life beyond those prebuilt store systems, I would not mind building my own to my needs, with expansion room...

So I started posting some questions, and reading some threads... (Slow going)

Not all's Lost

I just got an email from Reolink, they send me an RMA number with shipping label to ship their unit back... So now I need to at least order the NVR and at lease one of each of the cameras I wanted to check out, before I order all of them.

So although I stopped my Install, not all was lost, I still found my camera angle. But will need to put things on hold, until I order and get some new Dahua equipment in.

Looking forward to my new build soon.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I started posting some questions, and reading some threads... (Slow going)

Not all's Lost

I just got an email from Reolink, they send me an RMA number with shipping label to ship their unit back... So now I need to at least order the NVR and at lease one of each of the cameras I wanted to check out, before I order all of them.

So although I stopped my Install, not all was lost, I still found my camera angle. But will need to put things on hold, until I order and get some new Dahua equipment in.

Looking forward to my new build soon.
Hi Sam,

As long as you're learning it is all a good investment.