10 gig switch questions

Drpete12

n3wb
Reaction score
hi guys

I am new here and was wondering if some of the mathematicians here can help me out.

If I were to setup a system with 10-15 cameras and would like to run as high a frame rate and resolution as I can (not trying to get into debate of why, just want to know the math) and use a switch that has a 10gbe output, could I have the cameras hooked to the regular 1 gb connections but have the blue iris computer hooked to switch thru 10gbe connection. Does the math support this, in other words would I saturate a 1 gb connection with these parameters an would the switch setup mentioned above allow me to overcome this issue.

Thanks again for any help,

Peter

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hi guys

I am new here and was wondering if some of the mathematicians here can help me out.

If I were to setup a system with 10-15 cameras and would like to run as high a frame rate and resolution as I can (not trying to get into debate of why, just want to know the math) and use a switch that has a 10gbe output, could I have the cameras hooked to the regular 1 gb connections but have the blue iris computer hooked to switch thru 10gbe connection. Does the math support this, in other words would I saturate a 1 gb connection with these parameters an would the switch setup mentioned above allow me to overcome this issue.

Thanks again for any help,

Peter
you dont need 10gig for anything. Dont waste your money.
1Gb switches will leave you tons of heard room. You wont even notice the cameras.
Understand that frame rates and resolution have nothing to do with network bandwidth. All the network cares about is the bitrate.

Drpete12

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply..My understanding (which very well is probable wrong) is that when you increase framerate and resolution then the bitrate goes up. So with roughly 15 cams recording 24/7 I would not max out a gigabit connection? Do get me wrong I will be very happy if I dont have to waste money on more equipment.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply..My understanding (which very well is probable wrong) is that when you increase framerate and resolution then the bitrate goes up. So with roughly 15 cams recording 24/7 I would not max out a gigabit connection? Do get me wrong I will be very happy if I dont have to waste money on more equipment.

Thanks
That is not correct. The cameras have an independent bitrate adjustment. You will NEVER come close to maxing out a gigabit connection even if you had 30 cams at max possible bitrate. DONT waste your money.
also note that max bitrate and frame rates is a foolish move. maxing out the birate decreases storage retention for no gain.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
in other words would I saturate a 1 gb connection with these parameters
@fenderman has answered your query correctly, a 1000Mbps connection will support way more cameras than you have in mind.
As for the arithmetic - lets say 15 cameras at a (highish) bitrate of 8Mbps, that's 120Mbps
That's somewhat over what a single 100Mbps link would handle, but maybe 15% of what a 1Gbps link can handle.