100% CPU Server - Immediate crash when launching admin in 4.4.9.4

Crashcam

n3wb
Reaction score
My machine was pretty taxed when running Blue Iris before the upgrade to 4.4.9.4, but still worked. Now that I upgraded to 4.4.9.4 I get the following:

1) 100% CPU on all 8 CPUs. Immediate crash if I tried to load the admin console.
2) I purchased the android app that used to work. Now I can't connect as it says the server is unreachable. In actuality I think it is timing out because if I test connecting to my Blue Iris server locally with a normal browser on a laptop it shows me the login screen but is super slow.
3) I was running Blue Iris as a service, so I had to deal with the CPU being maxed out right off the boot and then not having enough CPU cycles to go and kill the service. My machine is basically unusable if Blue Iris is running.
4) I finally had to go into safe mode and try and turn off "start as a service" there. I unchecked the box in the admin console.
5) Rebooted into normal mode. Blue Iris still started as a service.
6) Uninstalled and reinstalled 4.4.9.4. Same issues.

Here is the app crash info:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: BlueIris.exe
Application Version: 4.4.9.4
Application Timestamp: 584f2bc2
Fault Module Name: BlueIris.exe
Fault Module Version: 4.4.9.4
Fault Module Timestamp: 584f2bc2
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000008fd20
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: faa9
Additional Information 2: faa90cea74fc7cd82bbd962b8303a954
Additional Information 3: 10af
Additional Information 4: 10af8879cdeb35fdc13b33c8e2631ddf

I am running an Intel i7-2600K CPU @3.4GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500GB plus available on my drives, Intel i3000 video with the latest drivers. I am driving 9 DS-2CD2342WD-I Hikvision cameras. I am running Windows 7 SP1 with the most recent updates.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lower the fps in the cameras to 10fps. make sure each camera is set to direct to disc recording..enable hardware acceleration...lower the live preview frame rate..
are you remoteing into the system with something like teamviewer?

Crashcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I lowered all of the cameras down to 4 FPS from 20 FPS. I was able to start Blue Iris!

All of the cameras were already set to direct to disc recording.

Preview FPS was set to 15.

I noticed the following when it came to enabling hardware acceleration:

No hardware acceleration: Everything looked good. All preview windows worked. Memory sat around 5 GB and the CPU hovered around 25%.
Hardware acceleration (H.264): None of the cameras appeared on the console. They all showed "no signal".
Hardware acceleration (H.264+post): All CPUs immediately went to 100% when starting Blue Iris.

In my case, apparently no hardware acceleration was clearly the way to go.

I also lowered my preview record time from 10 to 5 seconds.

I set all 9 cameras up to 10 FPS and now the CPU is hovering around 50% and memory around 5 GB.

Now the bigger question is what was added in this version that made my previous configuration of all of my cameras set to 20 FPS work, but now tax my machine into the oblivion if I try that same configuration?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I lowered all of the cameras down to 4 FPS from 20 FPS. I was able to start Blue Iris!

All of the cameras were already set to direct to disc recording.

Preview FPS was set to 15.

I noticed the following when it came to enabling hardware acceleration:

No hardware acceleration: Everything looked good. All preview windows worked. Memory sat around 5 GB and the CPU hovered around 25%.
Hardware acceleration (H.264): None of the cameras appeared on the console. They all showed "no signal".
Hardware acceleration (H.264+post): All CPUs immediately went to 100% when starting Blue Iris.

In my case, apparently no hardware acceleration was clearly the way to go.

I also lowered my preview record time from 10 to 5 seconds.

I set all 9 cameras up to 10 FPS and now the CPU is hovering around 50% and memory around 5 GB.

Now the bigger question is what was added in this version that made my previous configuration of all of my cameras set to 20 FPS work, but now tax my machine into the oblivion if I try that same configuration?
Hardware acceleration does not work in windows 7 if running as a service...
you can still upgrade to 10 for free Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users
or disable running as a service...dont use vpp, its only meant when using a few cams...