100% CPU usage every Saturday

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running a i7-9700 with Windows 10 Pro and BI version 5.7.8.3. I run 21 cams, all with substreams, 19 with 15fps and three with 20 fps, and no AI or BI motion detection (I use external triggers from the cams' AI). Normally, it runs at 15 percent CPU usage. Once a week--on Saturdays--Blue Iris is at 100 percent CPU usage and I have to restart the PC to get it going again. I only use this PC for BI and nothing else, so I disabled antivirus and turned off folder indexing, but this is still happening. Because of the one week interval I have to assume that it's a Windows 10 service that I need to disable, but which one? Any ideas appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running a i7-9700 with Windows 10 Pro and BI version 5.7.8.3. I run 21 cams, all with substreams, 19 with 15fps and three with 20 fps, and no AI or BI motion detection (I use external triggers from the cams' AI). Normally, it runs at 15 percent CPU usage. Once a week--on Saturdays--Blue Iris is at 100 percent CPU usage and I have to restart the PC to get it going again. I only use this PC for BI and nothing else, so I disabled antivirus and turned off folder indexing, but this is still happening. Because of the one week interval I have to assume that it's a Windows 10 service that I need to disable, but which one? Any ideas appreciated.
Is your database set to compact on Saturdays only?

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a weekly Windows task schedule to shutdown and restart Windows. That is set to go off every Monday at 7.34 am. I run 13 cameras on a HP Elitedesk (i7 6600) and haven't run into your issue. I've turned off the Anti-virus thing, defragmentation of the drives and plus ran a de-bloater script over it (look up Chris Titus debloat Windows- free script). For my 13 cams, as I look across to the screen, the CPU is idling along at 7%.

EDIT: A car just drove past, motion detected across 4 cameras, CPU spiked to 13% then back to 6%.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had the 100% CPU usage thing last weekend on Windows 11, when I attached via RDP, there was the Windows Update taskbar icon. Applied the update, rebooted, CPU consumption gone.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a weekly Windows task schedule to shutdown and restart Windows. That is set to go off every Monday at 7.34 am. I run 13 cameras on a HP Elitedesk (i7 6600) and haven't run into your issue. I've turned off the Anti-virus thing, defragmentation of the drives and plus ran a de-bloater script over it (look up Chris Titus debloat Windows- free script). For my 13 cams, as I look across to the screen, the CPU is idling along at 7%.

EDIT: A car just drove past, motion detected across 4 cameras, CPU spiked to 13% then back to 6%.
I may give that a shot. I forgot to mention that I also have disk defragmentation turned off for all of the drives.