100% CPU Utilization and Blue Iris Crashed?

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought an used HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF with Intel i5-8600 CPU. I installed 16GB Ram and noticed that the CPU has been running at 100% capacity. I'm running only 6 cameras. Trying to figure out how to optimize the system so it doesn't run at 100 % capacity. A few times the BI has crashed too. Not sure if running the Code AI on all cameras causing this?

1686947458762.png

1686947433740.png

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you done all of the optimizations in the wiki? Substreams are a must.

What cameras? Do they have AI and you could let the camera do the heavy lifting?

Is BI excluded from antivirus?
Yea, i have done most of the optimizations in the wiki except the time overlay. I didn't exclude windows defenders scan on BI folders, just added that.

I have the following cameras:

1) 2 X old LaView 2MP cameras
2) 1 X IPC-Color4K-T180
3)3 X IPC-T5442T-ZE

Should I use the AI of the newer DaHua cameras?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, i have done most of the optimizations in the wiki except the time overlay. I didn't exclude windows defenders scan on BI folders, just added that.

I have the following cameras:

1) 2 X old LaView 2MP cameras
2) 1 X IPC-Color4K-T180
3)3 X IPC-T5442T-ZE

Should I use the AI of the newer DaHua cameras?

Thanks.
You have something setup incorrectly if the system is always at 100. What are your ai settings?

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
uncheck use main stream. But there is something else wrong. What is the cpu usage when no cameras are triggering?
I unchecked main stream, the CPU usage is shown at 1-2% now.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry to bother, BI is still running at over 90% of the CPU, not sure what's causing it? Don't see anything is triggering.

1687369937828.png

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. I changed from Intel VPP to Intel for now.
Ok that’s a change for the positive as for me using just Intel from VPP lowered my CPU usage but you really need to disable it to try and get back to a stable system. Then enable it on a cam by cam basis to try and identify if any particular cam might be causing an issue.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quick Sync (Intel GPU) isn't needed anymore. That was only needed back before substreams were introduced. The substreams allowed other CPUs without QuickSync to be used. For kicks I disabled it and deleted the driver and my system ran fine LOL.

A GPU is only needed if you plan to go heavy on CodeProject instead of using the built-in AI of the cameras. But many are showing the CPU version of CodeProject is more stable than the GPU version, so you should be fine with a 10th gen processor.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration several updates into when AI was added.

Hardware Acceleration is when you offload the video to the internal GPU/Quick Sync.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, but the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (internal or external) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not using hardware acceleration.

But if you use HA, use plain intel and not the variants.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is happening again, high utilization of CPU by BI. This has happened every couple weeks, if I reboot the pc, it will be fine and then this happens again. Any way to troubleshoot the root cause?

1689458384337.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is happening again, high utilization of CPU by BI. This has happened every couple weeks, if I reboot the pc, it will be fine and then this happens again. Any way to troubleshoot the root cause?
Did you disable hardware acceleration as was previously suggested?

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you disable hardware acceleration as was previously suggested?
Hi TonyR, I changed from Intel VPP to Intel and it seems to be working fine for several weeks until now. I just changed it to No. Also checked there's no decoding at camera level.