10MP IP camera suggestions...

ilmrfd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are there any other 10MP IP cameras on the market? I've been testing the ACTi E77, but wanted to give it a fair shake against other models that may be out there.

- Thanks

ilmrfd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think you will find the 10mp cameras night vision to be poor unless the area is very well lit. Also you will max out at 6fps at 10mp. See @networkcameracritic review. http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2254
Thanks, we did check out the review prior to getting one in for testing, and as you mentioned we're worried about poor low-light performance at 10MP. So we had planned on using them only where we're certain we have adequate lighting. I was just wondering if there are any other 10MP offerings out there that have a larger sensor to improve low light performance.

ilmrfd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see Arecont has the AV10115v1 10MP offering, but haven't found any good reviews of it.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't believe anyone can give you that level of megapixels and good low light performance. Arecont has never led the industry in low light performance, so not sure it would work better than the ACTi E77. An alternative might be to get 2 Axis P3367-VE that are 5MP each, they do well in low light but might be slightly pricier than the E77 ;)

Burbo

n3wb
Reaction score
Poor low light performance is a result of more(smaller) pixels on the same surface area. Bigger pixels=better low light

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 2 E77s and would not buy another. ACTI seems to have cut a lot of corners to pack 10MP in there at that price.

Some problems:

• 10MP images look like they are upscaled from 5mp. You get distinct stairstepping patterns on what should be sharp diagonal lines in the image.
  • Digital noise reduction needs to be on for night video to be even partially acceptable, but it significantly degrades image quality during the day.
  • WDR has absolutely no function on either of my 2 cams.
  • The maximum bit rate is only 6 Mbps.
  • The on-screen timestamp is ridiculously small on 10mp video. Even at max bit rate it often gets badly smeared by compression artifacts.

Further, one of my E77s has bad focus that didn't even get fixed after I RMA'd it to ACTI where they supposedly "repaired" it. Last week I replaced it with a Hikvision 2332 (3MP turret) with a 2.8mm lens. This is nearly as wide of a view angle, and the image quality and detail level is much better despite this camera being only about one third the resolution. I moved the ACTI E77 into my garage where the bad focus is less of a problem, but it still is pretty bad.