150 IP Camera Project : Need Suggestions

Amol Pawar

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear all,

Previously i have worked on lot of CCTV Project. This 150 IP Cameras project for college is challenge for me.

We have decided to use Dahua 4Mp IP Cameras. Network will be on fiber-optic using GPON technology so my each port is of 2.5G. Recording will be for 15 days minimum.

I want to set all Cameras to 1080p minimum @ 30 fps. Now I want build NVR which should cater this. What would be hardware specifications i need? Also which surveillance software i should use. (Please don't suggest per camera licence softwares, Softwares like Blue Iris will be ok.)

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dear all,

Previously i have worked on lot of CCTV Project. This 150 IP Cameras project for college is challenge for me.

We have decided to use Dahua 4Mp IP Cameras. Network will be on fiber-optic using GPON technology so my each port is of 2.5G. Recording will be for 15 days minimum.

I want to set all Cameras to 1080p minimum @ 30 fps. Now I want build NVR which should cater this. What would be hardware specifications i need? Also which surveillance software i should use. (Please don't suggest per camera licence softwares, Softwares like Blue Iris will be ok.)
You will need an enterprise solution...get ready to pay...saying please dont suggest per camera license software doesnt take away from the fact that you need it...you underbid this project or if you are in house, you need help.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another thing, you say 1080p@30fps but clearly it is not the important information, what you need to define is the Bitrate you want because it is what will will define your bandwidth and storage size and for 150 video streams 24/7 you'll have to setup a low latency high I/O storage system.

Last edited:

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you also have long term retention/archive requirements or just a "recent history" of <90 days? I don't know anything about BI yet but without SQL or ORACLE db running the show I would think there would be limitations (performance, efficiency or even caps) for indexing clips and events from 150 cameras. Will you need to consider data redundancy via SAN replication or something to protect at least some of the data? IDK that 5-10 separate BI instances and the massaging of that type of config would save you anything in the long run vs an enterprise solution. Even if this is a multi-facility, campus type implementation where you could logically break the total project down into separate instances, someone, somewhere is going to want overview access. I defer entirely to the experts here on IP Cam specific stuff, I am just thinking from a POV where I have implemented hundreds or thousands of small business solutions in an enterprise and they were all shit with only a few exceptions.