16 cam Lorex system functioning abnormally

Reaction score
I'm having similar issues when I plug in my Home Network Ethernet Cable into a Lorex 4k NVR it kills all my Broadband to a trickle.
I can briefly view my Cameras on my Mobile but it looses connectivity. I have had it working for over a year and only since changing my ISP have I had regular issues.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Best not to pass camera and NVR video traffic though the ISP router.
Some routers can't handle the additional load, impacting the routing task.
Connect the NVR and cameras via a switch, and connect the router to the switch.

Reaction score
Best not to pass camera and NVR video traffic though the ISP router.
Some routers can't handle the additional load, impacting the routing task.
Connect the NVR and cameras via a switch, and connect the router to the switch.
I only have two cameras at the moment connected to my NVR that has eight ports if required. The two cameras are plugged into the NVR using PoE. As a stand alone system it all works fine. When I connect my switch to the port for the Ethernet that's when it causes problems. My cameras when viewed from my PC often seem to go offline & I have to go into the settings and refresh them.

When I was with Virgin Media the system seemed okay but it was up to 100Mbps I now am with BT with 55 Mbps I wonder if this is the issue?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
When I was with Virgin Media the system seemed okay but it was up to 100Mbps I now am with BT with 55 Mbps I wonder if this is the issue?
Internet download speed will not be relevant if you are talking about a problem with local access on your LAN.

When I connect my switch to the port for the Ethernet that's when it causes problems.
By 'switch' do you mean an ethernet port on the ISP router?
And is the PC also connected to the ISP router?
If so, video traffic is flowing via the ISP router switch ports between NVR and PC while you are viewing the NVR Live View or Playback.

Reaction score
No there is a switch between my BT router and the NVR unit. On the back of my NVR I have plugged the blue patch lead that came with the NVR unit from the switch to the NVR output as per the instruction set up sheet. I need to double check if there are any other Ethernet connections on the back aside from the unused camera ones.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does the problem only occur when the PC is being used to view the NVR?
Is the PC connected to the switch or the ISP router?